Mazda 6 owners

andyb_sv

Looking a t getting a Mazda 6 Tourer SEL Nav, 2.2D 150 for my next car. Will be covering around 20k miles a year, mostly in the motorway.

Had a test drive and really liked it, would be interested to hear opinions of any owners especially with regards to fuel consumption.

Guest BigJase88

The worst thing will be the depreciation.

They drop like a stone.

Id rather buy a 3/4 year old one

Neighbour has a 2/3yr old one. Has toured Europe towing a caravan with it. He really likes it.

Mate had a 2007, he didn't particularly look after it but it rotted like a 70s Fiat and generally fell apart rather rapidly after 80k.

Thanks. Don't need to worry too much about rust etc as I'll only be keeping it for 4 years (work out out scheme). Obviously depreciation comes into it but the way I see it is that with my current company car I'm effectively renting it for 3 years then giving it back so as long as I break even I'm no worse off than I am now.

I had a gen2 Mazda 6 2.2d and I would steer clear. I'm still on the Mazda 6 owners club and there are several issues even with the gen3 2.2d unit causing premature engine failure.

Edited by mdon
  • Like 1

I have a 2011 mk 2 but a petrol one, the 2.2D engine seemed a bit of a disaster both in terms of reliability and economy - I've been a bit shocked to see some Mazda owners averaging 40mpg out of the 180bhp version compared to the 35 I get out of my inefficient 2.5 litre petrol.  I'd recommend this forum for more reading:

http://www.mazda6oc.co.uk/forum/

It's a quiet forum compared to here but the busiest of the UK ones I've found.

John

• Like 1

I have a 2011 mk 2 but a petrol one, the 2.2D engine seemed a bit of a disaster both in terms of reliability and economy - I've been a bit shocked to see some Mazda owners averaging 40mpg out of the 180bhp version compared to the 35 I get out of my inefficient 2.5 litre petrol.  I'd recommend this forum for more reading:

http://www.mazda6oc.co.uk/forum/

It's a quiet forum compared to here but the busiest of the UK ones I've found.

John

Similar to John's statement above...

I had a good mate who owned the Mazda 6 Gen2 Estate 2.5 petrol for 60000+ miles and loved it.

He had heard about some diesel problems and avoided those models in the end.

I was interested in either a Mazda 6 or a Skoda Octavia, The Mazda had a pretty dull dashboard layout but that wasn't what swayed me to Skoda, It was the crash test results between the two cars that made me go for the Octavia over the Mazda in the end..

I was interested in either a Mazda 6 or a Skoda Octavia, The Mazda had a pretty dull dashboard layout but that wasn't what swayed me to Skoda, It was the crash test results between the two cars that made me go for the Octavia over the Mazda in the end..

Which Mazda6/Octavia was that?  I was going to say the current mk 3 versions of both cars score broadly the same on the Ncap tests and I couldn't see anything other than minor difference but I'm guessing you must mean the mk 1 Mazda6?  

Edit: Actually having said that, the Ncap results for the mk 1 Mazda6 and Octavia mk2 are both similar as well.

John

I've had a poke around on that forum, had hoped it would be a bit more like this one :)

I've heard about the 2.2 engine failures which is the only thing that's putting me off at the moment, ticks all the other boxes. As I'll only be keeping it while under warranty in theory I should be ok.

Not too bothered about being dull etc (I can't believe I just typed thst), I spend most of my life sat on the motorway so as long as it's comfortable cruising then I'll be happy.

Which Mazda6/Octavia was that?  I was going to say the current mk 3 versions of both cars score broadly the same on the Ncap tests and I couldn't see anything other than minor difference but I'm guessing you must mean the mk 1 Mazda6?  

Edit: Actually having said that, the Ncap results for the mk 1 Mazda6 and Octavia mk2 are both similar as well.

John

It was the older models, around 2007.

I've had a poke around on that forum, had hoped it would be a bit more like this one :)

I've heard about the 2.2 engine failures which is the only thing that's putting me off at the moment, ticks all the other boxes. As I'll only be keeping it while under warranty in theory I should be ok.

Not too bothered about being dull etc (I can't believe I just typed thst), I spend most of my life sat on the motorway so as long as it's comfortable cruising then I'll be happy.

