which Octavia to buy?

Hi all I am looking to buy a new estate on solutions, I was thinking of an Elegance as I can not afford a VRS, I do about 10k a year, I wonder if anyone can suggest the best engine to get and if anyone has managed to bag a good deal lately, thanks for your help.

Hi, just got our new elegance estate on Friday night. It's a 2.0 diesel 4x4 saved over £2000 by using the carwow website. Engine is great in the 2.0 diesel but I would have a look at the petrol also if I were you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With that sort of milage I'd suggest you go and test drive the 1.4 tsi, unless you particularly want a diesel. If you do want one of those try the 2.0l 150ps. Both will have decent performance, though obvoiusly not in vRS territory. I'm not ofait with solutions, but if it's a pcp type finance deal check the gfv as the residuals on the mk3 don't seem very good at the moment from comments I've seen from those who've got one. Good luck.

the 1.2 is a cracking engine but if you want the SEL trim you need to buy the 1.4. I just ordered one on Friday and got some great deals on carwow which my local (and preferred dealer) got pretty close to matching (the price was higher but trade in he offered got bumped up).   

Personally having driven the 1.2 it is perfectly adequate and I would happily have bought one but SUK won't let you pair Octy SEL trim with 1.2 even though you can on the Yeti.

I do 11k p.a. and the 1.4TSI worked out best for me even with the DSG box it was still some £1,400 cheaper than a diesel.  Very nippy, very smooth and still has loads of pull in it, I even towed cars on trailers. 

If you've gotta have DSG don't go anywhere nearly a diesel, they just ain't made for each other.

Don't read anything into my fuel consumption, nobody drives like me and I only used to get 40mpg outta my old Mk2 2.0 TDI manual.

Edited by themanwithnoaim

Just to emphasise how well-suited the 1.4TSi DSG is to average mileage, my (1,200 mile old) SE hatch is currently averaging 46mpg, and showing signs of edging up a little now that the engine's run-in. It's also free road tax in the first year, £30 a year afterwards.

Mark my words, the way things are going I doubt diesel will maintain its low tax status in the years to come.

• Like 1

I do 11k p.a. and the 1.4TSI worked out best for me even with the DSG box it was still some £1,400 cheaper than a diesel.  Very nippy, very smooth and still has loads of pull in it, I even towed cars on trailers. 

If you've gotta have DSG don't go anywhere nearly a diesel, they just ain't made for each other.

Don't read anything into my fuel consumption, nobody drives like me and I only used to get 40mpg outta my old Mk2 2.0 TDI manual.

I agree that the DSG is better matched to the petrol engines than to the diesels but it is perfectly acceptable with the diesels.  I would say that the main drawback of DSG with a diesel engine is that Sports mode is then useless as it holds the revs way too high for the diesel engine.  I avoid that by using Manual instead of Sport - my car as the steering wheel paddles.

• Like 1

I agree that the DSG is better matched to the petrol engines than to the diesels but it is perfectly acceptable with the diesels.  I would say that the main drawback of DSG with a diesel engine is that Sports mode is then useless as it holds the revs way too high for the diesel engine.  I avoid that by using Manual instead of Sport - my car as the steering wheel paddles.

+1 for semi-auto use even with the 1.4TSI its way easier to stay in the engine's torque band rather than just waiting for the redline and the DSG to change up automatically also, due in part to the air intake, filter arrangements, the 1.4TSI seems a little slower from 5-6k revs than the twin charger version. 

Although, semi-auto change up at 4k revs sounds less sporty it doees throw you down the road faster.

Just to emphasise how well-suited the 1.4TSi DSG is to average mileage, my (1,200 mile old) SE hatch is currently averaging 46mpg, and showing signs of edging up a little now that the engine's run-in. It's also free road tax in the first year, £30 a year afterwards.

Mark my words, the way things are going I doubt diesel will maintain its low tax status in the years to come.

low tax status? 

