Engine Knock - 2014 diesel

eribaMotters

I had to give the car some revs yesterday soon after setting off in the morning. At about 2500rpm I heard a bottom end engine knock, and thought ohh. I then realised temp gauge was not even registering. On the way home with gauge up to 90 I pushed the revs to 3000rpm without any result.

I am guessing it was advisable not to do this on a cold engine, but do you think I should mention this when in for its first service?

Colin

Engine has just over 6000 mile and oil level good, with no oil consumption over last 5000 miles.

Only occured when pushed fairly hard. When accelerated normally a few seconds later through same revs no problem.

Colin

I would not mention when in for service, unless you hear that sound a few more times.

I go to around 3000 within half mile of home, when hot I occasionally go to 4500 revs.

Mine feels all OK after 25000 miles.

Good luck and continue to enjoy your Yeti.

Maybe you need to eliminate traction control cutting in, if you accelerate on a slippery or wet surface, you can get a knock, as the wheels establish grip.

Not done this on the Yeti, but found the Picasso could do it.

Maybe you need to eliminate traction control cutting in, if you accelerate on a slippery or wet surface, you can get a knock, as the wheels establish grip.

Never found that with mine.

Engine has just over 6000 mile and oil level good, with no oil consumption over last 5000 miles.

Only occured when pushed fairly hard. When accelerated normally a few seconds later through same revs no problem.

Colin

Colin

I've never had that on either of mine (110 and 140) but if it worries you enough to post on here it wouldn't hurt to mention when next at your dealers, even if only to get reassured and have your concern logged in case of future problems.

I only added the last part after reading some other posters having trouble with Skoda admitting liability for some members here.

Fred

What's this "traction control" thing? Is it another of those features the clever b****y car chooses not to tell me about? :devil:

Fred

What's this "traction control" thing? Is it another of those features the clever b****y car chooses not to tell me about? :devil:

Fred

You have traction control and there is a button to turn it off, although I wouldn't advise it.  It works automatically so you don't have to worry about it.

You have traction control and there is a button to turn it off, although I wouldn't advise it.  It works automatically so you don't have to worry about it.

Oh, that's good, my SE hasn't got that so one up for me  over the car! :thumbup::smirk:

Fred

All Yeti's have it.

ASR: Anti-slip regulation traction control ensures the Yeti’s stability when pulling away or accelerating.

If the engine power or torque being transmitted to the drive wheels is too great, for example on a slippery road surface, engine torque is automatically reduced until optimum road holding returns, thus preventing wheelspin.

A light indicates whether the ASR system is on.

It can be manually switched off.

• Like 1

Oh, that's good, my SE hasn't got that so one up for me  over the car! :thumbup::smirk:

Fred

Yes you have Fred.

It's one of the buttons below the "radio".

• Like 1

Yes you have Fred.

He needs to put his reading glasses on to see it Graham  :D

IT'S THE BUTTON NEAREST YOU LEFT LEG FRED :D  

• Like 1

Someone else told him something similar... years ago now.

• Like 1

Well what do you know? 4 years Yeti ownership and I'm still learning. Mind you I had to look from outside the car, I couldn't see it when seated. :nerd:

I seem to remember using something similar on my Roomster when stuck in snow but I stayed stuck in snow so I assumed it wasn't activated, or something. :swear:

Fred

Yeti-1

Fred-0

• Like 3

Someone else told him something similar... years ago now.

I admire your recall, cherish it. Me, if it wasn't less than an hour ago and not food or drink, I've forgotten it already.

What was the question?................ :notme:

Fred

• Like 2

Yes you have Fred.

The ONLY button below the radio and I didn't know it was there!

Fred

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Credit where it's due to Essex Skoda at Rayleigh.

Car went in for testing today. The mechanic managed to repeat the knock when accelerating hard on a cold engine. He also managed it when putting the engine under load in 5th when trying to pull 20mph. ie both what I would call cases of abusive load on an engine.

The mechanic decided to test another car and got one off the forecourt with the same series/code of engine. It also behaved exactly the same.No engine fault codes showed up on either vehicle.

He did recall an Octavia with the same problem, that he cleared by deleting glow plug settings from the ecu, and then re-installing. To his knowledge the Octavia did not return. He could not do this on my vehicle as no error codes showed and as such he would not get authorisation to delete and re-install settings.

At the end of the day he believes it is diesel knock. The tolerances on glow plug settings are so fine that when an engine is pushed outside normal working parameters ignition is not 100% as it should be.

A quick search of the internet shows this to be a characteristic and not a fault.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters