Typical (fuel poll)

Chris GB

Which fuel do you prefer in the vRS?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which fuel do you prefer in the vRS?

• BP
    • BP Ultimate
    • Esso Energy
    • Shell Diesel Plus
    • Tescos
    • Sainsburys
    • Other (state what in thread)
    • I do not notice any difference between fuels.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've used Shell Diesel Extra apart from 2 tankfuls. Had to stick Texaco in during the panic-buying spree a couple of months ago. MPG dropped, engine was more noisy and it smoked like a 20 year old cab - which is exactly what my 306DT did on the same stuff 10 years ago. The other tankful was Esso, but that was when the car was new so I can't really objectively comment.

I refuse to use BP unless I'm caught with no fuel and there's no other option. It's horrendously expensive round here and that's just the normal stuff. Ultimate costs even more. I'm quite happy paying 7p/litre less and using Shell.

Currently using bp ultimate (shell diesel extra when ultimate is not available).

It is a bit pricey, but as I'm only averaging 9k per annum (The other 5k using the wife's Fabia PD 100 :) ), I'm prepared to pay for the privelege.

IMHO i think it is probably the cleanest burning diesel fuel currently available;

it leaves only the odd wisp on the tailpipe (no build up of sooty deposits. unlike the Jet diesel I briefly used :thumbdwn: ), even after some hard driving.

When in France over the Summer all the fuel companies have an 'Ultimate' style diesel(EG Total Excelium, Shell Optimax) so I tried them all. The BP gave the best economy(52mpg) but the Optimax Diesel felt like it had more power. I'm sure it's mostly psychological though.

Certainement !! ;)

Yep I agree - can't better 50mpg on a gentle run now. With Shell (which I voted for above) that can hit 55-58.

Seriously?

I've been thinking about my mpg now that my car has hit 1800miles. I'm averaging 45mpg, but I was expecting a bit higher. I've been using Tescos diesel from day one.

Might change for a month [about 4 tanks] and see if there's a difference in mpg.

Seriously?

I've been thinking about my mpg now that my car has hit 1800miles. I'm averaging 45mpg' date=' but I was expecting a bit higher. I've been using Tescos diesel from day one.

Might change for a month [about 4 tanks'] and see if there's a difference in mpg.

Yep - straight up. I honestly would change, I'd like to hear what you think, if you've always used Tesco diesel.

Steve

I use shell at every opportunity, (I find it doesn't smoke at all, and runs smoother) however my best mpg (for a whole days driving!) was 59.1 done recently on fuel from a Scottish local petrol station with a brand I didn't recognise, or even remember!

Yep - straight up. I honestly would change, I'd like to hear what you think, if you've always used Tesco diesel.

Okay. I'll use Shell for the next month or so and report back in this thread on performance, and mpg.

Shell if I can get it but mostly tesco as it's cheaper, forget BP as even the normal stuff is 2-3p more than others.

Though I have tried BP Ultra for a few tanks, seems to give a smoother feel and a little more poke.

All of the fuels make my smoke.................maybe thats coz it's diesel? :P

I've used all sorts, but I haven't really nticed any difference. The Fabia vRS is not exactly impressive for fuel economy, I just averaged 36 MPG on a 200 mile motorway run and I wasn't going that fast either, was only me in the car and had no luggage. :mad:

In my other car, a Polo 1.4 TDi (3 cyl) I get at least 50 MPG at the same speed.

I've used all sorts' date=' but I haven't really nticed any difference. The Fabia vRS is not exactly impressive for fuel economy, I just averaged 36 MPG on a 200 mile motorway run and I wasn't going that fast either, was only me in the car and had no luggage. :mad:

In my other car, a Polo 1.4 TDi (3 cyl) I get at least 50 MPG at the same speed.[/quote']Must be your driving mate, I can get 45-50 on 200 miles of motorways and average 40 on a very brisk 12 mile run to work down country roads

I've used all sorts' date=' but I haven't really nticed any difference. The Fabia vRS is not exactly impressive for fuel economy, I just averaged 36 MPG on a 200 mile motorway run and I wasn't going that fast either, was only me in the car and had no luggage. :mad:

In my other car, a Polo 1.4 TDi (3 cyl) I get at least 50 MPG at the same speed.[/quote']

Definitely something amiss there - what was your average speed for that trip?