Diesel is more heavily taxed at the pumps and BIK rates are higher (although that is resolved next year when petrol & diesel rates become aligned).

So I'm not sure what low tax status you're referring to.

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper

Another 1.4 TSi fan (manual) here, though I must admit I still miss my 1.8 TSi Mk. 2.

The 1.4 is surprising lively and very economical on fuel.

Even 4 up and with weekend luggage I thought it would lose most of its sparkle - it didn't!

the residual value on the diesel is higher which offsets some of the savings with the petrol model. i have a 2.0 diesel dsg and it was cheaper on pcp than the 1.4 petrol dsg.

the diesel is still really good with the dsg so it is personal choice really.

test drive both and make your own mind up!

• Like 1

the residual value on the diesel is higher which offsets some of the savings with the petrol model. i have a 2.0 diesel dsg and it was cheaper on pcp than the 1.4 petrol dsg.

Thats a moot point (try talking to Pipsyp about residuals) however, if the Salespersons are still willing to give that higher GFV and you really want a diesel go for it although, for me the break even point was about 22k miles p.a. and the smoother less agricultural engine tone won the day.

So I'm not sure what low tax status you're referring to.

He was referring to what some folk call Road Tax. He meant Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), which is currently zero on the 1.6TDi due to its low emissions. It has been suggested diesel cars such as the 1.6TDi which currently benefits from a 'low tax status' will in the near future be no longer exempt.

Agree with that last point. Road tax for diesels will change soon, for the worse. We all knew it was coming but the government doesn't act very quickly if at all so don't expect it in the upcoming budget but maybe in the one after. Petrol engines probably won't get much cheaper but diesels, even euro 6 engines, will probably get quite a hike.

I got a 1.4 and very happy. Try buyanewcaronline.co.uk - best deal for me by quite a way.

Not heard of that on-line car site before, the prices look good, how did you find using them?

He was referring to what some folk call Road Tax. He meant Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), which is currently zero on the 1.6TDi due to its low emissions. It has been suggested diesel cars such as the 1.6TDi which currently benefits from a 'low tax status' will in the near future be no longer exempt.

Can't see the government stopping at VED (greddy Tommy Tuckers they are), gotta think they will go after the company car market too so, expect the Benefit In Kind (BIK) to take a large hike too.  With company cars changing relatively often its a bit of a no-brainer for showing big gains to the greens.

1.4 (140PS) here but in a Golf MK7 estate.....................get the engine it is a cracker....I was worried about lack of ooommmpphhh..but even with 4 people it shifts as the torque & BHP curves are flat after about 2500.........

Oh & if you can get the multi-link rear suspension

• Like 1

Evening all

My 1.2 Tsi SE does everything I need, only time my car struggles is when the car is full which is very rare to be honest. I do about 9k a year and generally get between 45mpg and 55mpg depending on what type of road I'm on. I'm thinking of going for the 1.4Tsi when it's time to change but for now I'm happy with my little 1.2 :clap:

Mark

I suggest the TSI, especially if you do a lot of short town driving where the engine and exhaust do not get hot. The 1.4 is a great engine, much better than my previous 1.6TDI in the smaller Fabia.

Another vote for the 1.4 TSi DSG. Gives me around 80% of my previous Saab 9-5's performance (220 BHP), but with mid 40s mpg instead of mid 20s. Goes very well with four up and full luggage too, the 1.2 might struggle a bit there.

Not heard of that on-line car site before, the prices look good, how did you find using them?

Great. A big discount over the local dealer who said they couldn't match it (or anywhere close).

Found them through HonestJohns (the Daily Telegraph motoring journo) website. Good comms, delivered when they said they would (on a transporter lorry), just like buying from any Skoda dealer (the car is actually direct from a big skoda dealer in the north of England - dealership is on the numberplates but they ask not to mention it..). First registered user on the docs (i.e. it is not pre-registered or ex-demo etc).

I'd certainly use them again...which is why I suggested them!

• Like 1