VRS Tdi problems

My Nov 2014 Mk7 GTD with 22k miles is hesitant following a period of trailing throttle but it doesnt seem to have any starting issues and it literally lasts a second or so beforw giving full beans.

I think its something the car does to meet EU6 emissions and my EU5 150 TDI Octavia doesnt do it at all.

Edited by pipsypreturns

• 4 months later...

Did anybody get any resolutions to the starting and hesitation problem.

Sorry to bring it up again but three dealers can't find the fault although all admit its a problem.

9 second crank this morning to start.

Poor starting exists from the beginning on all 3 Elegances at our company.

These are MY2014 vehicles with 2.0 TDI and DSG.

Ie. mine starts nicely only 3-4 times out of 10.

The rest of the starts take up to 6-7 seconds, average is 3-4 seconds. Sounds awful like the engine fails to start once/twice during cranking.

Long cranking usually followed by bigger shock when the engine finally manages to start. Awful...

This issue is not weather related and happens on cold/semi-warm engine. S/S engine start is OK, no issues.

I have never seen engine/fuel system related fault codes on my car with VCDS.

No boost sensor issues so far (average mileage is 100k kms).

Edited by aki78

Poor starting exists from the beginning on all 3 Elegances at our company.

These are MY2014 vehicles with 2.0 TDI and DSG.

Ie. mine starts nicely only 3-4 times out of 10.

The rest of the starts take up to 6-7 seconds, average is 3-4 seconds. Sounds awful like the engine fails to start once/twice during cranking.

Long cranking usually followed by bigger shock when the engine finally manages to start. Awful...

This issue is not weather related and happens on cold/semi-warm engine. S/S engine start is OK, no issues.

I have never seen engine/fuel system related fault codes on my car with VCDS.

No boost sensor issues so far (average mileage is 100k kms).

Sounds the same as mine.

I found a tsb at work earlier relating to the poor starting from cold and extended cranking time. It won't let me upload the picture but it basically says....

Affects all models with CUNA/CUPA engine codes

Engine control module(ECM) software fault.

Carry out electrical, mechanical and component tests to eliminate any other possible cause.

If not faults found: reprogramme ECM with upgraded software.

I found a tsb at work earlier relating to the poor starting from cold and extended cranking time. It won't let me upload the picture but it basically says....

Affects all models with CUNA/CUPA engine codes

Engine control module(ECM) software fault.

Carry out electrical, mechanical and component tests to eliminate any other possible cause.

If not faults found: reprogramme ECM with upgraded software.

Do you have the TSB numbers for both engines?

About twice a week the car gives a jolt like a misfire. Bit like when the boost pressure sensor failed. This usually happens as you re apply the throttle. 

I've only just spotted this post and in particular the bit I've quoted.  I've had this all along with mine (Jun 2014, MY15) but only fairly occasionally.  It always seems to happen when I've been decelerating on a trailing throttle, and then immediately press the accelerator.  The car sees to die briefly before getting going again.

It doesn't happen that often so I've not so far remembered to mention it to the dealer (and it was serviced earlier this week, which would have been a good opportunity).  I wondered whether it was as simple as the turbo losing boost on the overrun, or something like the fuel being completely cut-off and not coming back on stream as quickly as it should when I hit the accelerator.  So, I didn't really know whether it was a fault or just a quirk of this engine.

It's so occasionally that it doesn't really bother me too much, although it's mildly annoying when it happens.

I've only just spotted this post and in particular the bit I've quoted.  I've had this all along with mine (Jun 2014, MY15) but only fairly occasionally.  It always seems to happen when I've been decelerating on a trailing throttle, and then immediately press the accelerator.  The car sees to die briefly before getting going again.

It doesn't happen that often so I've not so far remembered to mention it to the dealer (and it was serviced earlier this week, which would have been a good opportunity).  I wondered whether it was as simple as the turbo losing boost on the overrun, or something like the fuel being completely cut-off and not coming back on stream as quickly as it should when I hit the accelerator.  So, I didn't really know whether it was a fault or just a quirk of this engine.

It's so occasionally that it doesn't really bother me too much, although it's mildly annoying when it happens.

The most annoying thing is they have acknowledged its a problem but can't or won't do anything about it. Its a classic case of computer says no syndrome !

I've just had my vrs deisel ecu updated to correct poor starting. It's a known issue. I called skoda assist out to look at a problem i had had with it losing power and stalling. There was no codes but the bloke went into a database on his diagnostics pc and found the only known 'engine' issue to fix starting problems. He updated the software on my engine ecu there and then in the work car park. Starting is fine now and I've not had any more power loss. Yet.....

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk

Shouldn't these updates be done automatically when the car is serviced by a Skoda dealer ? Or am I being naive ?

You would imagine so yes. Except mine is not main dealer serviced. For two reasons really. The dealers around here are a challenge and the nearest is 60 miles away.

Robshaw, yours is CUPA/CUNA?

Mine engine/transmission code is CKFC (according to the sticker in the boot) and poor starting exist.

I'm not sure mate. Will check when I'm next out in it.

It was serviced at the main dealer 2 weeks ago when I bought it. So I can categorically say they do not perform updates. I asked the service guy from skoda assist to update my gearbox if required and he said he couldn't because it wasn't on the job sheet and everything he does is logged.

Sent from my SM-N915FY using Tapatalk