Dashcam Footage - What would you do?

Hi all,

So today i had all of my wheels balanced at my local tyre place and got a good price £16 to check and balance all my wheels. Out of curiosity I have just looked at the footage and as soon as the job was done he took the car down the road and back. It wasn't exactly a gently drive as he had his foot flat out to test the acceleration. Strangely this has not made me mad but am unsure of what to think as it was just a very short drive. Without showing the footage what is your opinions?

Thanks

Gary

I always wait while I have tyres fitted and they've never 'road tested' the car or ever asked to, sounds a bit like the guy had a joy ride. If they do take it for a drive for whatever reason they should treat customers cars with the utmost respect. Personally I'd be having a chat with the manager.

It reminded me of this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-32283758

Yes, I think it only fair that we get to see the footage.  However, most off.  I never had a car test driven after tyre fitting/balancing.  I would even go so far as to question if he was insured to drive your car on the road?

I think you're being generous even asking what to do. The initial giggling, seatbelt warning & nature of the drive says it all to me. They (sounds like two of them) were taking your car for a razz.

I'd go to the manager and, if it's a national chain, email a copy of that video to their head office. I think you'd even be justified taking it to the police as he was arguably driving without due care & attention.

• Like 4

If nothing else, that looks to be a case of taken without consent. I don't see how you could even argue that that was a test drive. Your car did sound good though!

Unfortunately, you've got nothing unless you can prove who was driving. Don't waste your time reporting this to the police unless you know exactly who was driving or think the garage would give evidence against their own staff member that he/she took the car. These idiots could have ran someone over but unless it can be proved which one was the driver it's not going any where, regardless of what the footage shows.

I was at the rear of a very large dealers the other day picking up my car and watched 2x young mechanics or lads in dealership overalls racing a pair of unregistered sporty cars down past the wash down and around the corner. We are only talking Max of 30mph as it is a very busy dealership and congested area but it was the manic looks on their faces that worried me.

Sorry OP but if my pride and joy was thrashed like that for no reason, I would report it to the tyre company initially.

They have no right to rag your car end of!

Just hope the oil was warm as I will not take my car above 2.5k rpm until it is totally warmed up so what gives them the right to potentially damage your property?

I have 1 mile on my clock from the dealer test driving so will be reviewing my footage later today see how he treated my car :)

I have a massive fear and mistrust for garages as back in the early 80's I worked in a British Leyland dealership for a whole summer and the things that happened have scared me for life, total disrespect for other peoples cars and stealing most of the parts that should have been fitted to the cars we were servicing!

It was unreal and sorry but that has stayed with me.

Edited by Defenderben

Rotate and balance is done all on site at the place i go to. Only time my mechanic has had to test drive my (old) car was when the CV shaft was replaced. As others have said, you should take this up with whoever owns the place.

I'd be down there in a Flash and show the film to the Manager. Ask him what he is going to do about it. There can't be many people working there and I would imagin it was the person doing the job.

If he does something fine,  ( in front of you ) if not take it further.  Screw 'em

Just think if they had crashed your car or even killed/injured someone.

I would have a word with the manager. Ask if there would be any reason/need for a "test drive" after wheel alignment first.

As above. No seatbelt, speeding, wheel spins, wreckless and are they even insured?!

If I'm driving someone else's car I do not drive like that unless it's either necessary or I have their permission to thrash it.

Edited by Phil-E
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your comments guys. From the previous footage you can see the guy that comes round and gets in the car. The car was also cold as it had been sat for a while and then was brought out and just taken straight out.

Was it on the job card for a test drive? Never heard of anyone driving the car after just fitting tyres. All the balancing is done in the garage.

Since you know who the driver is l would ask the manager what he intends to do about it. Tell him you are thinking about going to the Police. Apart from all the other things previously mentioned there's no gaurantee he even had a licence!