Leather steering wheel restore

Nikonite

My steering wheel is quite dull around the rim but shiny in the little used parts. Does anyone know if its possible to restore the dull parts?

Are you saying you want a shiny steering wheel?

Is it real leather?  If so then it needs to be fed/nourished like any leather product, to stop it drying out.  Try hide food, or saddle soap.  These will clean and nourish, but damage can't be repaired.

Forgot to say, careful applying stuff to the steering wheel, some treatments may leave it slippy for a short while which isn't good.

For colour restoration I'd look a product like a shoe leather dye. http://www.timpson.co.uk/shop/c/20/shoe-care/s/117/shoe-dye/g/154/leather-shoe-dye/p/964/dylon-leather-shoe-dye-black

Buy try it cautiously on a small, inconspicuous spot.

On my phone at the moment but there is a good thread on a BMW forum where the owner used a magic eraser/sponge , have a Google

Picture as promised, it's in sunlight which shows the problem but exaggerates it somewhat. Will have a look at solutions offered. Hopefully you can see the shine I spoke of, I did look at dye products but couldn't see any mention of the finish. Thanks

post-128022-0-55215200-1432107696_thumb.jpg

Picture as promised, it's in sunlight which shows the problem but exaggerates it somewhat. Will have a look at solutions offered. Hopefully you can see the shine I spoke of, I did look at dye products but couldn't see any mention of the finish. Thanks

Wow - that "looks" quite severe! :peek:

Is the dull area - dirt and grime on the surface... or more that the material surface is actually worn and disintegrating?

Think that may be beyond hope but I have used this method before

The magic erasers are quite abrasive so be gentle , afterward allow the wheel to dry fully and then give it a generous coat of a leather conditioner well rubbed in

Gliptone conditioner is very good http://www.liquidleather.com/car-shop.html failing that the Autoglym stuff is readily available

I suspect however you would be better doing something like this

I think that damage is the top layer of leather has been worn away. (probably a treatment on a cheap leather rather than the top of full grain leather). That will be tough to repair.  Let us know what you try and how you get on.

On my phone at the moment but there is a good thread on a BMW forum where the owner used a magic eraser/sponge , have a Google

I've also seen one used on here to good effect, so I've bought one ready for when I'm ready.

It is definitely the top layer worn away, it's a genuine skoda wheel so not sure what the leather is. I think Richf is right the second kit looks the best option if it doesn't work it's a good excuse to upgrade me thinks . Thanks guys

• Like 1

Wow, I'm guessing it's quite old? I would you autoglym leather care products on it. But don't expect miracles as that looks a real mess.

That looks entirely goosed my friend.

The wheel has gone full circle from matte leather from factory to a big build up of oils from your hands sending it shiny and then has worn back to matte. This looks like material that has abraded away over time. Just how old is the car/wheel?

That need a retrim or a new wheel.

Or leave it as it is, cleaning products will soak into that porous surface and cause more issues I think.

• Like 2

The outcome of this is one I am happy with. I bought the wheel restore kit and after lots of prep, degreasing, light sanding, 5 coats of dye and 4 coats of sealer I am very happy. The kit came with both matt and gloss sealer and as I had two wheels I did one of each. I think I am decided on the matt but that may change. Very pleased though.

post-128022-0-44288900-1432830554_thumb.jpg

post-128022-0-72119800-1432830575_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The outcome of this is one I am happy with. I bought the wheel restore kit and after lots of prep, degreasing, light sanding, 5 coats of dye and 4 coats of sealer I am very happy. The kit came with both matt and gloss sealer and as I had two wheels I did one of each. I think I am decided on the matt but that may change. Very pleased though.

Nice job mate - and a great result.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup: