What's the best way to sell a Yeti?

Sporky McGuffin

I've just started a new job which comes with a company car (no option!) so need to shift my Yeti. It's just over two years old so I know full well that I'll be losing a lot to depreciation no matter what; that said, what's the best way to sell it with minimal hassle and maximum money back to me?

The local dealers say they've got enough Yeti stock and the webuyanycar offer was ridiculously low...

In our neck of the woods, sticking it on wide verges we have with a sale notice on it seems popular.

A public notice board with a picture is another.

I've heard of people saying why didn't you tell me you were selling it.

BOL

For information, my "WeBuyAnyCar" offer on my Roomster was low.

But "WeWantAnyCar" offered £1,000 more.  Which they paid. :)

Could also try and sell in on here for the grand cost of about £4 or so...

I advertised mine on here,  on the Yeti Owners Club site,  on Autotrader and on Gumtree,  at a very fair price,  and was astonished to have so few enquiries and only one viewing by someone who didn't really want a 2WD anyway.  No-one even bothered to haggle,  except the one who wanted me to give him the car for less than the PX offer.  Ended up accepting the dealer's paltry PX offer as the new Yeti arrived and I wasn't prepared to wait to get it!

I was offered £13250 from the We Buy any Car lot on my 15 month old 1.2 DSG Elegance Yeti with a sun roof and other extras with less than 9k miles on the clock. I finally managed to get £14500 part exchange from the Nissan dealers when I bought my Qashqai. Selling cars is a rip off and throwing money away I will not be swapping cars so early next time and will run them for a number of years.

The easiest sale I ever had was my fairly rare diesel Wrangler on Gumtree.

The bloke from interstate begged me not to sell it to anyone else as he intended to give me the advertised price.

If it had been the common petrol one it would have been another matter entirely as I rarely saw another diesel on the road.

^ ^ normally run 'em till approaching death, had a Mk 2 Golf which had covered 250k+++ miles when sold, it was still on original engine/g/box and used little oil, however the daily drag to work was 50 miles, mainly m/way with a little distance each end to get some heat into the lump!!

Being a 4x4 you stand a bitter chance of getting a decent price as Winter approaches and the mild hysteria of a Daily Express 'Winter White-Out' approaches. I sold a 4x4 Sedici on a snowy day, to a Fiat dealer directly and got £100 less than I paid for it over 2 years earlier (it had nice impressive looking Winter tyres on it and they were up a big hill :D )

So if you aren't in any rush I'd hang on a bit and fingers crossed, see if this latest El Ninio thing turns out to mean a bad winter too :)

In your situation as I assume you have a little time to get the best price I would say

• on this forum  (at least you are advertising to the converted), 
  • stick a couple of decent looking signs in the windows (you could even include little snippets of information like it was Car of the Year when it came out, the genuine mpg you get from it if you know this etc. and use the Yeti rather than your new car when you know it's going to be parked somewhere with decent footfall and
  • if you live on anything other than a cul-de-sac park it out on the road/verge and advertise to passing traffic.

None of these are going to cost you much and I've sold half a dozen cars from my drive this way, including a couple for friends. (OK they weren't this new but if you don't try....)

Hope the new job works out and you're not too disappointed with the top of the range Mercedes they are going to foist you off with as a replacement.

I advertised mine on here,  on the Yeti Owners Club site,  on Autotrader and on Gumtree,  at a very fair price,  and was astonished to have so few enquiries and only one viewing by someone who didn't really want a 2WD anyway.  No-one even bothered to haggle,  except the one who wanted me to give him the car for less than the PX offer.  Ended up accepting the dealer's paltry PX offer as the new Yeti arrived and I wasn't prepared to wait to get it!

This is interesting. Generally, are folk just too risk averse when in comes to spending good money on private sales?

This is interesting. Generally, are folk just too risk averse when in comes to spending good money on private sales?

The problem is more around finance at this price point. Clearly if the buyer doesn't have cash available they will need a bank loan rather than simplicity of the dealer sorting it as well as taking their PX. Throw in the 'hassle' of doing a HPI and possibly having to deal with the vendors finance company (I don't know if there is finance on the OPs car). Finally, there is the 'risk' of handing a five figure £ sum to a total stranger. Therefore, a sale within your network of friends/colleagues is often a best bet.

There are brave souls happy to take the risk to secure a bargain, but they tend to be people who 'know' cars. You also need to have time for the inevitable tyre kickers and 'canvassers'. Many people are 'money rich and time poor' so the relative hassle free option of a buying site works, particularly if the car is no longer needed, will be depreciating and is perhaps the subject of a monthly finance payment.

My advice is to advertise it at a 'to sell' price in the local paper and on free sites for no more than a couple of weeks then cut your losses with the buying site making the right offer. If you have the time, it may also be worth calling a few dealers slightly further afield.

Hard and sad fact of life is that you will never get what it is worth to you. It really grinds with me when I see the PX values of my cars, gutted at my last PX for the Roomy, saw my old car a few eeks later on a forecourt for twice what I got for it. I had tried to sell privately through forums and a like with no luck.

Take comfort in the simple fact that a PX or Company that buys cars is a clean easy way to get rid of a car. Nobody poking your pride and joy telling you its not worth it blah blah blah.

Best of luck

Ta.

I'm not emotionally invested in the price I get for it; I'll be sad to see it go for any amount of money, but my previous employer gave me a car and mileage allowance that more than covered the cost of the Yeti so anything I get back at this stage is a free leaving bonus. The first Yeti cost me £2k in deposit and was worth £12k at trade-in. If they take the proberbial I'm happy to walk away from them, but the figure they've offered is above the figure I'd accept for a quick simple sale so I've got some wiggle room. And a set of winter wheels to punt on if they don't want 'em.

The main consolation is that the new job is home based (but still going to see customers) so no horrible grind of a commute. Also it turns out the Mondeo (1.6 Ecoboost estate) is actually not bad at all.

Join Freedom and advertise it on here, also consider going back to Skoda Dealer as they might make you a sensible offer if they have a buyer lined up.

Just a thought, a 'competitor brand' might like a Yeti on their used forecourt to give as an example of their car being more desirable.

I'd try a Suzuki dealer perhaps.....think like a dealer does.

It's because if you drive down the road and the clutch goes you have to fix it.

Buying from a dealer, you can go back in the first three months.

Not in this case as it's newer, but most private cars I've bought have some faults.

People don't tend to spend money fixing things when they are going to sell it anyway.