Free view channels over the Internet?

Adam_

Is it possible?

I currently have virgin for all my tv and Internet providings and do not have an outside antenna. My two kids have tv's in their rooms and can access iplayer etc via wifi but they have asked if they could get proper tv channels.

Is there a way of doing this using what they already have?

What they have is.

1 x smart tv

1 x normal tv

1 x ps4

1 x ps3

Or without having to spend a lot?

Edited by Adam_

A lot of the main channels have their own apps for playing programs. Something like a Chromecast would let you get those there is an app for.

A Chromecast is about £30 and would plug into the telly.

Smart TV might give you some channels built in. If it doesn't have wifi you could use some powerline networking kit to put a connection in the bedroom. I use it round the house to take the load of the cheap wifi router.

Edited by Aspman

Apps depend on the TV, Panasonic for example only has iPlayer and even that does not allow viewing live TV since they expect you to use the TV function for that. Most of the Smart TV Apps will be the same, use for catchup only.

As mentioned your best bet is to get a chromecast and the play from a smartphone/tablet to the TV, however the picture quality can be iffy on larger screens.

You could always install a distribution amplifier and run individual aerial cables to the TVs.

No loft. it's been converted to bedrooms.

Tbh I'm not really interested in spending money so they can watch live TV. They are spoiled enough as it is.

I mean I never had a telly in my bedroom until I left home. They don't know how lucky they are.

Got a tv licence.

Thought there would be a way of watching live TV over the Internet through an actual television.

We do have a hudl tablet. Could that be connected to the tv?

You can get a program to install on your PS/laptop called Kodi  you can also buy small boxes with it already built in quite cheap, these just plug into your Tv's HDMI socket

With the above you can watch lots of live TV programs and lots of films if not thousands.

you can find other useful info here about KODI at totalXBMC

Kodi is a live streaming program, so if your on Virgin you should have no problem with it.

• Like 1

BBC and ITV players give you their channels live anyway.

Kodi / XBMC gives you lots of options called add-ons.

For instance the addon called Expat TV lets you watch Brit freeview anywhere.

The addon called Navi-X lets you watch almost anything anywhere - like Sports channels from anywhere in the world or movies.

Kodi can run on Windows, Mac, Android, IOS, Linux but not PS I think

In the past I had hacked PS1 PS2 PSP that could play or watch almost anything so there must be something similar out there for PS3 / PS4.

Edited by camelspyyder

The Hudl has a HDMI port on it.

I believe it's a Micro HDMI connector.

Phil

Yes so does my Toshiba tablet, so I am watching streamed TV in the US through the tablet wifi with a HDMI connection to the TV.

• 1 year later...

Thinking in an older frame of mind, and assuming that kids rooms are upstairs /you have a reasonable bit of loft space and can get a signal, why not try a loft aerial and a splitter amp. Then your next mission is to block the channels you don't want them to watch.