ASG any good?

neiln

What's the ASG box like, any good?  It's a single input shaft, single clutch, mechatronically controlled manual style box isn't it?  So like a dsg but I imagine with more 'lurching' or noticeable gear changes?  Are they OK or clunky and slow?   And is it reliable?  All thoughts and experience welcome. Ta.

About as far from a DSG as you could possibly imagine.

Or so I'm told.  :D   I've not driven an ASG but I do love the DSG in Mrs T's Fabia vRS and, by all accounts, the ASG is nothing like it!

This is probably a completely useless post!

OK, plan to help a nervous driver cope with driving for the first time in many years by going ASG are ditched!   Swmbo has a full licence and can stick to a manual!  Although I had a wiggle of the manual stick when in a dealer today ( my octy was in for service) and the box felt awful!  Are they any better when the car is moving?

I have made this comment previously. I have an Elegance 75 with the 'auto' box & once used to it I find it perfectly acceptable. There are a few situations where it struggles, but in general I quite enjoy driving with it. It is very much more economical than a standard auto box. Try one for an extended test drive to see how you/wife gets on with it. Dennis. (dennisdavisdesigns)

• Like 2

I think a lot is down to expectations...

Just don't jump in one and expect it to match a DSG and change gear in 8ms!

For what it is it's a good box. And for what most people want from it then it's perfectly fine.

It's no better or no worse than any of the other automated manuals from other manufacturers.

Phil

• Like 1

A young lady friend of mine who is not a "Lady Racer" and has general everyday use, finds it perfectly okay. Had her car for 12 months now, no problems - Citigo Elegance 5DR 75bhp ASG. Just had 1st service.

Horse for courses!

Check up owner threads if I were you.

Think the ASG had a recall or service campaign a little while ago.

Car not designed to be a racy little hot hatch - hence where Skoda save some money and can charge lower / more competitive prices /packages.

5 young friends of mine - 4 manual 60 bhp and 1 ASG 75bhp. Currently 10000 - 1500 miles cover without missing a beat!

All bought in last 12 months and love them to bit - all on PCP 0% ,3 YEARS FREE SERVICING etc. Cracking deal for young or old imo.

Edited by vrskeith

A young lady friend of mine who is not a "Lady Racer" and has general everyday use, finds it perfectly okay. Had her car for 12 months now, no problems - Citigo Elegance 5DR 75bhp ASG. Just had 1st service.

Horse for courses!

Check up owner threads if I were you.

Think the ASG had a recall or service campaign a little while ago.

Car not designed to be a racy little hot hatch - hence where Skoda save some money and can charge lower / more competitive prices /packages.

5 young friends of mine - 4 manual 60 bhp and 1 ASG 75bhp. Currently 10000 - 1500 miles cover without missing a beat!

All bought in last 12 months and love them to bit - all on PCP 0% ,3 YEARS FREE SERVICING etc. Cracking deal for young or old imo.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/329360-citigo-asg-tcu-recall/

If an auto' is a 'must' for city/urban driving, I would stay clear of the VAG ASG.

Paradoxically, it's OK when rolling along and for leisurely, low-density traffic use, but my wife finds ours too hesitant for decisive exits from junctions and entry into roundabouts in town and city driving.

The ASG and automated manual gearboxes are built to a price.

I consider the Toyota IQ with a CVT gearbox the ultimate city tool. A shame Toyota have pulled the IQ from the range.

• Like 1

You need to learn the ASG, when approaching a roundabout or junction and you are going to continue straight on without stopping, lightly tap the throttle, it tells the box to engage the gear and then not a problem. Otherwise it tries to remain in neutral in case you stop.

Edited by warrenbos

You need to learn the ASG, when approaching a roundabout or junction and you are going to continue straight on without stopping, lightly tap the throttle, it tells the box to engage the gear and then not a problem. Otherwise it tries to remain in neutral in case you stop.

Thanks for this, when I remember I've been tapping the gearstick to force the gear I want.  When you forget and pull out needing to accelerate quickly and its in its neutral/what gear shall I use/he want to accelerate i'll go into 2nd/3rd mood it can get very emotional!!!, so i'll try this out. 

I find the asg overall ok, fine for out of town etc, and fine for in town, you just have to play a little more than you would in a normal auto/cvt. (came from a normal auto and have a cvt as the main car)

If you're after a new cvt then the micra fits the bill, but a little more expensive and also not as good mpg wise.