I'd say in general there's no other car forums as good as this but the general lack of community for the Mazdas is the worst part of ownership for me, that's the busiest UK forum I've found and it's comparatively dead for a forum.  The US Mazda forums are much busier but while their car shares a lot of parts with the European ones, they're quite different in other regards.   The lack of a decent stereo is one of my other issues with the car, there's no third party options I can find (unlike Kenwood and Zenec options for the VW's) and like the VW's, there's a few niggles to be aware of when fitting a new stereo but I can't find any reliable information about fitting a different stereo.

I don't think it's a dull car, it attracts quite a few comments from people (which surprises me) and I find it good to drive although the 2.5 feels and sounds uninspiring.  The interface in the car is terrible, looks made for a car 15 years ago which is all the stranger given it does have plenty of more advanced features but the mk 3 is far better in that regard.  Have they sorted the oil contamination issue with the current 2.2D?  On the previous engines I don't think that was covered under the warranty although I would hope they've sorted that now.

John

It was the older models, around 2007.

The mk1 Mazda6 (pre-2008) and the Mk2 Octavia both have identical crash results (four stars each for adults and children).  For the mk 3's of both cars (it's the mk3 that's in question for this topic), both are five star rated and very similar performance in the crash test report.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7

Just had another look with regards to the diesel reliability, most of the failure seem to be coming from 2010-2012 cars, haven't seen anything on later cars unless someone can help out?

I'm not sure, this page suggests it's a new version of the 2.2 diesel which is different to the engine that second gen Mazda6's had:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Diesel_engine

However on the Skyactiv-D page it says the CX-5's which were the first cars to have the new engine, had trouble with rising oil level:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv#SKYACTIV-D_2.2

Then again the link for the diesel engine delay makes no reference to oil problems and instead references more simple performance problems:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089587_2015-mazda-6-diesel-sedan-further-delayed-company-says

At the very worst it does look like Mazda would support any issues under warranty which they weren't initially doing for the mk 2's.

John

It was Youtube where i was looking at the euro NCAP tests, There wasn't much in it but the Octavia was noted for it's strong body and good side impact protection.         Still think the styling of the Mazda is really nice.

Just had another look with regards to the diesel reliability, most of the failure seem to be coming from 2010-2012 cars, haven't seen anything on later cars unless someone can help out?

The gen 2 diesels 2009-2013 had issues with timing chains and oil pick ups and injectors however the latest ones 2013 onwards have oil and crankshaft issues resulting in engine rebuild or replacement under warranty. It's all on the owners forum. I had my figures burned with my gen2 so I doubt I'd go back to them.

Hasn't Jigger72 just got one too?

Gaz

Yep :sun:

And all the research I did told me to stay well clear of the Mazda 6 diesel engine, or any Mazda diesel engine to be fair. The 2.0 litre is the worse culprit with the engine pumping extra fuel into the combustion chambers to create the extra heat to burn off the DPF particles. If the DPF is too blocked then the extra fuel goes straight to the sump. Genius! So you have to keep checking the oil level and when it gets to a certain mark, it's off to the dealer for an expensive regen and clear the sump. As we all know, the DPF will only stand so many regens, so you're eventually looking at a new DPF – not cheap.

On the later 2.2 engines this was less of a problem due to a ceramic DPF needing less heat to burn off the particles, therefore less fuel needed, but thrown into the mix is a timing chain that likes to stretch to breaking point after 30,000 miles. Apparently it was a recall and a new, uprated chain fitted, but there are also reports of these failing so it didn't seem to fix the problem. I didn't look at issues further than 2012 and the SkyActiv engines because these were out of budget. It seems a shame because when running well, it's supposed to be a lovely smooth engine with buckets of torque. I really wanted a diesel having come from a remapped Superb 1.9TDi AWX, but there was no way I was going with the Mazda.

Anyway, all my research led me to the petrol TS2 tourer which I now own, and so far it's been an inspired buy. Loads of room in the boot, lovely sleek lines, bluetooth, multi-CD player in the dash so no fiddling in the boot for music, AUX socket so iPhone connects up. We only do about 8-9k a year so a Jap petrol engine was a no-brainer really, although as you can see from my Fuelly signature, it's a bit of a shock after the oil burner.

There are a couple of things about it that annoy me, like the window disable button to stop the kids messing about with them in the back, actually disables all the windows so you have to enable again to put the driver window down. On the Superb it just disabled the rear windows. And when you lock the doors from the inside, you have to unlock them again before the driver's handle works to open the door. Minor irritations though and maybe if I read the manual properly I can work it out. Also, the trip computer isn't as intuative to use as the Superb. You have to scroll through options and select to display rather than just scroll through, and you can't have the clock showing at the same time as fuel consumption or whatever, it's in the same menu. Like I say, minor irritations. It's comfortable, drives well, is a joy on bendy A roads compared with the Superb, and has enough poke to keep me happy, although the remapped AWX was fantastic on motorways.

