Mk7 Golf GTD or Mk8 Passat GT 150 TDI saloon - what would you choose?

I'd boil it down to the Passat has more rear legroom & more boot space, ...or order a GTD Estate?.....................seriously have a look at the boot in the Hatch as it is smaller than the figures leave you to believe & many people have commented on this.............

Absolutely valid points but I will still have the Mk3 Octavia estate (didnt want to keep it but cant justify moving it on) as a 2nd car so arguably that the Golf is alot smaller isnt of major concern.

GTD estate not an option....I can choose from a selection of cars (various models of VW, BMW, Mini, Ford, Vauxhall and Lexus) and nothing more unfortunately.

If a feasible option, GTE is a must-go. I saw a video reporting 0-100 in 6.3 and - on the other side, the city driving or cruising one - outrageously low average fuel comsumptions.

IMHO; at least.

Not an option unfortunately...

I think what it boils down to is that the Golf, in a similar way to the GTI although now quite common do have a bit of a special look and feel to them....the detailing is fabulous and if anything I think the GTD on Nogaros in the right colour is better to look at than a GTI.

The passat as good as it is just doesnt have that special vibe....its also probably more of a tank to drive and slower than the Elegance Octavia. Thinking with my head Ill acknowlege in many respects it no doubt the better and more sensible choice for long motorway journeys and family life but I suspect it'll end up v much just another turn and go car...something Ill drive because its 4 wheels and a steering wheel and not alot more.

As I sure the novelty of having a GTD will fade in time, I doubt muchly the Passat will offer the same sort of excitement both in waiting for it and actually having it for the first good few months or so.

Something that did disappoint with the 150 passat is that its CO2 emissions are little or no different to the 184 Golf and not overly impressive given my 150 Octavia also outputs 110g CO2 and is approaching 18 months old. I dont know really why they didnt just fit SCR to the 150 too and try and get it sub 100g.

Something that did disappoint with the 150 passat is that its CO2 emissions are little or no different to the 184 Golf and not overly impressive given my 150 Octavia also outputs 110g CO2 and is approaching 18 months old. I dont know really why they didnt just fit SCR to the 150 too and try and get it sub 100g.

That'll be the Passat BlueMotion Pipsyp release date = when sales of the 150 start dropping off 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Golf GTD over Passat any day, unless boot space is a problem, its not that big in the Golf.  If its going to be a family car, no choice, sadly Passat it has to be.  I hope its a second car and you can have fun in the GTD!!

Wont bore you with the details but have decided to hand the Octavia over to my wife in the coming weeks (selling her ageing Vauxhall Astra) and order myself a company car.

I've more or less narrowed it down to a choice of two as outlined above. Both would be manuals, bog standard apart from metallic paint.

Both have their pros and cons....

Golf (Probably in Carbon or Limestone Grey)

Pros

Quicker

Sportier looking

Will undoubtedly be more fun to drive

Standard Bi-xenons

Cons

No nav

No heated seats

Not particularly practical compared to the passat (but the reality is that it probably doesnt need to be)

Older model than the Passat and in some respects less well equipped

Likely not as refined as the Passat

Passat (probably Pearl Black with Black/Moonrock Alcantara)

Pros

Nice looking, but not sporty

Standard nav

Standard Winter Pack

Possibly better seats (with heating and pneumatic lumbar)

V practical

V refined

Cons

Not fun

No Bi-xenons

Fair chunk slower than the GTD

Same sort of taxation as the Golf despite performance deficit

I am kind of torn as Ive rather fancied a GTD for a while....but the Passat looks a lovely car and whilst its not particularly quick or exciting, it'll look smart and probably have the better, more comfortable interior and better ride to while the miles away in.

My head is saying Passat, my heart I'll regret it and should get a GTD.

Be interested in your thoughts...am rather expecting an influx of support for the GTD :-)

Last 2 weeks while my vRS has been getting repaired, Skoda hired me a Golf GTD...

Wow pocket rocket..!! 

Great to drive, faster 0-60 than my vRS

This one had a Sat Nav, Electric folding mirrors and front parking sensors, which i am going to miss as my car doesn't have.

