VRS Tdi problems

Guys I need your help.

My April 2014 Tdi non DSG VRS has had some constant problems since delivery. None are drastic but Skoda seems unable to fix them.

Poor starting is the first. Sometimes the vehicle just cranks for 5 to 10 seconds before firing.

About twice a week the car gives a jolt like a misfire. Bit like when the boost pressure sensor failed. This usually happens as you re apply the throttle. 

The last one can only be described as a throttle flutter on light loads. When on the motorway at a constant speed the car feels like its holding back (fluttering)

The car has been into several dealers and Skoda UK have been involved. Both have done lots of investigation but no faults can be found.

Any body had the same problems and had any solutions ?

Rejecting the vehicle is not an option.

Many thanks

My Feb 14 car occasionally takes a while to crack and sometimes stutters before it catches. Its been in twice for investigation (well not specially but each time its been serviced) but no fault found.

Its never not started so am just living with it as it seems to be more of a characteristic of the car than a fault (doesnt bother me to be honest other than the fact its a bit wierd on a new car).

My car doesnt drive as you describe though, which throttle mode are you using as normal is way better than sport IMHO, better modulation and alot smoother delivery. Eco feels a bit like youve dropped an anchor out the window and has never returned any better fuel economy for me really so I never use it.

I do notice that there occasionally seems to be a little lag/resistance to provide go in higher gears after stepping off the throttle and reapplying it...probably less than a second but noticeable. Again I think its a characteristic of the car and perhapa emissions related?

Edited by pipsyp

Poor starting is the first. Sometimes the vehicle just cranks for 5 to 10 seconds before firing.

This seems to be the norm, many owners have mentioned it.  Mine does it too.

My, 64 vRS does the same, very occasionally but always around the 2000rpm in 6th.  Having said that I had a Mitsubishi as a hire car and it did it as well so its not just VAG cars. 

About once a month mine seems to crank for a long time before firing, it has neve been enough of an issue that I have bothered a dealer about it.

Sounds like a leaking injector.

Could be I will ask the dealer.

To diagnosis the starting problem should be quite easy for the dealer with their diagnostic tool.

There are 3 things which will stop a diesel engine starting:

- Synchronisation between CAM & CRK sensors 

- Fuel Rail Pressure

- Fuel Quanity injected

Ask them to monitor the rail pressure at starting. This should rise to the requested setpoint very quickly.

If that is fine, then it must be the injector or injected quantity.

The injection system is very complicated these days & will continuously adapt to maintain an accurate injection quantity.

I would ask them to reset the Injector learning parameters &/or fuel pump learning too.

The engine might run rough for the first few miles but will "relearn" fairly quickly.

For the engine "flutter" it seems many people have this on their TDI.

I would assume that this is just a bad calibration & the EGR valve or intake hrottle is flapping around when it shouldn't.

I haven't heard of a fix though but will be asked my dealer at the next service for the latest engine ECU calibration.

Edited by Gabbo

To diagnosis the starting problem should be quite easy for the dealer with their diagnostic tool.

There are 3 things which will stop a diesel engine starting:

- Synchronisation between CAM & CRK sensors 

- Fuel Rail Pressure

- Fuel Quanity injected

Ask them to monitor the rail pressure at starting. This should rise to the requested setpoint very quickly.

If that is fine, then it must be the injector or injected quantity.

The injection system is very complicated these days & will continuously adapt to maintain an accurate injection quantity.

I would ask them to reset the Injector learning parameters &/or fuel pump learning too.

The engine might run rough for the first few miles but will "relearn" fairly quickly.

For the engine "flutter" it seems many people have this on their TDI.

I would assume that this is just a bad calibration & the EGR valve or intake hrottle is flapping around when it shouldn't.

I haven't heard of a fix though but will be asked my dealer at the next service for the latest engine ECU calibration.

Will do Gabbo thanks

• 3 weeks later...

And so the saga continues. Picked the car up this morning from dealer following an extended stay for the following :-

Poor start - Not fixed

Bolero - Fixed

Alloys - Not fixed the lacquer is lifting.

Hesitation - Not fixed. They all do it so that makes it alright.

Any way I got half way home and the glow plug light started to flash and it went into limp mode .

Its about to be recovered again !

God almighty this car is testing my resolve.

Sounds like a leaking injector.

You're lucky, mine sounds like a tractor... :D

Mine does the hesitancy thing on light throttle around 1500 revs, Ive read on here its to do with emissions regs and the ecu....

You're lucky, mine sounds like a tractor... :D

Mine does the hesitancy thing on light throttle around 1500 revs, Ive read on here its to do with emissions regs and the ecu....

The light throttle hesitation is the EGR cycle apparently. Skoda tech said they all do it.

Its quite likely EGR or throttle valve closing/opening when it shouldn't but this is definately nothing to do with emissions regulations (apart from thats what the EGR valve is for).

Its just badly calibrated & it shouldn't do it.

Whether anyone is working an a solution for it is another question as Skoda/VW probably already stopped work on this engine/vehicle combination to concentrate on newer & future models.

Its quite likely EGR or throttle valve closing/opening when it shouldn't but this is definately nothing to do with emissions regulations (apart from thats what the EGR valve is for).

Its just badly calibrated & it shouldn't do it.

Whether anyone is working an a solution for it is another question as Skoda/VW probably already stopped work on this engine/vehicle combination to concentrate on newer & future models.

Well they certainly don't want to fix mine !

I have had all the latest software updates and bloody thing is worse.

Third one this year. But the dealer has had no other vehicles in with the same problem.

From reading this thread I would say that you should be considering turning round to the dealer and saying - this car is not fit for purpose and obviously faulty, as they can't fix it, they should replace it. After all if it was a TV that kept losing channels, you'd want a replacement. I'm pretty sure as aconsumer you have a right to demand skoda give you the car you paid for (ie. one that works).

• Like 1

From reading this thread I would say that you should be considering turning round to the dealer and saying - this car is not fit for purpose and obviously faulty, as they can't fix it, they should replace it. After all if it was a TV that kept losing channels, you'd want a replacement. I'm pretty sure as aconsumer you have a right to demand skoda give you the car you paid for (ie. one that works).

+1

Boost pressure sensor failure again !

That's no 3.

You would think that it wasn't that component at fault now and it was something else causing it to fail. 

• 1 month later...

Mine was doing the same, hesitant on acceleration at slow speeds. Went in twice, couldn't find anything. Took it to different dealer for service, no fault code so mechanic took it out for a extended test. Low and behold he " made it do it " and fault code printed off to keep skoda happy.Boost pressure sensor changed. (Service manager had ordered one in because he had done another with same fault recently). So far drives a lot smoother and hasn't done it since.

Just a thought I have this problem with people in work we have a diesel fleet.

The common problem with them come my from petrol cars to diesel is petrol use spark plus to ignite the fuel. Diesel use glow plugs to heat the fuel.

You need to turn the ignition on and wait for all the lights to go out after a few seconds and give the glow plugs time to heat up. The car should then start first time with no problems.

If your starting it like a petrol straight away you're throwing diesel in their that isn't getting heated.