Octavia vrs road noise. Help!

Hi , I ve just bought a 2009 vrs estate dsg petrol. Lovely car , immaculate , and can't believe how quick it is , and that's coming from a volvo s60 t5 ! The problem is the road noise on the motorway . I know that there are various threads on this , but couldn't see an up to date one, to see if anyone has come up with a workable DIY fix . I'm not much of a DIY er, but was thinking about getting some thick foam for the boot and under the back seats . Not sure how easy it would be to do the wheel arches. It is also on federal Evo tyres , which look pretty soft and might not be helping . The prime job of the car is going to be ferrying y newborn about . It would break my heart but half thinking of admitting my mistake , selling it immediately , and getting a superb or a v50. Apart from the noise it seems a brilliant car as well. Any new thoughts appreciated . Thanks

My VRS is at its quietest on 16 inch winter wheels (Continental Wintercontacts).

I kind of dread going back to the 18" wheels in the summer because the noise is so much more - although Goodyear tyres made it a whole lot better than the stock Continentals. 4 wheel alignment as Anddenton mentions also made a big difference to noise and vibration

So you could try some smaller wheels (might be cheaper than selling?) but I have to say its one of the main drawbacks of the Octavia and one of the main failings for its excellent value for money - there are numerous threads on here about the issue.

• Like 1

I have the same issue with mine, but ive take the advise of others and had a 4 wheel alignment.

It cost me £65 and it's made a difference.

Firstly I could feel that some rolling resistance had gone from the car and the noise has also dropped.

I'll be adding some aoumd proofing to the rear of the car just to take it down a few db's.

I can't really help as mine hasn't/isn't having this as mines pretty quite on motorways and low speeds however I can agree that some new rubber and a correct wheel alinement will help massively

Check the tyres for sawtoothing at the back.

If needed get a 4 wheel alignment then replace them.

I put on Goodyear Efficient grip to help with the road noise, really made a difference.

I notice a few brands are going on the low Db bandwagon now. I really rate the GY and I put them on the Honda when I got that.

I also put on the bitumen flashing soundproofing under the boot liner and under the rear seats. It didn't do much tbh.

It was one of the weakest points abut the car. It was really dreadfully noisy on the wrong tyres.

Advice...if you want quiet buy something else.

My Octavia is bloody loud and always has been. I've tried all the above, Tyres (different brands) Hunter Alignment etc etc. But it was still much noiser than the Mrs old Astra H (MY07). Now compared to her new Merc ML with Air Suspension I actually dread diving the Octy after driving that for a bit. At Motorway speeds the Merc is near silent, the Octy.....LOUD.

+1 on VRS777

When I moved on from the Octy I specifically looked for a car that was quiet because I was getting pretty sick of the racket from the VRS.

I am on my third vRS
2 hatches and this one a Combi.

This is one of the main reasons I bailed out of buying another one, so jumped ship and ordered a new Passat.

Soooo much quieter.

Does anyone know if the Octavia III is any better in this regard?

I heard it is not much of an improvement.

Why is the Octavia so bad? Is it that VWs have more sound deadening fitted in general in the wheel arches etc?

Bean counters saw they could save a few € by cutting back on sound deadening Vs VW and Audi.

You pays your money....

Acceptable compromise when the Octy was a bargain back in Mk2 day. Less forgiveable on the Mk3 (if that's true) which is hardly budget motoring.

thanks for all your replies.  after 2 weeks with it I think I'm now getting a bit more used to it. Not the best that a 15 year old Volvo is whisper quiet in comparison!!  going to get some Dodo deadening stuff. its a layer that combines closed cell foam and mass loaded vinyl.  £24 a sheet and might take 2 sheets .  Might help a bit .   I have moved on it shouting at the DSG gearbox when trying to reverse slowly!!  When on the move on the twisty bits its a lovely car!

changed my tyres and it transformed the car , really quiet now , saw toothing of tyre tread was the problem

for what's is worth - no road noise or nothing I've noticed . 4 very budget  tyres £40 per corner but I do have a sheet off the non slip rubber mating laid in the boot , but its in the to stop items sliding about not road noise -so this may help

Sound deadening will do nothing. You need products designed to reduce road noise and you need to ensure enough coverage aswell.

Also, the passats and audi's have more door rubbers than the octavia which helps.

A higher profile tyre, rather than the 40 you get as standard helps.

My dads 08 passat highline is loads quieter than my octavia and i have deadened the doors, roof etc

changed my tyres and it transformed the car , really quiet now , saw toothing of tyre tread was the problem

Did you get 4 wheel alignment?

If not you could find the noise back again in 2k miles and needing new tyres again.

Edited by Aspman

Did you get 4 wheel alignment?

If not you could find the noise back again in 2k miles and needing new tyres again.

yes previous owner had the latest settings dialled in

• Like 1

Just replaced my rear continentals for Goodyear Efficient grip to match the front rubber.

I would say that there is a noticeable reduction in noise, the DB rating on the new rubber is 69db, about the lowest I could find tbh.

So new rubber combined with 4 wheel alignment has made a big difference for me. Shame really as I've got to listen to the wife now :thumbdown:

Hi just bought an octavia vrs 61 reg. Only had it a couple of days and the noise is really starting to get to me!

It's bearable with two passengers but now with 4 in the noise is absolutely shocking!

Even with abit of shopping in the back makes it worse.

The front two tyres are Dunlop sport maxx rt

And the rears are Dunlop sp sport maxx gt

I'm not really a car person guys so any help would be hugely grateful!!

Thanks