Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

I had z3 very briefly was not very stable at on full sygic kept locking up. Htc one m9 dreadful as well so I just went back to iPhone. Sorry to be negative but that's my experience of both phones and mirrorlink as well .I sent z3 back but m9 cost me a lot of money and I just sold it in the end. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I tried to say to Kate the last time I spoke to her as she had said because I didn't have a compatible phone then I couldn't have the Kenwood. My reply was why would I spend good money on a compatible phone that's not compatible !!!!

Sent from my Moto G

Is the Kenwood upgrade a complete new double din unit or an add on box? I note there is an adaptor box on eBay.com that they cannot ship to the UK? It links both iOS and android units to a double din head unit. Personally all I want is a integrated sat nav. The rest of the apps are really of no use or interest to me. The Kenwood upgrade seems to offer this. Does it retain all of the other integrated systems that show up on the Bolero in phone, radio parking sensors etc

update-

After my complaint to both Skoda and the dealer I have been offered obviously the Garmin navigator or £115 compensation. Have received about 3 calls all from Skoda, no calls from the dealership.

Today Skoda called to let me know that the sales rep that worked at Johnson's Skoda doesn't work there anymore and that at no time did Skoda ever say that Mirrolink is compatible with Iphones or that it will be.  Therefore they wouldn't offer the Kenwood add an box or at least not without any compensation from me.

I stated that this was repeatedly told to me by the dealership sale representative : That Mirrorlink will work with iphones in the immediate future ( months) after an update will be released.

I have been provided with false and worng information and therefore i shouldn't have to pay anything & also Mirrorlink is no longer receiveing any more updates ( as they stated when launched). So told them that it should be with the dealership or Skoda to pay for the Kenwood ..in no circumstance it would be me.

She will get back to me today or Wednesday ! :)

....don't hold your breathe, I'm still waiting for a return phone call from last Tuesday!

Sent from my Moto G

Well..so far they kept in contact every 2 days spot on.

Anywayt have decided to get a Sat Nav for about £130 and they'll refund me. I probably won't keep the car for too long anyway and it's not worth the stress :)

Best luck to all in sorting your issues !

Hello

I am a newbie so be kind......and hello to all. I have found this thread really interesting as I own a pre 22 fabia estate and really do not want to shell out for something else. 

As anyone seen this recent article - http://9to5google.com/2015/09/03/samsungs-new-car-mode-galaxy-own-android-auto/ 

This is a new app for new Samsung Galaxy phones which uses the mirrorlink technology to connect to a infotainment unit but seems to offer navigation etc. 

Seems to only work on the S5 and S6 so I cannot try it. But it might be worth giving it a go for any users. 

This is all fairly new and was released mid-september. 

It would be good to hear experiences if anyone has/does try.

Thanks 

I have now had my Kenwood fitted this week. I was away for a week and left the car at the dealers to fit the Kenwood at their leisure, and I was to pick the car up this afternoon.

Wednesday, Kate from Skoda rang me to see how the Kenwood was going, I said I was away, she confirmed it had been fitted Tuesday and would ring again Monday after having used the device over the weekend.

Having used the Kenwood this afternoon/evening, I am impressed with it, it is clear, updates quickly, has many features, the only thing that has not worked is the junction view, but the manual does say it only works if available in that area.

I must say thank you to Kate for resolving this issue, Skoda UK for funding half the Kenwood, the other half is funded by my dealer Startin Skoda Powick, Worcester - so thank you to Scott the Manager. Also on collection of my car it had also had a complementary valet.

Following my concerns, and the offer of the Kenwood, I been dealt with in a professional manner and am satisfied with the outcome.

• Like 2

I have now had my Kenwood fitted this week. I was away for a week and left the car at the dealers to fit the Kenwood at their leisure, and I was to pick the car up this afternoon.

Wednesday, Kate from Skoda rang me to see how the Kenwood was going, I said I was away, she confirmed it had been fitted Tuesday and would ring again Monday after having used the device over the weekend.

Having used the Kenwood this afternoon/evening, I am impressed with it, it is clear, updates quickly, has many features, the only thing that has not worked is the junction view, but the manual does say it only works if available in that area.

I must say thank you to Kate for resolving this issue, Skoda UK for funding half the Kenwood, the other half is funded by my dealer Startin Skoda Powick, Worcester - so thank you to Scott the Manager. Also on collection of my car it had also had a complementary valet.

Following my concerns, and the offer of the Kenwood, I been dealt with in a professional manner and am satisfied with the outcome.

Glad you've been sorted and everything is working good.

I've just got an email from the salesman who sold me the car saying Skoda CS had been in touch and asking me to go down to the workshop so the Tech guy can check my non compatible phone is well, non compatible. I've replied by saying is it worth it just to find out what I already know and have been told on numerous occasions by Kate.

