Engine overheating 150ps 4x4

Was on my way to a friend's wedding this morning and the car told me to pull over as the engine was overheating.

Checked oil and coolant both appeared fine so left it 5 mins and set off again. Within a mile it shot from 80 degrees to 107 and warning appeared again and pulled over in a pub.

Currently waiting for Skoda breakdown (RAC?) to arrive...

Going to miss my friend's wedding now, hopefully will make the reception though! Car has only done 14500 miles and is a year old.

Could be just a faulty thermostat, in the old days I would just take it out for the summer months.

Man from AA came, checked oil and coolant topped up coolant with a tiny drop and ran the engine for a while with diagnostics connected.

Coolant went up to 110 degrees and oil 114 so he spoke to VW tech and they said tow it to Skoda garage, might just need a software update??

Sat waiting for them to bring a flat bed tow truck as it's 4x4 and arrange for a replacement vehicle to be brought to me.

Least we're in a pub, time for some grub! This was definitely not part of today's plan, just hoping we don't miss the reception as that will annoy me!

In the end the car was towed away and eventually they paid for a taxi to take us 40ish miles to East Midlands airport to get a replacement car.

Now have a 1.6 diesel SE Octavia, not as nice as my highly specced elegance but it will have to do I guess.

Got to my friend's reception just in time for the speeches at 6pm, not great considering we broke down at 11:30 and should have originally been in Nottingham for 12:30.

Guess my car won't be looked at until Tuesday as it's a bank holiday, hope it's nothing too serious!

Hmmm. not great servie from Skoda Assistance then however, Saturday lunch time of a B/H weekend there ain't gonna be a lot of options still, its a great oppertunity to give a full and frank analysis of the difference between the two models performance, economy, interior ect.

I hope you get your car back soon.

Well I have the hire car until Tuesday, but I can't imagine they will manage to have fixed it by then if they need any parts. Hopefully it's something simple such as the water pump.

The 1.6 diesel isn't too bad really, it doesn't have the power of the 2.0 TDI but it's still kind of perky. Did about 45 mile drive home this morning and the car said it had averaged 75MPG on a journey I'd normally get 55MPG in my 150ps 4x4... pretty good economy really! :)

One downside is SO many things I'm missing on this SE spec that my car has such as no arm rest, no cruise control, no parking sensors. Also not sure whether this rental car has been ragged or not but the 5 speed gearbox on this car feels nowhere near as nice as the 6 speed on mine.

One downside is SO many things I'm missing on this SE spec that my car has such as no arm rest, no cruise control, no parking sensors.

The arm rest was added as standard on the SE in May last year, I think it's always had rear parking sensors and cruise has been included since March this year, although it's not yet clear if that is a permanent addition. Personally I don't like the arm rest, I think it gets in the way and I'd prefer not to have it.

In the end the car was towed away and eventually they paid for a taxi to take us 40ish miles to East Midlands airport to get a replacement car.

Now have a 1.6 diesel SE Octavia, not as nice as my highly specced elegance but it will have to do I guess.

Got to my friend's reception just in time for the speeches at 6pm, not great considering we broke down at 11:30 and should have originally been in Nottingham for 12:30.

Guess my car won't be looked at until Tuesday as it's a bank holiday, hope it's nothing too serious!

Worksop to Nottingham = 5 and a half hours!

You can walk it quicker than that!

Worksop to Nottingham = 5 and a half hours!

You can walk it quicker than that!

Long walk though, especially with the missus all dressed up and wearing heels!  :)

I thought I had read that haldex 4x4 could be towed on its rear wheels. I could easily be wrong though.

No idea, just went with what the AA guy said...

Edited by Shermo

I thought I had read that haldex 4x4 could be towed on its rear wheels. I could easily be wrong though.

It can, but it doesn't need to be according to the guidance below contained in the Owner's Manual.

Towing a vehicle with four-wheel drive

The vehicle can be towed in using a tow bar or a tow rope or with the front axle raised.

