Smart Link AMA (ask me anything)

My past car purchase was 7 years ago, it was pretty state of the art at the time but even then all the systems worked independently of each other, (Bluetooth, sat nav, mpg counters) can't wait to get stuck in to the new car. I can't work out if I will spend more time playing with the systems or driving it first!

• Like 1

it's about 50:50 for me so far. I've not yet plugged in VCDS either, just fitted the sill protectors and the bumper protector at the boot, the rain seems to have stopped at last so I might go and play with VCDS tonight

• Like 1

Oh I forgot to say, nothing from smartlink is shown on the maxi dot ('the little screen ')

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Excellent write up. I have a question, is there an option on the MFD to see smartlink information on it and if there is what does it show?

It would be cool if it showed navigation....but I doubt it. The car I played on had no key so couldnt check.

Im getting mine on Friday so will have a chance to play.

If your around Dublin give me a shout if you wanna look.

• Like 1

It would be cool if it showed navigation....but I doubt it. The car I played on had no key so couldnt check.

Im getting mine on Friday so will have a chance to play.

If your around Dublin give me a shout if you wanna look.

It doesn't. Maxidot shows amundsen nav info but not android auto or apple car play

• Like 1

It doesn't. Maxidot shows amundsen nav info but not android auto or apple car play

Does the head unit just act as a slave for the phone?

In other words do all apps work via the in car screen?

I use NavMii as my navigation app, unlike google maps it does not need a data connection to work, so you don't get lost when the signal disappears.

The other (and best) reason for using NavMii is that it is integrated with What 3 words, a precise address location system. If I can use that on the Amundsen screen then that would be REALLY cool.

yeah basically the head unit becomes a slave for the phone as you say. What you can show there depends on the app, if the author has updated it to be android auto compatible then it will work. Basically android auto is a simplified interface so that you don't have too much on screen - that would be as bad as playing with your phone while driving, so it is stripped back to the essentials. If your app isn't compatible then I guess it might work with mirror link - not sure how that works though, I've just played around with android auto and it works really well. 

Maybe you need to get on to the makers of navmii to pester them to make it android auto compatible.

Adding Smartlink - once build date confirmed.

I ordered our car on the 5th June and have had a build week confirmed for some time now (wk 35  :yawn: ).

Having read this thread I decided to see if I can get the feature enabled at build - I know that its installed in the car, but there have been a number of comments that its not possible to get the enabling code applied after delivery.

I emailed my dealer late yesterday, just had an email back saying "all sorted".... So if anyone has had a change of thought about this feature and they already have a build week allocated it is still possible to get that bit of the order changed.

I expect there is some sort of point of no-return, but If you don't ask you wont get!

• Like 1

another quick video showing you what android auto does

oooh - not sure about that I was hoping that it would speak in English, not Czech!!!

I have those anyway but the drl dimming with indicators and so on just don't work

Did you reset the lighting settings from the infotainment?

Are you using the latest VCDS Beta so that it stands a chance of supporting the new controllers?

Also, the latest beta has a tickbox when you are changing adaptations to do a soft reset of the controller :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

oooh - not sure about that I was hoping that it would speak in English, not Czech!!!

That was just the radio, I'm in Scotland not the Czech Republic

• Like 1

Did you reset the lighting settings from the infotainment?

Are you using the latest VCDS Beta so that it stands a chance of supporting the new controllers?

Also, the latest beta has a tickbox when you are changing adaptations to do a soft reset of the controller :)

No I didn't Andy. I'll try again. Not using the beta version but may try to. Mirror dipping coded ok but doesn't work

Is the mirror switch pointing to L? And have you enabled it in infotainment?

Yes and yes. Just reset the lights to factory settings on the mib. DRL still stays on when indicating. May download the beta later.

The coming home lights the channels have increased in numbers but I speak German so it was OK. Just need to wait til 11 to test it. Comfort signals accepted the coding but still stuck on 3. Does that need a reset too?

Eoin hopefully this shows you how it works and what info there is

my phone decided to reboot itself at the end as the phone holder was squeezing the power button and that screwed up smartlink

Looks good! Not super quick though is it? I wonder how much of that is down to mib2/phone/data connection? Presumably if it's phone or data that should speed up when technology improves...

Looks good! Not super quick though is it? I wonder how much of that is down to mib2/phone/data connection? Presumably if it's phone or data that should speed up when technology improves...

it's down to a lousy phone signal, works much faster when there's a good signal but we have lousy signal at the house

• Like 1

Ok, try with the beta.

I need to get my hands on a MY16 to check out the changes with MIB2

not had time to try the beta as I go on holiday today but having left it overnight the comfort indicator has no changed to 5 flashes whereas last night it just refused to do that. 

DRLs still refuse to dim while indicating. Will try with the beta when I get back and I'll also let you know where the numbers have changed for things like comfort indicators so you can update the guide for MY16

As I said in the first post in the VCDS sticky, ignore the numbers in brackets as these will vary between controller versions, it is the text description you are looking for.

The comfort indicator just needed a controller reset then :)

• Like 1