There one one thing I didn't like was the boot space, bit small couldn't  get 2 luggage bags in the boot, Had to put the rear seats down few times....

If you've suffered from a sore back and cover a fair mileage, check that the GTD's suspension isn't too firm. Doesn't matter how good it looks or how it handles if you've got a sore back.

2 week after trading in my vRS, my sore back has gone. No coincidence. 

Edited by 73henny

Went from a 170CR DSG VRS to the GTD, nice thing but can't get excited about it like some. Not a huge difference in performance for me though handling a lot tighter. As mentioned suspension is firm and not good for potholes. Alloys £700 + vat to replace one if damaged, (Shysters) and the boot is small. Tyres are cheap though. Carbon grey good colour choice. Rag it and you're lucky to get 40mpg, steady'ish closer to 50mpg.

Ready to get rid of it now possible golf r or another gtd in carbon. Mainly because of price. Saying that, I've a chance of a fully specced RS6 lookalike for the same money as an R. Bit of a lump but quite fancy it.

Thanks for your comments all.

Currently trying to sell the wifes Astra and have decided to get a GTD manual (wouldnt have minded a DSG but wouldnt want to pay for the privilege)....just cant decide now between Deep Black and Carbon Grey paint. As soon as the Astra goes i'll be ordering it and taking something temporary, either from our Pool fleet or a hire.

Passat is a nice car, particularly in GT spec but its not going to be as fun (or frankly as cool, I am only 34 after all) as the GTD. As we're keeping the Octavia (in an ideal world wouldnt have done but making best of a bad situation), we dont need a big car and in fairness to the Golf its pretty comodious for its size...also in terms of bang per buck it does offer quite a lot of cheap (and v nice) company vehicle.

In terms of other choices yes there are a few others but the ones I like would result in a £50/month tax deductable upgrade charge....thats £600/year id rather keep but for interest the cars on question are as follows:-

518d SE saloon manual (bloody lovely car....just shame its not an auto or better still the 520)

320d ED Business saloon auto (nice but doesnt push my buttons..if an M Sport then sure).

320d ED Business touring manual (as above...also I think id rather the 8 speed auto saloon anyway).

318d Sport saloon manual (nice but a bit non descript).

218d M Sport auto (v nice...just a shame its not a 220d...also that it would have to undertake some family duties would be taking the **** a bit).

Facelift 120d M sport 5 door manual (I think with business nav - v tempting and probably prefer one to a Golf but a bit small and not worth the spend over the GTD IMHO).

Passat 150 TDi R Line saloon manual (I dont think its worth £50/month over the GT)

Passat 150 TDi GT estate manual (likewise I wouldnt pay £50/month to have an estate over saloon)

Lexus CT200h F Sport with nav (......look nice but gather they drive like **** and are slow)

Lexus IS300h Exec edition (again semi-tempting but a bit bland as most normal Lexus cars are).

At my level I could also have the following at no extra cost (like the Passat and Golf) and were briefly considered but ruled out:-

116d M Sport 3 door (too small and not quick enough...though that said if I lived alone and wanted a nice looking cheap company car would have been a good option except on performance front).

116d ED Business 5 door with Professional nav upgrade (good car and nav would be nice but boring)

Golf GT 150 TDi DSG (nice car but will cost more than the Golf GTD manual due to poor emissions and high list price because of the DSG box...couldnt rationalise it)

Insignia 170 CDTi VX-line hatch (look quite nice but with the other available choices dont think so)

Insignia CDTi 140 Elite Nav estate (v well equipped but doesnt ring my bells at all)

Mondeo TDCI (150 I think) Titanium X Pack hatch (just dont like the new Mondeo sorry)

Edited by pipsyp
  • Like 1

Carbon Grey, it's a really nice colour. Black is nice but only for half an hour after you've washed/polished it, a real pain to keep looking good.

Interesting reading your choices above and why you dismissed the cars you mention and came to the decision you've made. We're all different and I would disagree with many of your comments above, but that's what makes life interesting.

