Smart Link AMA (ask me anything)

Well after my Samsung Note 4 being a bit hit and miss with connecting to the car via Smartlink I decided to flash a custom ROM to see if it was a Samsung thing. Flashed CyanogenMod 12.1 yesterday morning and haven't have any failed connections yet - it just works and coupled with the phones already better performance I'm having less delays when using android auto too.

• Like 2

S6 has no removable battery and no sd card so that's ruled out. Maybe the HTC one m9

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Have you considered the Sony z-series?

Granted, it doesnt have a removable battery. But the battery on my z2 last way way longer than s4 I had before it. I would dare to say it last at least twice as long.

S6 has no removable battery and no sd card so that's ruled out. Maybe the HTC one m9

I do like the all metal design though. Just feels much more "solid" something my plastic nexus5 has never felt. My be need to wait for this LG g4 pro that is around the corner...

I STRONGLY recommend people NOT to buy Samsung. Samsung is infamous for bloatware (non-removable), lag, stutters, sloooooow updates etc etc. Go for smaller, fresher things. My 2 year old Nexus 5 kicks the **** out of most new phones even though lower specs. Much faster because of no bloatware, speedy updates. Or, go for Motorola X, also great phones. 

Sadly Motorola not offered by Vodafone and the moto phones don't work with android auto. I have a moto g 4g at the moment as a replacement for the Sony z1 which developed the self shattering screen problem that the z series all suffer from. So my choice is s6,s5,m9 or G4. That's about all that Vodafone currently offer.

They do offer the nexus 6 but at a much higher cist than the other phones and again no removable battery, no sd card

Sadly Motorola not offered by Vodafone and the moto phones don't work with android auto. I have a moto g 4g at the moment as a replacement for the Sony z1 which developed the self shattering screen problem that the z series all suffer from. So my choice is s6,s5,m9 or G4. That's about all that Vodafone currently offer.

My z2 has fallen in floor countless times and its still undamaged. I think it was solved after z1, newer ones have a different glass.

My z2 has fallen in floor countless times and its still undamaged. I think it was solved after z1, newer ones have a different glass.

my Z1 was sitting on a sofa when the screen shattered. 

There are reports of the Z2 and Z3 with the same problem. Many many many reports

http://www.gizmobolt.com/2014/10/27/xperia-z3-self-cracking-screen-issue-appears/

http://www.myce.com/news/sony-xperia-z3-and-z3-compact-users-massively-complain-about-randomly-cracking-glass-74284/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/z3/help/screen-cracks-easily-t2904248

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=588298597963717&id=370754419718137

http://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/sony-xperia-z-cracking-phone-screen-replacement-repair-warranty/

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2347671

I could go on. I will never buy Sony again. It wasn't just the way they sold a product that was defective, but the way they refused to consider the warranty due to the "fact that you impacted your phone" when I had done no such thing. In the end I got a full refund but never again.

My Z3 managed to bend and crack ala iPhone 6 plus. Couldn't believe my eyes and it wasn't treated any differently to other phones. Pity as it was a great phone otherwise.

I'm thinking of going back to an iOS though...I have a bad habit of buying the next big android flagship when they come out. Had 5 phones this year alone which is something I never did when I had iPhones. How are people finding Apple Carplay?

• Like 1

Nicely back on topic Eoin. I suspect though if other manufacturers released ios phones you've be upgrading more often -  you need some self control not a new phone  :D

• Like 1

Not sure about the British system, but I always buy my phones off contract and choose a plan from the company that is currently cheap.

Not sure about the British system, but I always buy my phones off contract and choose a plan from the company that is currently cheap.

I do that for my own personal phone but this is my company phone and my employer takes out a contract for handset and sim card

MY16 vRS

Bolero and Smartlink

iPhone 6 & Xperia Z3

On Three in UK

Car due in next couple of weeks so looking forward to trying out the apple car play side of it.

• Like 1

Plugged in a LG g3 and it didn't work, didn't have much time to try and figure out what was wrong.

My Nexus 5 is also infuriatingly inconsistent (even with my shorter cable which used to work) keep having to reboot it to get it to work. Let's not mention Smartgate module which hasn't worked on my android phone since I have had the car.

Annoyingly, connected iPhone to Smartgate in one try and connection to car play seems to be more consistent. I suspect this is in part down to car play being native on iPhone and Android Auto being an app.

Plugged in a LG g3 and it didn't work, didn't have much time to try and figure out what was wrong.

My Nexus 5 is also infuriatingly inconsistent (even with my shorter cable which used to work) keep having to reboot it to get it to work. Let's not mention Smartgate module which hasn't worked on my android phone since I have had the car.

Annoyingly, connected iPhone to Smartgate in one try and connection to car play seems to be more consistent. I suspect this is in part down to car play being native on iPhone and Android Auto being an app.

Welcome to the inconsistent but wonderful world of Android.

A tip for the SmartGate - uninstall the Skoda Service app on Android  if you have installed it. Install the Skoda Service App on your iPhone and you should be able to upgrade the SmartGate firmware using it :)

• Like 2

Welcome to the inconsistent but wonderful world of Android.

A tip for the SmartGate - uninstall the Skoda Service app on Android if you have installed it. Install the Skoda Service App on your iPhone and you should be able to upgrade the SmartGate firmware using it :)

Thanks for the warm welcome! Will give the iPhone thing a try (that does mean that I will be borrowing the wife's iPhone to spend time sitting in the car in the drive....) :)
  • Like 1

Can someone confirm Google Maps on Android works with Android Auto while driving?

After seeing this review, I have my doubts, since he mentions the only 'approved' app for use while driving is Sygic navigation.

Allthough I think he may be using MirrorLink instead of Android Auto.

Thanks!

Can someone confirm Google Maps on Android works with Android Auto while driving?

After seeing this review, I have my doubts, since he mentions the only 'approved' app for use while driving is Sygic navigation.

Allthough I think he may be using MirrorLink instead of Android Auto.

Thanks!

Google Maps on Android Auto while driving works! Google Maps on Mirrorlink does not!