Most/Least desirable models of MK1?

Hi guys,

Just interested to know how the various engines in the Mk1 rank relative to each other, and which are generally the most desirable?

Obviously its subjective to a degree and I'm not so bothered about the VRS, but as an example it seems to me that the 1.4TDI is fairly desirable and seems to command higher prices second hand than most of the others, whereas there are a lot of 1.4 petrols (and quite a few 1.9SDI's) on autotrader in the <£1000 bracket.

Thoughts? :)

All estate ones are cheap, or cheaper than the equivalent hatchback.

Sdi Classic is your bog basic, excellent cars, mostly because of how basic they are!

1.4 tdi is the middle market, good little runners, cheaper tax and insurance than the 1.9 tdi.

1.9 tdi pd100 elegance is the top end of the luxury market basically, heated seats, all four electric windows etc etc

1.9 tdi Vrs pd130. Used to be worth decent money, but now they are getting on abit the market is huge, you'll see 2003 for around £1,000 and 2007 for around £5,000

All the petrol equivalents are again worth a lot less. Plenty of the 1.4 petrol elegance are in the scrap yards now.

1.4TDi is a cracking little car. Good on fuel, even if you've got a heavy right foot. I had a year of hacking up the M6/M/A74(M) and then the A82,( monthly- dad was in hospital after a stroke) and apart from the need for a sixth gear to keep revs down at higher :devil:  speeds , it was never noisy for a basic car. Tax is low, but don't worry, the vampires in the Exchequer will soon sort that out. Buying one with makers tyres, I'd head down to a tyre place and get the speed ratings sorted out. Skoda fit the lowest of the low in ratings . I had to replace both fronts at low mileage due to bulges caused by poor tyres and local potholes ( something I've never had to do in a lot of years in present locality). Something else I worry about is the size of front discs - I'd think larger discs would be better. only other consideration is repair costs, as every four years/ 60k ( whichever comes first) you are advised to have cambelt /idler pulley and waterpump changed. ( Water pump is cheap replacement when fitter is in there, but a lot of cash if done separately). For the older Classic models, I'd suggest a retro fit of central locking. And a PITA to have to open the driver door at supermart to put stuff in boot ( especially when the sky opens). I remember TOP GEAR checking out a Vrs against a (not a ) Mini Cooper , with the not a mini getting a very red face. but the torque range ,once past take away revs is impressive. Take away nice & leisurely ( in old git mode) and it will slowly climb through the gears. Get it up to around 2k RPM and you can change up rapidly ( OAP racer mode) and it will oblige. Not a red hot performance, but it's a Corset /Fusta model( not a GTI/Sri/ST)), but I suspect nobody has told it that.

My recently sold 1.4 elegance was a rare one with electric rear windows, heated seats, mystic beige interior & dark met blue paint...........well looked after & properly run. Those AUB engines are a cracker if treated right.............unfortunately ALOT are NOT................

There's not a lot to choose between a well set up vRS or a comfort model for...errrr...comfort! (imho) so the 1.9vRS SE gets my vote. Ours has been a real workhorse, covering long distances in comfort, with reasonable luggage space, total reliability and outstanding economy as well as performance.  It has been used for everything from family getaways to tip runs/school runs, for shopping and for fun.  How many 1.4 engined versions manage high 70's mpg I wonder?  There hasn't been such a good fun, reliable, economical performance hatch made yet that comes close imho.  Whilst they may be short on toys and gimmicks, they deliver where it counts.  Even the insurance group is cheap.  My vote goes to the ASZ engined 2007 SE model, the last, and the best of the MK1 vRS models imho.  I have had earlier BLT models but the interiors let them down and the gearing didn't seem as optimised.

Edited by SEVrs

There's not a lot to choose between a well set up vRS or a comfort model for...errrr...comfort! (imho) so the 1.9vRS SE gets my vote. Ours has been a real workhorse, covering long distances in comfort, with reasonable luggage space, total reliability and outstanding economy as well as performance.  It has been used for everything from family getaways to tip runs/school runs, for shopping and for fun.  How many 1.4 engined versions manage high 70's mpg I wonder?  There hasn't been such a good fun, reliable, economical performance hatch made yet that comes close imho.  Whilst they may be short on toys and gimmicks, they deliver where it counts.  Even the insurance group is cheap.  My vote goes to the ASZ engined 2007 SE model, the last, and the best of the MK1 vRS models imho.  I have had earlier BLT models but the interiors let them down and the gearing didn't seem as optimised.

Wrong way round pre 06 were asz code and later including the SE were blt.

I'd say that possibly the least desirable Fabia Mk1 would be the saloon version.

As dealers we were forced allocated them when they were new and had to register them, purely as they didn't sell at all well. They were a heady mix of 1.4 16v Autos and the 1.9 sdi.

Slightly odd specs as well, a lot were Classic spec, but had the comfort steel wheels and wheel trim and chrome interior door handles. Surprisingly always nearly bought by the elderly!!!

The estates in comparison were really popular, the SDi's especially.

For the average joe the 1.4TDi is probably the most desirable in terms of day to day running costs. It will also be more practical than the equivalent petrol when it comes to pulling a full car of people/luggage about or doing a long commute. 

On the other hand the vRS will be more desirable to the market who want a sporty car but don't want the running costs associated with one. For that it's spot on and there isn't much else out there in the price bracket that ticks the boxes. Golfs with the same engine, age and mileage are quite a bit more expensive more often than not.

I love my 1.9tdi estate bohemia model. Bit odd with the spec with non electric rear windows. Basic interior light. Have uprated the light. Still want to fit led's in the back. Have fitted grab handles as well. I wanted an estate due to work and dogs. The dog guard is to stop them going into the boot/ crumple zone. Have a tow hitch as well. Last car was golf cab with a 2 litre engine and low ratio gearbox so still needed some poke.

Least desirable has to be the 2.0 MPI due to it's sheer thirst, makes a great towing car though as I'm finding, trying to buy a decent one without a towbar is proving difficult.

I'd trade my 1.4 8V 68bhp hatchback for a 2.0MPI hatchback. With or without a towbar, it should be a lot more fun to drive and the fuel consumption should be about the same.  :angel:

that's really strange. Are you getting your code from the engine or the v5?

:doh: V5 confirms BLT....my mistake.....confused it with our earlier model doh!  Yes, Bacon Lettuce & Tomato engine it is :thumbup:

• Like 1

Least

The 2.0 in hatch variant... - Too thirsty for modern tastes.

The saloon bodyshell variants. Not well loved.

Most.

Pretty much any hatch and estate. Arguments can even be made for loved an X reg 1.4MPi if it's trouble free as it'd be cheeeap. :)

Although.... I'd like to see a decent attempt at 1.8T-ing a saloon with an adapted sport style bodykit. And the 2.0 is good for some and a decent platform for modifying as it comes with the 288mm brakes.