One last thing, it doesn't come with a spare wheel, just a can of useless gunk, so I bought a spare off ebay. Here's my thread on Mazda6OC.co.uk

http://www.mazda6oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4195

There's quite a bit of good advice on there but it's a very slow forum. Google 'Mazda 6 diesel problems' and watch a whole world of pain open up :rain:

And here's my thread when I bought the 6 in February:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/344459-ive-turned-japanese/

Good luck :thumbup:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Sooo.... mazda 6 lift back diesel is on my shortlist of potential replacements for my car.. hunting a budget puts me at about 2010-2011 at the moment.

i didnt like the gen 2 shape when it was released but it has really grown on me!

Its the engine problems are scaring the crappers out of me... but theres not much else in that age / price bracket im interested in.. mk2 octys are either mega milers and the list of inherent problems or low miles and stupid prices.

Quandry :( have mazda done anythung regardung the engine issues or how does ine soot a ootential bag of spanners???

Sooo.... mazda 6 lift back diesel is on my shortlist of potential replacements for my car.. hunting a budget puts me at about 2010-2011 at the moment.

i didnt like the gen 2 shape when it was released but it has really grown on me!

Its the engine problems are scaring the crappers out of me... but theres not much else in that age / price bracket im interested in.. mk2 octys are either mega milers and the list of inherent problems or low miles and stupid prices.

Quandry :( have mazda done anythung regardung the engine issues or how does ine soot a ootential bag of spanners???

Issues are still the same. With the gen 2 just make sure the injector seals have been changed at 75k service or make sure they get done at that service. Regular oil changes and decent drives should keep the oil pickup at bay but you could always have the sump taken off and checked every once in a while. And count on a timing belt change, they stretch regardless and don't believe people who say they've changed their design, they haven't! It will cost about £600 or atleast it did me. Mazda will give a good will contribution if it has full Mazda history and under 5 years old. Other than that, it's a decent car to drive, drives better than a Octavia and just as much room. But a octy will probably cost less to own. Swings and roundabouts.

Cheers :) i spose ultimately any car can turn out to be a bag o problems, i just dont really feel like investing my hard earned (plus any loan i may need to make up the gap inc interest on said loan) in something which has a legacy of being costly to run or is highly probable to fail on me. I know my current car is far from perfect, but in 4 yrs it has not once left me stranded stuck or massively out of pocket beyond niggles and service costs..

Cheers :) i spose ultimately any car can turn out to be a bag o problems, i just dont really feel like investing my hard earned (plus any loan i may need to make up the gap inc interest on said loan) in something which has a legacy of being costly to run or is highly probable to fail on me. I know my current car is far from perfect, but in 4 yrs it has not once left me stranded stuck or massively out of pocket beyond niggles and service costs..

In two years mine cost me £200 for the roof to be resprayed as I didn't check it when I bought it and there were several stone chips with 'spiders legs' of rust forming and then the timing chain. No other issues, it was very quick for being only the 163bph and fairly decent on fuel (43mpg average over 20,000 real world miles mixed) considering the town and twisty roads.

Make sure to give it a good check over you don't want one that's been thrashed within an inch of its life and equally, I wouldn't want one that's just pottered about doing short trips.

I don't think I can realistically say I'd stay clear of them anymore as I had an itch for a Citroen with hydraulic suspension so I've recently bought a 57 plate Citroen C5 estate, I think I'm a glutton for punishment! I've already had to replace the rear calliper, disc and pads and a rear radius bearing. There's several other faults that need sorted but I'm loving tinkering with it at the moment.

• Like 1

From 2012 Mazda6 has got engine made differently... SkyActive

Both petrol (SkyActive-G) and diesel (SkyActive-D) got high compression 14:1 (usually diesel engine got arround 18:1)

Petrol engine has no issue. Diesel had one on erly begining... They used incorrect material to make camshaft... to soft. Mazda Motor Corp. is repairing them when owners come to dealer. After that no issue at all.

US petrol engine are different because they use lower octan fuel and engine compression is 13:1

One problem with Mazda6... If you buy it with navi... you can forgot about map updates... That's a big problem. Owners got maps more than 1 year old (last update)

Edited by 67igor1