Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

HI Kev good effort pushing Skoda on this!

Did Skoda identify what the additional hardware was?  Im not sure about the Fabia but in the Yeti the New Bolero MIB2 is just a head unit. 

Again i find it hard to believe that extra hardware is needed. Any car that has bluetooth will have mics etc...

If they just said    "a new bolero and xyz will cost £600 plus installation" then i would believe them but the fact they are not i find strange.

+1

This all sounds rather cagey, a haphazard approach to trying to resolve an issue.

I wonder, if those of us with these issues could group together and present our problems to Skoda together, would they take us a little more seriously and actually dedicate some time / manpower to resolving the issue?

+1

This all sounds rather cagey, a haphazard approach to trying to resolve an issue.

I wonder, if those of us with these issues could group together and present our problems to Skoda together, would they take us a little more seriously and actually dedicate some time / manpower to resolving the issue?

That actually has been suggested, and would be the way forward if Skoda were to be taken to court over this.

That of course depends on how many of us are prepared to seriously take that route.

Just out of interest, who would honestly be up for that?

• Like 1

I'm not sure court would be the answer would it?

But, for example, if we could (as others already have), go to Autoexpress, BBC Watchdog, Skoda themselves, with a list of 100s or even 1000s of unhappy Skoda customers, this could do some serious damage to their credibility......

• Like 1

Kev I Wouldn't be up for the court side of it but even though I have a working phone at the minute I'm still angry about Skoda's handling of all this so would back any group action .

• Like 1

Join a collective group to bring strength to chase Skoda sounds good to me.

I took the liberty of phoning VW today under the guise of purchasing a Polo and enquired about the problems that I have read about the mirror link system, came as a bit of a shock to find that VW are no longer fitting the system . Also was promised a call from the designated customer help person to discuss her recommendations of adding the premium sygic app to my phone at 79.99 euros a pop as she is adamant that it works on the Samsung galaxy mini 4s, Wrong another thing for me to gripe about.  

So who was told what when they ordered their mk3 Fabia's?

I for one was told that at week 22 updates would be available for Bolero, thus making Apple Carplay available.

Can everyone please just bullet point what they were actually told by their supplying dealers at point of ordering.

It will give us all an idea of how big the problem is, and who may be interested in making more of a fuss.

(Mick50 can you add yours as well, even though I kinda know your situation. Thanks)

When I ordered my car I was more interested in the car really , mirror link was a bonus . After the test drive I asked about iPhone and mirror link i was told by July there would be updates to make it compatible. This was by two dealers I visited and one I met at Skodafest he had an iPhone and was hoping updates himself .When I tried to put back my build week was told by the dealer that Skoda had said it was to late to alter the order .

Just an update my last email I told Skoda how many Skoda's I have had,i gave them the reg numbers to prove it ,and told them this was last unless they sorted it out . I've had the Sat Nav offer and been told the about the kenwood option being available by September . I said I had purchased a phone to work with it i itemised my costs in the email have asked for suitable compensation I have had no offer yet .

• Like 1

I bought my Skoda on the basis, in my mind, that the infotainment system was updatable so as I thought futureproofing the car. I was told that I needed an Android phone but not that it would set me back about £500 including the mapping system. I may have been told the phone had to come from a specific list but when you are picking up your new car it probably goes in one ear and out the other. Skoda do say in the handbook that if they make production changes you can't take them to court but this would not stop us going to the media and I would certainly support that. Joe

Car bought: 2015 (pre wk 22) Yeti Outdoor Elegance 2.0 170

Supplying Dealer: Carrs Exeter

Info told by dealer: Nothing specific to Mirrorlink (they didn't seem very hot on infotainment system and still don't), but was given the brochure and was told that this was the spec of my chosen car. Brochure stated Mirrorlink & Apple carplay functionality.

Car bought: 2015 (pre wk 22) Yeti Outdoor Elegance 2.0 170

Supplying Dealer: Carrs Exeter

Info told by dealer: Nothing specific to Mirrorlink (they didn't seem very hot on infotainment system and still don't), but was given the brochure and was told that this was the spec of my chosen car. Brochure stated Mirrorlink & Apple carplay functionality.

The March 2015 brochure doesn't seem to list MirrorLink/SmartLink? Unless I'm missing something? 

The May 2015 brochure lists SmartLink as a cost option at £150

The March 2015 brochure doesn't seem to list MirrorLink/SmartLink? Unless I'm missing something? 

The May 2015 brochure lists SmartLink as a cost option at £150

I have the brochure at home, I'll dig it out and check.

Skoda customer services have told me that the Samsung galaxy s5 with android 5.0 is compatible with bolero mirrorlink. Time will tell, the car is going into Skoda dealership for a day on 22 July. I will post the outcome of this visit in due course.  Must say  that I am not very confident of a satisfactory outcome.

Hey Folks,

I don't understand this, my car was built Week 27 and only registered on 30th June however has no smartlink on my system, just Mirorlinks which of course does not recognise my iPhone 5S?

Any ideas?  My dealers just advised me to download an update from he mirrorlinks website but of course there is nothing there and I got the latest radio upgrade which has done nothing to help.

Am I missing something?

Hey Folks,

I don't understand this, my car was built Week 27 and only registered on 30th June however has no smartlink on my system, just Mirorlinks which of course does not recognise my iPhone 5S?

Any ideas?  My dealers just advised me to download an update from he mirrorlinks website but of course there is nothing there and I got the latest radio upgrade which has done nothing to help.

