What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

The quick shifter I'd never used before and just thought it was some trick software in modern motorbikes. You can just pin the throttle and snick it up through the gears without easing off. The gear changes are slick and effortless. It's a bit like using the paddles on the DSG gearbox but quicker. I thought I was just awesome with the up shifts but unfortunately it's down to a little box of electronic wizardry.

A quick look through the instructions for the quick shifter you can customise the settings by individual gears and rev ranges all done on your phone via a Bluetooth connection. I've a lot to learn about this bike yet.

I love the quickshifter on my BMW and it's most frustrating that the bike can shift more smoothly than I can. It doesn't sound to be quite as sophisticated as the KTM one, as it's not adjustable to suit riding style but it's easy enough to adjust riding style to suit the shifter.

Does the KTM one do down as well as up? The auto-blip on the downshift on the boxer is intoxicating, and I find myself going up and down through the box simply to hear the crackling of the exhaust

I've had pinlock for years and only recently discovered that the "things" on the visor are eccentrics, so you can adjust them with a small screwdriver to the get the perfect fit between anti-fog insert and visor

Oo I'll need to have a look at that....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gyp, I don't think it does and not sure if it's part of the settings. Unfortunately I celebrated a neighbours 50th a little to hard last night so trying to do anything that involves thinking is hard work today.

It's the Healtech QRS quick shifter that's fitted and a little search on YouTube brings up this review for anyone interested

https://youtu.be/w_eQUhE4dEo

• Like 1

All I managed to do today is reassemble my helmet after a full strip and clean yesterday. It didn't look that bad but after Friday's sweat fest, pushing the old bike to the petrol station, I thought it was long overdue. Good God, it was actually filthy. The dirt in the water was quite shocking and that was just from the shell and cheek pads. The covering and lining were put in the washing machine, I could only imagine the game that came out of them.

The helmet now not only smells great but feels like a new one without the bedding in phase. If you haven't cleaned yours for a while then give it a proper clean as those sprays the sell for cleaning them just don't do a good enough job.

Edited by CWARD

All I managed to do today is reassemble my helmet after a full strip and clean yesterday. It didn't look that bad but after Friday's sweat fest, pushing the old bike to the petrol station, I thought it was long overdue. Good God, it was actually filthy. The dirt in the water was quite shocking and that was just from the shell and cheek pads. The covering and lining were put in the washing machine, I could only imagine the game that came out of them.

The helmet now not only smells great but feels like a new one without the bedding in phase. If you haven't cleaned yours for a while then give it a proper clean as those sprays the sell for cleaning them just don't do a good enough job.

The missus is out tonight so it may be the opportunity I need to give the helmet a good old scrub; get it nice and shiny.

• Like 1

Been busy installing the GPS mount and power for the Garmin Zumo using a SW Motech mount. Nice bit of kit but a pain to fit, at least I only need do it once. The cradle and power adds a USB charger to the bike too which saves me having to fit one.

Also started with the intercoms. I went with the Cardo Scala Packtalk. Things have moved on a lot since I had a Starcom1 intercom system which was all wired into the bike and cables to the helmets. Now it's just a bluetooth module with built in FM radio that attaches to the side of the helmet and connects to pillion, phone, music player and Sat Nav all at once, no wires and full duplex. I can connect up to other another rider with intercoms without the need for walkie talkie radios to a distance of one mile and up to 8 riders in total which extends the range to 3 miles as they act as a network bouncing the signal further.  Sounds a bit pointless but if you've ridden in large groups before it's great to be able to communicate with the others from someone ahead letting you know the road is clear to do overtakes in areas you wouldn't normally to where the next cake stop is. It's quite expensive just over £300 for the dual kit but I paid a lot more for the old wired intercom that had no where near the function or convenience of this one.

I say started on installing it as it has only been fitted to my wifes new helmet. She went for a Schuberth S2 which she picked up in the sales at Helmet City with big discounts after trying one on for fit at the store. I'd forgotten just how good they are being very well built, comfortable and quiet too, so impressed that I splashed on one for myself and ordered the S2 Sport version which should be here today. It will then be fitted with the intercoms. Schuberth do their own intercom built into the collar of the helmet but the cost of one is the same as my dual pack and it's basically a lesser version of what I have now manufacturer by Cardo. It is a very neat solution though. 

Anyone looking for a new helmet with an Arai shaped head have a look at the clearance Schuberth's at Helmet City there are some big savings on the S2, S2 Sports, evening bigger discounts on the SR1 but not so much on the C3 and C3 pro's.

At a latter date I'll install another cradle for the intercom on my Arai Tour-X 4 so I can just swap the module over between helmets when needed.

• Like 1

Crikey.......great deals on the Schuberths. Good move.

Made my own good move this week. Waiting for delivery of my impending F700gs, BMW quoted me £781 for two vario panniers and a raised screen. The BMW Motorrad site undercuts this by circa £150 if substituting a Givi screen for the BMW original.

A bit of searching.......found myself original panniers and screen (as good as new) for £250. Bargain. BMW agreed to code my new bike key to the panniers for free too. Well chuffed but still waiting for my bike!

The Schuberth's are too good a deal not to share (after I got my size and colour :) ). Helmets are next day delivery and you're able to return them too if unworn which a lot of sellers don't allow.

What's the delivery date for the GS. I'm sure you have a mental note to the days, hours and seconds left until then.

I'm still trying to figure out where the panniers will be kept in the garage when not in use, at 42 and 31 litres they are quite big. I need a garage de-clutter to make some space.

Never tried a Schuberth but I always have trouble finding something to fit my weird shaped bonce. Ended up with a Caberg which I know isn't the best but at least if is comfortable to wear for hours.  Must get to a stockist and try them for fit though.  Of course the other constant unknown when buying a new helmet is what is it like for noise because none of us are built the same or sit the same on the bike.

