Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

What were you offered first from Kate and what phone did you have when you took delivery of the car.

Kate has rang me today to inform me she's spoken to the dealer today and is waiting to here back from them regarding the Kenwood, have you had to make a financial contribution as she says that I may have to !!

When I got the car I had a LG P880 smart phone,this was not compatible with mirrorlink. I then bought a Samsung S5 which was mirrorlink enabled but this did not work either. At the time the only compensation from skoda was either a Garmin sat nav or £115, this derisory offer was rejected. Since then the supply and fitment of Kenwood satnav modules was offered, with no financial contribution from me. This offer I willingly accepted. It appears that quite a few others have taken the same solution. However I see that if you get yourself a phone that will work with the mirrorlink system skoda will not offer the Kenwood.

Update:

I have today accepted an offer through my dealer.

The dealers and Skoda UK are going halves each on the Kenwood MIB NAV unit, which will be installed behind my glovebox area, and plugs into the Bolero.

This does not solve any Mirrorlink issues, but they can't be solved without changing vehicles, and that just was not an option in the end.

The dealers are going to call me next week when they have the unit in, then we can arrange fitting.

I will still be writing to Skoda UK, to complain about the appalling customer 'service' but that is merely to get that off my chest.

So, if anyone is interested in this solution, you will need your dealer on board, as it will cost them about £180 and Skoda UK the same.

I'm mildly happy with the result, but very sick and tired of banging my head against a brick wall, so have decided to settle.

Hope everyone else who decides to take Skoda on, can get a solution that suits them.

Thanks Kevrs for bringing the Kenwood option to our attention. As a result of your efforts I am having this equipment supplied and fitted free of charge next week. 

• Like 2

Just a bit of info I have an LG g4 and a new Monte with armundsun nav and tried connectivity last night. Mirrorlink worked but there are no apps on my phone! Downloaded Android auto and it linked up and gave me Google maps and spotify. But word of warning seems spotify can only read a limited number of your tracks and playlists !! Pretty poor. I think I will stick with Bluetooth media playing despite not being able to see track listings.

FYI, dropped Skoda Customer Services an email on Friday, still awaiting a response (despite their "we will reply within 48 hours" blurb....)....[/quote

Typical fast service .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all, 

Just logged my complaint with Skoda Customer service and my dealership as well - Johnson's Skoda - Birmingham.

Skoda Service have been very unhelpful and have have replied from the very  beginning of the call  that they do not or cannot offer compensation of any kind  as I did not have an android  phone when i bought the car.

They have said that because I had an iPhone at the time of purchase of the car I will not be eligible for compensation or as they say goodwill compensation. It's like they're doing it  out of the goodness of their heart and giving me compensation not that there is fault with the car. ****ing idiots. Also the reason for my complaint is that when we went and got advice and signed for the car- our sales assistant actually said fully convinced that there will be an update latter this summer-autumn and mirrolink will be compatible. 1000% confidence. So obviously we believed him. Hope to get a Kenwood fitted to my car.

I have also logical with my dealership and they have said that they have just had another one of these last week and it was sorted although after long time.

I'm really quite unhappy with it I know it has taken me ages for me to actually file a complaint but hopefully something will will come out of it really not bothered with what.

Just a bit of info I have an LG g4 and a new Monte with armundsun nav and tried connectivity last night. Mirrorlink worked but there are no apps on my phone! Downloaded Android auto and it linked up and gave me Google maps and spotify. But word of warning seems spotify can only read a limited number of your tracks and playlists !! Pretty poor. I think I will stick with Bluetooth media playing despite not being able to see track listings.

I wonder if the Spotify issue is the same as the issue I had with Spotify on my Samsung Smart TV?

On the TV it only showed the first 10 items (in this case, all of them playlist folders) if the 10th item was a FOLDER. The fix was to make the 10th item in the list a PLAYLIST. See image of how my Spotify is set up (ignoring * STARRED)

Worth a try!

http://imgur.com/40UTiyP

FYI, dropped Skoda Customer Services an email on Friday, still awaiting a response (despite their "we will reply within 48 hours" blurb....)....[/quote

Typical fast service .

Funnily enough I had a call from Beth @ Skoda UK Cust Services this lunch time. We went through my issues - Yeti owner, Mirrorlink not playing, was informed when placed order that I'd be able to use the satnav etc on my phone, she seemed interested an promised to look into it and get back to me by Friday....we shall see, I wont be holding my breath! Interestingly she was totally unaware of a fix for the Yeti (upgrading Mirrorlink to Apple Car Play)....

Funnily enough I had a call from Beth @ Skoda UK Cust Services this lunch time. We went through my issues - Yeti owner, Mirrorlink not playing, was informed when placed order that I'd be able to use the satnav etc on my phone, she seemed interested an promised to look into it and get back to me by Friday....we shall see, I wont be holding my breath! Interestingly she was totally unaware of a fix for the Yeti (upgrading Mirrorlink to Apple Car Play)....