Am I missing something?

It's not an S is it? Smart link is only on the SE and SEL

No its an SE?

I have a feeling that unless you paid for the SmartLink option (a £150 extra as shown on the most recent brochure) then you may not have it by default. Hell, this may well mean that even people who ordered a car prior to Week 22 and couldn't (in the configurator) select the SmartLink option are getting screwed aswell even if their cars were built post Week 22!

I have a feeling that unless you paid for the SmartLink option (a £150 extra as shown on the most recent brochure) then you may not have it by default. Hell, this may well mean that even people who ordered a car prior to Week 22 and couldn't (in the configurator) select the SmartLink option are getting screwed aswell even if their cars were built post Week 22!

Oh Bugger!

That's about right, I was not given the option as I took a car already in the UK.  Very frustrating as my Citigo had inbuilt Sat Nav through the PID.  Apart from this I love the car.

Oh Bugger!

That's about right, I was not given the option as I took a car already in the UK.  Very frustrating as my Citigo had inbuilt Sat Nav through the PID.  Apart from this I love the car.

If the car was already at the dealers in the UK is it likely that it was built week 27 which was last week?

Smartlink is listed as Standard in the brochure from SE specification upwards as part of the bolero radio.

I received this information on 2nd June about Smartlink (my car is pre week 22)  I should say I don't blame the person I dealt with as I think Skoda withheld a lot of information from them. My gripe is with Skoda the company as apposed to Skoda UK they were the ones negotiating with Apple and they new Mirrorlink would be dead in the water once they introduced Smartlink with  Android and Apple compatibility. The other thing is are dealers explaining to customers about Smartlink been an add on and what the benefits are. Joe

Here is the latest changes announced via the Skoda desktop portal which is a closed system for Skoda dealers use….

Model year 2016 product changes from week 22

SK0373-15

Model year 2016 (MY16) vehicle specification changes are being introduced on vehicles built from week 22 2015 (starting 25 May). Ordering opens during week 18 2015 (starting 27 April).

·         SmartLink is available for Fabia, Rapid, Rapid Spaceback, Octavia and Yeti. It is an enhancement to the MirrorLink system already on Fabia and introduces the option for owners of Apple smartphones to use Apple Carplay, which offers the same functionality as MirrorLink.  

SmartLink also contains Android Auto, further enhancing the number of compatible handsets. 

Prices are shown in the table below. Refer to MY16 brochures for availability.

Option

Code

Basic RRP

RRP inc VAT

SmartLink

9WT

£125.00

£150.00

In answer to your question I sympathise that the full functionality was not available at the production build time when you bought the car.  For a phone to work  it had to be off the list at that time which I informed you. I did ask on a training course and was told by the trainer that the finalising of contracts between Skoda and Apple as well as the ironing out technical details was the reason it was not released at that time.  

The technology in cars is getting more in line with computers day by day as soon as one function is available they are working on what comes next. As with most technical things I would have thought Skoda would have looked at adaptations that could be dealer fitted. At this point there is nothing available but the only people who can answer this any further is Skoda Customer Services on 0845 7745 745.

Update:

I have today issued an ultimatum to my dealer regarding the lack of progress with my complaint.

I have asked for the Kenwood MIB NAV to be fitted free of charge, and also for a Dash cam to be supplied and fitted free as well.

Neither of these things solve any Mirrorlink problems, but that is all I can think is worth adding to my well spec'd car.

If this is not agreed upon by the end of this coming week, then next week I will be formally rejecting the car.

I have already roughed out a letter, which will then be sent to Progress Skoda in Bedford, and VW Financial services.

This is just dragging on and on, and all that Skoda have offered me is a paltry and insulting £125 towards in car tech.

The car has essentially been mis-sold and the future capabilities of the car are not as described to me during the purchase.

You can also argue that the Mirrorlink system is not fit for my purposes also.

So we will see what happens now.

The dealer will not want me to reject the car, as it is going to cost them my deposit back in full, it probably won't affect Skoda that much, if at all.

I was expecting a call back today, but this has not materialised.

There will be no more chasing from me, my cards are on the table, and it is now up to them.

I may be cutting my nose off to spite my face, but enough's enough.

This will be ending one way or another!

• Like 2

Update:

I have today issued an ultimatum to my dealer regarding the lack of progress with my complaint.

I have asked for the Kenwood MIB NAV to be fitted free of charge, and also for a Dash cam to be supplied and fitted free as well.

Neither of these things solve any Mirrorlink problems, but that is all I can think is worth adding to my well spec'd car.

If this is not agreed upon by the end of this coming week, then next week I will be formally rejecting the car.

I have already roughed out a letter, which will then be sent to Progress Skoda in Bedford, and VW Financial services.

This is just dragging on and on, and all that Skoda have offered me is a paltry and insulting £125 towards in car tech.

The car has essentially been mis-sold and the future capabilities of the car are not as described to me during the purchase.

You can also argue that the Mirrorlink system is not fit for my purposes also.

So we will see what happens now.

The dealer will not want me to reject the car, as it is going to cost them my deposit back in full, it probably won't affect Skoda that much, if at all.

I was expecting a call back today, but this has not materialised.

There will be no more chasing from me, my cards are on the table, and it is now up to them.

I may be cutting my nose off to spite my face, but enough's enough.

This will be ending one way or another!

I think you've been more than reasonable. I hope they don't make any resolution too painful!