DSG jumping out of gear

Hi,

Back in February I took delivery of a Black MY15 Superb L&K estate with DSG, 4X4 and 170bhp Diesel Engine which is very nice.

What isn't nice is that the DSG on a couple of occasions has decided to effectively jump out of gear and leave me with no drive even though I have my foot on the accelerator.

I have taken it into my dealer, who has had it for 6 days and has not been able to replicate the fault.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with the DSG box - if so how was it fixed?

I'm a little apprehensive having the car back as you can guarantee that it will fault for me within days which will then involve an argument with the garage to get them to re look at it.

I have video footage of one of the times when the problem occurred but the dealership, understandably, needs to have their diagnostic computer plugged in whilst it is faulting.

Should I accept the car back or should i dig my heals in with Skoda UK and not accept it back until they have diagnosed the fault as its a safety concern?

Here's a link to the wobbly footage of the fault.

https://youtu.be/-3xCzPU7238

Cheers

Edited by stokie_nav

I've spent the last 6 days trawling Google and You tube and I am inclined to agree with you Phil. The problem is that there were no error codes reported by the on board computer so the dealership are finding it very difficult to diagnose and wont just go and try swapping parts until they fix it.

I have raised a complaint with Skoda UK on the grounds of safety as I wont feel safe driving it knowing that it may well happen again.

The problem originally occurred last Thursday when the ambient temperature was around 19 degrees but also happened the following morning when the temperature was around 7 degrees and i had just pulled off the drive so the gearbox was stone cold (so the viscosity of OIL (as per the original recall on the DSG box a few years ago) shouldn't apply to this..

Just got to wait for SUK now to see what they are gonna do about it.

Lee 

I was toying with the idea of a DSG in my next Superb, but the thought of this puts me off big time. The car will be a taxi, so I won't be able to afford to have it in the dealership for days at a time while they try to find the fault.

The mechatronic unit and clutch packs are well documented failures with these gearboxes so I don't understand why VW don't man up and sort it out.

Edited by Jaytip

No fault codes suggests something far less sinister then.

If there was a fault with mechatronics or worn clutches then I'm pretty sure a fault would be logged.

The 7 speed DSG is the one with all the faults. 6 speed DSGs are not as common as you may think. If you search for problems then yeah you will find them. Equally if you do a search on 6 speed manual gearbox problems you will also find loads (I know because I've had them too!).

There is a guy on here that recently got rid of an Octavia 2.0 PD140 DSG. He had over 500,000kms on it with no problems. Only got rid as he was upgrading. The car continues to be used as a daily driver too I believe.

Phil

I was toying with the idea of a DSG in my next Superb, but the thought of this puts me off big time. The car will be a taxi, so I won't be able to afford to have it in the dealership for days at a time while they try to find the fault.

The mechatronic unit and clutch packs are well documented failures with these gearboxes so I don't understand why VW don't man up and sort it out.

What you need to remember is that on most forums you will only hear the bad things, people post when they have problems, like the original poster very few of the 1000's of happy and trouble free owners will post to say so.. :)

If I had taken notice of forums I would never have had a car with a DPF or DSG ;)

• Like 1

What you need to remember is that on most forums you will only hear the bad things, people post when they have problems, like the original poster very few of the 1000's of happy and trouble free owners will post to say so.. :)

If I had taken notice of forums I would never have had a car with a DPF or DSG ;)

I hear what you are saying. I guess that tends to be the nature of forums. Most people come online to ask about a problem they have and not to say how reliable their car has been.

If anything the video linked should be all the evidence a dealer or SUK would need to show there is a fault, clearly its faulty and not working correctly.

Faults do not always get recorded, the car may believe nothing is wrong but in this case there obviously is.

Show the video to the dealer, they should no longer be required to replicate the fault.

I am on my 6th Superb, with 170 CR and DPF 5 with DSG . I have never had any DPF problems. The light does show on turning on ignition but that is all. Never had one that has been regenerating when switching off, i.e. fan running and the hot smell. They might have done regens on the road but never noticed anything. (if working properly you should not know if it is regenerating).  DSG again never had a single problem with one, the latest has been the best in all respects, shifts not noticed unless flooring it, never driven for economy but the fastest safe speed A to B. Most driving in rural Cornwall, but quite a few motorway runs. So not the best for DPF or DSG, of course nothing is perfect but as stated above you only hear of bad cars, I may have been lucky having had no problems but none on 6 Superbs that speaks for itself they are reliable. Models have been L&K but this makes no difference to the mechanics. Next car will be without doubt another Superb, CR engine and DSG.

I'd definitely be taking the video in to the dealer for them to look at maybe even put it on a memory stick so they can take a copy of it. I'd also speak to SUK and again give em access to the video so as to show what is happening.

When I spoke to Skoda when I ordered my car last year, I spoke to a very nice and helpful lady called Kate.... She promised to call me every 2 weeks from the day I asked a question about the car and couple of weeks after ordering... She kept her word! I had a call every 2 weeks to let me know what was happening, even if there was nothing to report, I even had 2 calls a month after delivery to make sure all was OK... 

Ask to speak to her, she is fantastic and a credit to Skoda!

Looking at the selected gear indication on the MFD display, I see that D, D2 and D3 are mainly indicated, but that P flashes up a couple of times too!

• Like 1

Intermittent faults can be a nightmare.not just with cars.

My approach to car intermittent faults is to phone the service manager (get his/her email) explain your fault best you can and if they say they know about the fault,all is good.

If they say   "never heard of that fault "   then sent SM an email stating your fault inc photos,video,sounds and ask the SM to research the fault BEFORE you take your car to the dealer !

Otherwise youl be fobbed off with the reply "no fault at this time"  which is so unhelpful :thumbdown: .

All the best,wish you success

• Like 1

Update - I refused to take the car back on safety grounds - the issue got escalated to the factory who watched the video and diagnosed the fault as the mechtronic pack on the gearbox which is a special order item [emoji17]. All being well I should have it back at the end of this week - let's hope it's fixed the problem....

• Like 4

Good news in that they took your footage on board and used it to diagnose..... Imagine the problems you'd have had in the days before smart phones. :)

Let us know how the car is when you get it back..... It'll be worth the wait in the end I'm sure. ;)

Mechtronics arrived today - garage now decides need a gasket that they won't get until tomorrow. Car won't be ready until Tuesday - that 3 days short of a month it's been with them and I've been driving around in a Passat. On the plus side the Passat is averaging 60 mpg [emoji1]

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my car Wednesday morning and it's like driving a completely different car. The gear changes are now so smooth it's hard to tell when it's changing gear. The fuel economy is miles better as well, before the mechtronics pack was changed I struggled to get 40mpg - now, on one recent trip down the m6, I'm getting 55mpg. Can only assume that the pack has been faulty since the car was new - hopefully that's the last problem I'll have with it (fingers crossed)[emoji1]

• Like 3