Sat nav not cutting it

Had a 2005 elegance and made a lot of use of the inbuilt sat nav instead of using my phones one because it's battery would almost always be dead when I needed it.  The Superb 1 nav was not the most user friendly but you could put the first 4 digits of the post code and then the street and house number.  Job done.

Now I have a 2011 superb elegance and tried to enter my home address.  Again only takes first 4 digits before asking for street address which I duly enter but then .......  No option to put a house number... WTF?   I can put an intersection but thing is I don't live at an intersection,  I live in a house.  Any destination I put in,  same story,  no option to put house number,  just intersection.  If I knew an area well enough to know which initersection I need to go to then I wouldn't need the sat nav.  It's the last mile of a journey that usually nobbles you if you don't know where you're going.  Don't see anythng in the manual to change this.  Any ideas?

I agree, firmware update to get the full post code search :) 

I have a MY2015 Superb with the Columbus and found it, on the whole very good... I have used it a few times and always found it accurate, only thing that can get annoying is the "your route has been changed due to traffic issues" or words to that effect which seems to work for no reason Lol 

7 digit postcodes firmware came out in mid 2010, so your car should already have it.

The firmware can be downloaded (google it) but personally I would be asking your dealer why your car does not already do it. 

I just bought the car last month from a dealer.  I guess I could ask him to get the latest s/w on it.  If I were to do it myself how would I go about it? 

How can you tell the version of the firmware you are currently running with?

Edited by jimmyf

Had a 2005 elegance and made a lot of use of the inbuilt sat nav instead of using my phones one because it's battery would almost always be dead when I needed it.  The Superb 1 nav was not the most user friendly but you could put the first 4 digits of the post code and then the street and house number.  Job done.

Now I have a 2011 superb elegance and tried to enter my home address.  Again only takes first 4 digits before asking for street address which I duly enter but then .......  No option to put a house number...

When were post codes introduced in Ireland?

When were post codes introduced in Ireland?

Not yet ! (in Southern Irl ) There's talk of "them" introducing a completely stupid system which makes no sense - either later this year or next year. Each address has a random code - so, not sequential within an area. Bizarre. Must be brown envelopes involved again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not yet ! (in Southern Irl ) There's talk of "them" introducing a completely stupid system which makes no sense - either later this year or next year. Each address has a random code - so, not sequential within an area. Bizarre. Must be brown envelopes involved again!

Ahhh, random, huh? Well, that sounds like Dublin all over. Oh how they all morn those heady days of running the country with all those massive EEC grants..!

At this point it would be easier to just use the GPS coordinates of the address instead of some arbitrary new post code, with the added benefit that it's already compatible with existing navigation systems and anyone who can use online maps or a phone GPS can get a perfectly serviceable post code for their own address without the government having to waste time and money 'issuing' it to them. A total of 13 digits would be needed to get down to 10ish metres resolution, 6 for latitude and 7 for longitude, though 1 of these would always be zero thanks to Ireland's longitude being between -5 and -11 degrees.

The standard way of introducing things like this in Ireland seems to be to find a system that's been already proven to not work elsewhere and use that. Surprisingly Irish car number plates (Until they introduced the extra number in the year for 2013 because they were afraid of the number 13) are the only example I can think of where the system being used in Ireland makes intuitive sense.

• Like 1

Ahhh, random, huh? Well, that sounds like Dublin all over. Oh how they all morn those heady days of running the country with all those massive EEC grants..!

Yep - hear ya, man ... however the "inner circle" have pocketed the EU grants by now -- so, they've re-focussed on further raiding our tax-pockets and  coming up with crazy projects under the guise of "helping the little people", to divert attention away from them further lining their pockets and bringing new leeches into their inner circle. 

Don't get me started  :D  --- oh, OK .. I already have !!!    Bah, Humbug !

When is me Fabia going to arrive Skoda? And give me a few hours distraction, doing Needle Staging and fitting Mud Flaps.  :coffee:

• Like 1

The only times the sat nav really works well for me is on trips to the UK. Stick in the postcode and off you go, no hassle and nearly always spot on too. You could end up in a different county in Ireland.....!

• Like 1

Anywhere I'm going to that I'm not sure of I tend to just put in the GPS coordinates off google maps anyway. I need to pull the unit out and check all the connections now though - it lost the satellites last week and now it's gone full Regensburg :(...

@numskull.   Living in N. Ireland .  Bailed out from the south 11 yrs ago.  Getting great entertainment now listening to the almost daily ranting about some new tax that's coming in to help pay for the excesses of the now castrated Celtic Tiger.

They have spent millions devising a post code system.  Can't quiet figure out why no one has suggested looking northwards and extend the UK post code system.  Using something mad like IE instead of BT as the first part of an extended post code system would take years to come up with.  I suppose when you have a budget of 50Mil to spend then no point in having the job done by breakfast time on the first day.

Anyways its a pain in the ar$e having to update my 2011 system to be as good as my old 2005 one !!

PS  Don't even get me started on the social welfare handouts down south

Edited by jimmyf
  • Like 1

They have spent millions devising a post code system.  Can't quiet figure out why no one has suggested looking northwards and extend the UK post code system.  Using something mad like IE instead of BT as the first part of an extended post code system would take years to come up with.

I was told that the "BT" stood for British territory, if so might have something to do with it....

I don't think 'DU' has been used by any city in the UK yet, so giving the whole of the South a DU postcode for Dublin isn't totally crackers and it would mirror the North. The UK system isn't perfect but it does generally work okay and Countries all over the world have copied it. This suggested Eire random postcode thing sounds almost as bad as the random house number thing that they have in parts of Japan where chaos genuinely does occur.