Perhaps Beth should have a word with Kate who might higher up the ladder at Customer service, or it may that it is still being sorted.Sorry to get your hopes up but when Kate has given me information is has generally been good.

Thanks Kevrs for bringing the Kenwood option to our attention. As a result of your efforts I am having this equipment supplied and fitted free of charge next week. 

No problem, everyone just needs to keep on at Skoda UK and the supplying dealers.

It won't work every time, but a lot of guys and gals are now getting the Kenwood MIB Nav option offered, and most FOC too. 

At the end of the day, Skoda know they are in the wrong.

Glad you have had a good result, I think you will be pleased with the unit, better than trying to use Mirrorlink and it's better than the optional Amundsen Nav too.

• Like 2

Perhaps Beth should have a word with Kate who might higher up the ladder at Customer service, or it may that it is still being sorted.Sorry to get your hopes up but when Kate has given me information is has generally been good.

No problem, she said she would speak with Kate....we shall see!!!

• Like 1

Is the Kenwood a complete solution. Ie does it offer all of the original features of the Bolero but just adds the sat nav and iPhone compatibility ?

The Kenwood solves no Mirrorlink issue at all, and does not add any IPhone compatibility at all.

Mirrorlink issues in pre week 22 cars cannot be solved by Skoda, as the software is not updateable currently.

The Kenwood unit is merely a top spec sat nav system, as it is assumed that Mirrorlink would mainly be used for sat nav, this is the highest level of compensation that Skodaare currently awarding.

You will need to have a few lengthy chats with Skoda UK and your dealer, if you feel you have been misinformed as to the capability of the system in your car.

• Like 1

No problem, she said she would speak with Kate....we shall see!!!

Well, to her word, Beth did call me back today, fair play to her.

Sadly her "technical team" have stated that there isn't an option to upgrade Mirrorlink in the Yeti to Apple Car Play - not sure where Kate got her info from?

I explained that at the time I was seeking to buy the Yeti I was given a brochure which showed Smartlink / Apple Car Play, and I was under the impression that that was what I would receive...Beth has gone away to investigate further...I am not holding my breath.

Complaint opened today with Skoda UK on the basis that the main dealer had insisted our iphone 4's  would work with mirrorlink prior to handover on Sep 1, even though I had questioned that claim.

Problem here is not only is the mirrorlink system flawed, but also the main dealer sales people don't know the product they are selling!  Skoda seem to have been keeping them in the dark about the mirrorlink compatibilty issues too, which can't be helping.

Edited by pauldazzle
  • Like 2

Well, to her word, Beth did call me back today, fair play to her.

Sadly her "technical team" have stated that there isn't an option to upgrade Mirrorlink in the Yeti to Apple Car Play - not sure where Kate got her info from?

I explained that at the time I was seeking to buy the Yeti I was given a brochure which showed Smartlink / Apple Car Play, and I was under the impression that that was what I would receive...Beth has gone away to investigate further...I am not holding my breath.

Sorry you are not getting anywhere with Skoda but it might be worth a chat with Kate I'm sure she said they were working on a fix .I understand your frustration I've enough of it myself[emoji53]

What is the most stable phone to use with the existing mirrorlink. I have seen that on the ccc site for example an HTC one M7 is shown as compatible and I could pick one up cheaply. I was thinking of just sticking a pays chip in and just having it in the car for sat nav purposes.

What is the most reliable smart phone to use. I was looking to buy a cheap phone just for the mirrorlink sat nav.

Sorry for doubling up. Thought first post had not gone

Edited by Pjm57

Has anyone got a stable mirror link set up working on a pre week 22 car and if so can you let me know which android phone you are using please. Thanks.

Edited by Pjm57

Hi all, I have read some very interesting and constructive posts. I appear to have exactly the same problems of many on this site.

I followed the advice on various sites both Skoda and mirror link and purchased the Sony experience ZC compact and also the Sygic car navigation app. The car navigation works on the mobile phone but the display on the infotainment system lags behind and does not refresh for some 4 to 5 minutes which makes driving to an unknown destination tortuous and dangerous.

I initially sent and email to Skoda UK on the 10th of September and following that I have had three weeks of utter stress,with my phone calls not being returned and at one stage I was told that  I had not in fact bought a compatible phone as it was not shown as such on Skoda's site. But that was because they had changed the green buttons to red!

Kate at the customer services has told me that I have no grounds to ask for any help because it's not Skoda's fault but Sony's because they updated their software.

I do not know why I am being treated any differently, as the bottom line is I have a car a phone but no sat nav.

Sorry to go on so, but...

What am I doing wrong? 

• Like 1