• Like 1

Carbon Grey, it's a really nice colour. Black is nice but only for half an hour after you've washed/polished it, a real pain to keep looking good.

Interesting reading your choices above and why you dismissed the cars you mention and came to the decision you've made. We're all different and I would disagree with many of your comments above, but that's what makes life interesting.

I agree I probably will choose carbon grey but I still think they look great (and just about the best) in black but then you have to keep it clean....given its a company car thats not v likely :-)

Intrigued by your other response though CNC, what cars would you preference?

Some interesting motors in that list but I would have to say the Golf GTD would be mine if practicality wasn't a major decider.

pipsyp, you missed a "con" against both cars in your first post - they're both diesels... 

Superb review of the new Superb (sorry) on Parker's.

pipsyp, you missed a "con" against both cars in your first post - they're both diesels...

Superb review of the new Superb (sorry) on Parker's.

I like petrol cars as much as the next person but they tend to make for expensive company vehicles. The petrol cars I have a choice of are all hybrids or range extenders and dont really float my boat...short of the 120d M Sport which would set me back £50/month the GTD is IMHO the best compromise of bang per buck of the choices I have.

Yeah, I thought that'd be the problem, pipsyp. The two litre diesel BMW engine is superb though. I've driven it in a few 5 Series. Knocks spots off bigger engines, like the Merc 2.2. If the company budget stretches to it, I'd go for a 520d, in a dark metallic grey.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I thought that'd be the problem, pipsyp. The two litre diesel BMW engine is superb though. I've driven it in a few 5 Series. Knocks spots off bigger engines, like the Merc 2.2. If the company budget stretches to it, I'd go for a 520d, in a dark metallic grey.

Sadly I have to pick from a list, would be a 518d SE manual saloon; only choice id have would be colour (as long as its metallic) and leather colour. I wouldnt really mind a 518d auto but I reckon a manual might be a bit hard work.

I'm decided on a manual GTD now, its quite quick, quite cool and be fun to run I reckon all the better that other than (the relatively low) tax the company will be picking up all the running costs. VW have also just thrown Discover Nav, Winter pack and Keyless entry at the standard spec for MY16 GTI's and GTD's which really made my mind up.

Definitely though....a 320d M Sport or 520d SE/M Sport auto that would have been a harder call.

Well its nearly done. Wifes car sold and due to go tomorrow evening.

I think I've somewhat fallen on some good luck too if all goes to plan......my fleet dept is having a Black 64 plate GTD returned to them from a leaver, so i'll be in a hire car for a few days then likely some point next week i'll inherrit this until my factory order arrives.

I would have normally just taken such a car and kept it but given new builds now come with Nav, Winter Pack and Keyless entry and I have the option to order new, i figure enjoy the car I wanted now and then benefit from getting it in the colour and spec I wanted in a few months time.

I did have the choice of a few other motors, 218d SE's in various colours, an X1 20d Sdrive ED business, Lexus CT200h F sport with Nav and I think a high spec Prius and wondered for the sake of a short while whether I should take a punt on something else but I feel Im making the right call.

• Like 1

Heck, stay well away from the X1, Lexus and Prius, for too many reasons to list here.

And if the 218 is the coupe, well at least it's better looking that their active tourer (not difficult), but you'd always be looked at as the bloke who couldn't afford the 4-Series, but just wanted a BMW. The Golf comes across as a well-considered and intelligent choice.

Heck, stay well away from the X1, Lexus and Prius, for too many reasons to list here.

And if the 218 is the coupe, well at least it's better looking that their active tourer (not difficult), but you'd always be looked at as the bloke who couldn't afford the 4-Series, but just wanted a BMW. The Golf comes across as a well-considered and intelligent choice.

I agree Gecko, was only considered briefly on the basis of trying something Id never likely choose to run for a few weeks/months whilst waiting for the GTD. In the end I figured if I have the oportunity to get into a relatively quick 184hp warm hatch (and the car I wanted anyway) why choose something else.

Had the 2 series been a 218d M Sport that might have been tempting though, sure not quite as quick as the Golf but a nice little car. They look a bit carp in SE spec :-(