He is also denying he said that the Mirrorlink issue would be sorted by Skoda and if it wasn't then it would be up to them as the retailer to put it right, he claims he was referring to Bluetooth [emoji34]

I've pretty much gave up on it and have found Kate to be unhelpful and unreliable, sorry if I sound negative but I just wish Skoda would treat everyone the same.

Sent from my Moto G

• Like 1

I am also pleased that you have been treated fairly and I am sure that Skoda UK. together with your dealership have in your case cemented the bond between the business and its customer.

Skoda UK have offered a 50% contribution, with me footing the other £280.00. I am trying to get my dealership to make a contribution also.

Another matter, which has upset me is the length of time that we have to wait for an outcome. As soon as I had bought my Sony Xperia Z3 and the Sygic Car Nav app, I realised that it was not working so I sent an email to Skoda UK giving them full details. It took them so long to tell me that the phone would not work, that I was unable to return the phone within the 14 days rule.

• Like 1

I am also pleased that you have been treated fairly and I am sure that Skoda UK. together with your dealership have in your case cemented the bond between the business and its customer.

Skoda UK have offered a 50% contribution, with me footing the other £280.00. I am trying to get my dealership to make a contribution also.

Another matter, which has upset me is the length of time that we have to wait for an outcome. As soon as I had bought my Sony Xperia Z3 and the Sygic Car Nav app, I realised that it was not working so I sent an email to Skoda UK giving them full details. It took them so long to tell me that the phone would not work, that I was unable to return the phone within the 14 days rule.

For £280 you could buy the Garmin Nuvicam satnav that has a front-facing camera and free upgrades for life...and move from car to car. If the Kenwood was gratis then yes, but I'm not sure it's worth that amount of money. Each to their own, however.

• Like 1

That was the same figure I have been offered. Maxine at Skoda CS is yet to put it in writing to me. I will certainly not be expecting to pay any contribution towards the labour and as I say will take it one step at a time. I have no qualms about going down a legal route should the final offer not be to my satisfaction. I have asked them to advise me of which phone will work with mirrorlink to provide the advertised facility. Of course this they cannot do. I personally think there is a good argument for this part of the product not being of merchantable quality. As we all know an integrated infotainment system is a big selling point of any car and the prospect of mirrorlink was a big factor in my purchasing decision. I accepted from the outset that my iPhone 6 was a non starter but did not realise that no phone exists that can provide a stable working solution. I had [planned to look to obtain a cheap android phone, throw in a PAYG sim and leave it tucked away in the car. The way they are treating all of their customers complaints on a case by case basis leaves an awful lot to be desired. They should treat all the same and if one customer has been provided with the Kenwood solution FOC so should all of the others. This is not rocket science and would be very easy for a small claims court judge to rule on.

• Like 3

interesting read about android auto

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/08/porsche_google_android_autho/

Google has flatly denied that its Android Auto car dashboard software slurps too much information from vehicle engines.

It was earlier claimed that Porsche snubbed the system because it was shocked by the alleged data gobble.

Google convinced many automotive manufacturers to use Android Auto for their in-car entertainment and information systems, but Porsche went with Apple and iOS instead. According to a report in Motor Trend, Porsche snubbed Google because the advertising giant's software wanted vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temperatures, and engine revs.

A source told the petrolhead mag that the German automaker wasn't happy handing over these diagnostics to a company that is potentially a rival – once computer-controlled robo-cars are allowed on the streets, of course. But Google told El Reg that the story isn't true.

"We take privacy very seriously and do not collect the data the Motor Trend article claims such as throttle position, oil temp, and coolant temp," the California biz said in a statement on Wednesday.

"Users opt in to share information with Android Auto that improves their experience, so the system can be hands-free when in Drive, and provide more accurate navigation through the car's GPS."

(It's possible Porsche dumped Android Auto because Apple's brand is a better match for the automaker's flash motors.)

interesting to read the full article, so just what data would android auto send back to google?

Pleased to report that Kate went on to order the parts direct from Kenwood and these have now arrived at my local Skoda dealer. My car is booked in for the Nav Module fitment next week. So well done to Kate and Skoda for sorting things out.   I must say,  I believe that the Kenwood MIB  will be far better than having a working mirrorlink system. 

Had the system fitted today,the navigation screen is extremely good. Initially the GPS aerial was mounted onto the top of the dashboard with the lead going to it clearly visible. To me this was unsightly so the technician relocated it under the dash. Everything was working fine but now the nav keeps on losing its connection to satellites.  Has any one else had this loss of satellite problem if not could you please let me know where your gps aerial is  located within the car.