I am always dubious about buying a helmet on line but I know Sports Bike Shop do the free postage and return adn it isn't that far from me so I could pop across there one day.  I am sure I know somewhere around there that do cake as well!

We went for a cheaper comms unit but it works OK for us and allows clear conversation between us up to quite reasonable speeds :no: .  Also the odd occasion I have had to answer the phone it has been crystal clear both ends while on the move as well.  Never listen to music well not unless it is the 3 into on with baffle removed sort anyway. :D

Caberg have never fitted me right, fine around the head but the chin guard is always too close as it's permanently touching. I tried a few helmets on over the weekend and was surprised that Shoei no longer fits even though the old Raid 2 in my garage is still a great fit. In fact it was surprising how many don't fit and I'm sure some makes have changed their head profile such as Shark which was one of my early helmets but now doesn't suit my head. Quite agree that you need to try before you buy, luckily around Leeds we have a few bike clothing shops and I will always ask the shop to match the online retailer.

Music is usually just for the longer trips and when the wife is on the back, it helps keep her distracted from the speedo. 

A couple of pics taken after I had washed the mud off it from the first days off road excursion :)

aLtHs6.jpg

rZ3Hbb.jpg

BuTvmK.jpg

ysCcFX.jpg

Thats properly stunning. Love it! 

Only one thing for it... go out and get it dirty again ;) haha. 

Screen is coming off for the shorter standard KTM one, I'm just awaiting for it to arrive with whole load of other goodies :) I can only assume the previous owner was either a giant and the turbulence from the top of the screen didn't catch his helmet like it does mine or was a dwarf who like to stay in the still air behind it. Either way it doesn't work for me and the standard screen does on someone else's bike.  

Don't worry it will be getting dirty again but first needs a covering of ACF50 whilst I've got it clean.

• Like 1

Screen is coming off for the shorter standard KTM one, I'm just awaiting for it to arrive with whole load of other goodies :) I can only assume the previous owner was either a giant and the turbulence from the top of the screen didn't catch his helmet like it does mine or was a dwarf who like to stay in the still air behind it. Either way it doesn't work for me and the standard screen does on someone else's bike.  

Don't worry it will be getting dirty again but first needs a covering of ACF50 whilst I've got it clean.

bet the screens good when you're on the motorway though? Or does it give you turbulence? 

That's were I noticed the turbulence the most. Fair enough I was wearing a Tour-X4 helmet that has a peak on it but I had just ridden my SM990 at triple figures which only had a tiny little screen on the front and I didn't get the same buffeting on my head unless I looking over my shoulder. The top of the screen is also in my eye line which I find distracting too regardless of what height it is set at. 

• Like 1

Very nice bike, particularly in that colour.

Looks like you could rent the panniers out as living space too. Lovely job.

Nice looking apart from the spokes!  I cannot even begin to think how much I would hate cleaning spokes.  Having said that I am renowned for not cleaning the alloys either.

• Like 1

No more difficult than alloys as most of the dirt just rinses off and no nooks and crannies to dig out either. I need to check they're true yet but no wheel wobble so if they aren't it will only be slight.

• Like 1

I got my S2 from Helemt city last year and their customer service was excellent. I had the free Hornee jeans with mine and they changed them by return of post without any problems at all and the lady I spoke to knew the product so well she was able to advise on the fit differences between the styles and which size would be best for me too. I'd use them again without hesitation

As I haven't been out on the bike for 3 weeks I decided to go for a ride this evening as it's nice and dry.

The first 10 miles was great, and then after that it went down hill. A young lad in a corsa and a chav hat decided it would be sensible to overtake me in possibly the worst place I could explain, with cars coming towards us and on a narrow road. If I wasn't as observant as I am then it could have ended extremely badly. I dropped well back as he was driving like an absolute lunatic and I wanted to give him as much space as possible. When the road then cleared up and widened I dropped down a few gears and pulled out to make an overtake, i stayed back so that he had seen me and then he decided to pull into the middle of the road to prevent me from going around him. The whole time I could seen him looking in his mirrors to purposely block my move.

I'm a cool headed rider and I always ride with caution, I decided to drop off and then at the next island took a different turning. In reflection I wish I had been able to get him number plate and report him to the police. I also hope this prat doesn't repeat this move to someone with a worse outcome. I physically cannot believe what must have been going through his head.

Shocking

As I haven't been out on the bike for 3 weeks I decided to go for a ride this evening as it's nice and dry.

The first 10 miles was great, and then after that it went down hill. A young lad in a corsa and a chav hat decided it would be sensible to overtake me in possibly the worst place I could explain, with cars coming towards us and on a narrow road. If I wasn't as observant as I am then it could have ended extremely badly. I dropped well back as he was driving like an absolute lunatic and I wanted to give him as much space as possible. When the road then cleared up and widened I dropped down a few gears and pulled out to make an overtake, i stayed back so that he had seen me and then he decided to pull into the middle of the road to prevent me from going around him. The whole time I could seen him looking in his mirrors to purposely block my move.

I'm a cool headed rider and I always ride with caution, I decided to drop off and then at the next island took a different turning. In reflection I wish I had been able to get him number plate and report him to the police. I also hope this prat doesn't repeat this move to someone with a worse outcome. I physically cannot believe what must have been going through his head.

Shocking

Good on you. That's the best way to deal with situations like you described.

It maximises your safety and actually makes you feel better.

Good on you. That's the best way to deal with situations like you described.

It maximises your safety and actually makes you feel better.

It made me so angry to think someone could drive so recklessly to put my life at risk for no clear reason. On a bike you've really got to stay calm, I'm not prepared to risk my life for a brainless chav.

• Like 2