On a run of that distance, on my own, I'll see 48-52 with cruise set in at 80-82.

On the topic of fuel types, I've just filled up with Shell again after getting rid of that Tesco rubbish and guess what, gone back to 50-55 with smooth driving, from 42-48 with Tesco on the same journey :eek: :thumbdwn: But Shell - a big :thumbup:

Steve

In my other car, a Polo 1.4 TDi (3 cyl) I get at least 50 MPG at the same speed.[/quote']

Gotta be something wrong or your driving style mate. My recent trip to York saw 57mpg with two of us and luggage. Cruise set to achieve an average speed of 70mph.

Same as Steve - Shell fuel

...I've been thinking about my mpg now that my car has hit 1800miles. I'm averaging 45mpg' date=' but I was expecting a bit higher. I've been using Tescos diesel from day one...QUOTE']

I'm on my third diesel Skoda (Felicia, Fabia TDI, Fabia vRS) and they all improved their fuel consumption noticeably after 5000 - 8000 miles, so judging your vRS after 1800 miles is probably a bit harsh - it hasn't loosened up yet.

I now prefer Shell Diesel Extra (and am prepared to schedule a diversion to get it) and after 25K miles I get 52.5 mpg [indicated] reliably, up to 58 mpg on a good day (warm, no traffic, fluent driving, no combine harvesters/sunday drivers etc) - including bursts of fun - which is what it's all about anyway.

The problem with this poll is that anyone who remembers or cares what brand of fuel they put in their car are the only people likely to vote in it. It's no surprise the super duper shell diesel or whatever comes out on top.

The problem with this poll is that anyone who remembers or cares what brand of fuel they put in their car are the only people likely to vote in it. It's no surprise the super duper shell diesel or whatever comes out on top.

Not quite sure what your point is :confused: - surely people remember where they usually fill their cars up?!

And I'm referring to bog-standard Shell diesel, which is the same price round here as Esso, Texaco and Tesco (as long as you don't have a 5p off voucher!)

Steve

Don't want to be contentious and don't have a vRS so i'm not voting but i've never really noticed the difference in my car performance through using different fuels and really would be hard pushed to say what brand I last put in or put in most other than 'Last got diesel at the garage up the road' (I think it might be Shell).

Part of that comes down to the fact that here in N.I. choice is limited anyway. I just don't think the results are surprising. When it comes to performance, supermarket fuels have been knocked and Shell Plus/BP Ultimate praised on here as long as I can remember.

When it comes to performance, supermarket fuels have been knocked and Shell Plus/BP Ultimate praised on here as long as I can remember.

Perhaps thats for good reason though, maybe you could try to believe that actually people do think that one brand is better than another. It's certainly the case for many other things in life so why not the fuel we put in our cars?

Don't want to be contentious and don't have a vRS so i'm not voting but i've never really noticed the difference in my car performance through using different fuels and really would be hard pushed to say what brand I last put in or put in most other than 'Last got diesel at the garage up the road' (I think it might be Shell).

Part of that comes down to the fact that here in N.I. choice is limited anyway. I just don't think the results are surprising. When it comes to performance' date=' supermarket fuels have been knocked and Shell Plus/BP Ultimate praised on here as long as I can remember.[/quote']

To me it's interesting because this poll thread happened to coincide with me filling mine with a tank of Tesco's derv, which I don't ever do. The 5p off voucher convinced me to try it though. And I was able to tell the difference not only in the lower MPG figures on standard journies but also in the car's throttle response.

Steve

Ok, i'm starting to see the point of this thread. Nearly picked up the BP Ultimate stuff nozzle the other night instead of the ordinary stuff. Next time i'll give it a go. Opinion seems to be that the car will run smoother, quieter (which is a good thing as I thought the big ends were going to drop out this morning when I started up - think it's normal but just not used to the PD yet) and i'll probably get a couple of extra MPG. That equates to about a 4% increase in mpg and ultimate costs 4% more so i'll be no worse off on the money front and my engine will think christmas has come early. Half a tank of the usual BP stuff to go.

For the record, I only know which brand the garage sells because SWMBO reminded me.

BP ultimate is very expensive where we live. Shell is probably the cheapest oddly enough. It's certainly no more expensive the ASDA/Tesco/Sainsbury's unless you have a voucher.