The maximum towing speed is 50 km/h, the maximum permissible towing distance is 50 km.

A new water pump has been ordered and should hopefully be fitted tomorrow :) Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be a common thing for others, as it's not good breaking down with a newish car!

Was on my way to a friend's wedding this morning and the car told me to pull over as the engine was overheating.

Checked oil and coolant both appeared fine so left it 5 mins and set off again. Within a mile it shot from 80 degrees to 107 and warning appeared again and pulled over in a pub.

Currently waiting for Skoda breakdown (RAC?) to arrive...

Going to miss my friend's wedding now, hopefully will make the reception though! Car has only done 14500 miles and is a year old.

You too....

my car over heated 10 days ago, had to call out roadside Assistance  for help.. temp went into the red 130c

Had to be towed to the garage at 9.30pm on a Saturday..

Its still in Skoda garage waiting for a Thermostat.. Might get it back before the end of the month..!!!!

Skoda delivered me a VW Golf GTD to use while mine is being repaired 

Edited by baz555

Well I have the hire car until Tuesday, but I can't imagine they will manage to have fixed it by then if they need any parts. Hopefully it's something simple such as the water pump.

The 1.6 diesel isn't too bad really, it doesn't have the power of the 2.0 TDI but it's still kind of perky. Did about 45 mile drive home this morning and the car said it had averaged 75MPG on a journey I'd normally get 55MPG in my 150ps 4x4... pretty good economy really! :)

One downside is SO many things I'm missing on this SE spec that my car has such as no arm rest, no cruise control, no parking sensors. Also not sure whether this rental car has been ragged or not but the 5 speed gearbox on this car feels nowhere near as nice as the 6 speed on mine.

Its probably an S spec in fairness. Does it have black door handles and mirrors instead of body colour. Also does it has manual AC instead of two zone climate?

Its probably an S spec in fairness. Does it have black door handles and mirrors instead of body colour. Also does it has manual AC instead of two zone climate?

Yes, black handles and wing mirrors and manual climate control. Aside from the mushy gearbox (possibly not the cars fault but being thrashed as a rental?) the car is OK actually, the 1.6 diesel isn't all that sporty but it's pretty capable and it's returning excellent MPG, at least according to the cars system.

I know there was a problem recently with waterpumps...

My VW van went in for cambelt and the waterpumps were on back order. I questioned a friend who worked in VAG procurement and was told they'd had a faulty batch....

I wonder if there is an inherent fault with the design and faulty ones pop up periodically? I guess in overall numbers the failures are going to be tiny.... But still blooming annoying when it's yours

Edited by johnthesparky

It can, but it doesn't need to be according to the guidance below contained in the Owner's Manual.

Towing a vehicle with four-wheel drive

The vehicle can be towed in using a tow bar or a tow rope or with the front axle raised.

The maximum towing speed is 50 km/h, the maximum permissible towing distance is 50 km.

If it gives those limits, then no it shouldn't be towed with wheels up at all. It just means the damage is considered acceptable.

Got my car back today, got a little report saying what they had done:

Carried out repair as per TPI 2039483/4.

Removed o/s/f wheel, under tray, o/s/f inner wheel arch liner, sump sound deadening, auxillary belt, bottom pulley, bottom timing cover, top timing cover, engine support, timing belt, water pump.

Found water pump defective as TPI states. Replaced water pump and fixing bolts.

Refitted timing belt with new tensioner nut. Refitted all parts in reverse order as removal, replacing engine support bolts and bottom pulley bolts. Replaced coolant and ran bleed procedure using ODIS. Carried out road test and checked for errors and leaks, non found.

Not sure what a TPI is, is that because it's a known fault? Or just the procedures for detecting a pump issue?

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted. Obviously a dodgy batch of them.

TPI means Technical Product Information.

It is as you say that they are aware of a problem and are fixing it... but not a full recall as such.

Phil