What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

Ouch!

Poor guy

Anybody got any idea why the merc was how it was?

Your Merc... Texting, on the phone, trying to find that Werthers that dropped down the side of the seat, drunk, etc etc....

Your Merc... Texting, on the phone, trying to find that Werthers that dropped down the side of the seat, drunk, etc etc....

Idiots arent they?

I meant the merc your mate crashed into. I guess he must have been doinh a 3 point turn on the exit of a bend? Urgh!

Since it's been around 22 Deg C all week here and last week, been enjoying the bike very much. Today was my first commute of the year on it, not something I tend to do as the bike is more my own free time toy than a work tool, but was great for a change :) 

I've been unfaithful and not only had naughty thoughts about other bikes but arranged a threesome tomorrow with a KTM 1190 Adventure and a Honda Crosstourer. I already know which I'll be paying for but the Honda has DCT and I'm always up for something new

• Like 1

I've been unfaithful and not only had naughty thoughts about other bikes but arranged a threesome tomorrow with a KTM 1190 Adventure and a Honda Crosstourer. I already know which I'll be paying for but the Honda has DCT and I'm always up for something new

The big twin on the KTM should be good fun!

Ive always been curious about the DCT but ive never ridden one.

Be good to hear your thoughts on both (:

This has been a fun day. I wouldn't have thought it would have been so difficult to choose between the two bikes. First out on the KTM 1190 Adventure but unfortunately who every rode it before must have had some very odd body proportions as the bars, pegs and seat were very uncomfy. Called in at home and got the spanners out and set up how I wanted and it was the like bike was built for me. The engine is a peach, masses of torque and power yet smooth too which was a surprise as I ride an SM990 with a smaller version of the engine. The traction control and ABS are something else. I ridden bikes with it before but this has some lean sensors that work some kind of voodoo magic. I could literally enter a roundabout way too fast and whilst banked over hit the brakes and the bike doesn't stand up wanting to high side you but holds it line and scrubs speed off before allowing you to get back on the gas again. I was grinning like a maniac, whilst it doesn't feel balls out mental like my SM it so smooth and composed that you are riding faster anyway. Not all roses though as it had a high speed wobble which was a bit unnerving. Not sure if it was down to the top box that had been secured properly or the aftermarket screen. I ended up taking a second test ride on it later in the day and refitted the top box and lowered the screen and no wobbles.

The Honda Crosstourer I thought was going to be dull in comparison with it's shaft drive and the way that Honda tend to be good but a bit dull. It was great in main due to the VFR engine which has been tuned for more torque. It's almost electric in its smoothness up to V4 rush to the redline with a sweet exhaust note. The ergonomics were perfect and its a bike you could ride all day and still feel fresh. Whilst the suspension was good it wasn't a match for the KTM so you found yourself been knocked off line by poor roads surfaces. If I was to tour Europe on just main roads this would be my choice it's such a brilliant touring bike. As it is the KTM is more suited to my needs and has that special something that few bikes have. It did take a second test ride of the KTM due to the Crosstourer being so good.

The DCT gearbox is something else. To begin with I found myself confused grabbing for the clutch lever that is there and flapping my left foot around to no avail. This all ended within just a couple of miles it took me to get out of town. It was then all smooth sailing, and I do mean smooth. Setting off from a standing start and it's very quick, in sport mode even faster. Slow speed was fine too just drag the rear brake and I could ride at a slow walking pace. It shift up to 2nd sometimes at these walking speeds but manually putting it into 1st again and you had full control again. It made the VAG DSG gearbox seem clunky. I can see the standard gearbox becoming obsolete as more people try these.

• Like 1

Well very pleased that the belt drive appears ok even on the shortish journeys I have done. It will be good to get some decent mileage trips done.

• Like 1

This has been a fun day. I wouldn't have thought it would have been so difficult to choose between the two bikes. First out on the KTM 1190 Adventure but unfortunately who every rode it before must have had some very odd body proportions as the bars, pegs and seat were very uncomfy. Called in at home and got the spanners out and set up how I wanted and it was the like bike was built for me. The engine is a peach, masses of torque and power yet smooth too which was a surprise as I ride an SM990 with a smaller version of the engine. The traction control and ABS are something else. I ridden bikes with it before but this has some lean sensors that work some kind of voodoo magic. I could literally enter a roundabout way too fast and whilst banked over hit the brakes and the bike doesn't stand up wanting to high side you but holds it line and scrubs speed off before allowing you to get back on the gas again. I was grinning like a maniac, whilst it doesn't feel balls out mental like my SM it so smooth and composed that you are riding faster anyway. Not all roses though as it had a high speed wobble which was a bit unnerving. Not sure if it was down to the top box that had been secured properly or the aftermarket screen. I ended up taking a second test ride on it later in the day and refitted the top box and lowered the screen and no wobbles.

The Honda Crosstourer I thought was going to be dull in comparison with it's shaft drive and the way that Honda tend to be good but a bit dull. It was great in main due to the VFR engine which has been tuned for more torque. It's almost electric in its smoothness up to V4 rush to the redline with a sweet exhaust note. The ergonomics were perfect and its a bike you could ride all day and still feel fresh. Whilst the suspension was good it wasn't a match for the KTM so you found yourself been knocked off line by poor roads surfaces. If I was to tour Europe on just main roads this would be my choice it's such a brilliant touring bike. As it is the KTM is more suited to my needs and has that special something that few bikes have. It did take a second test ride of the KTM due to the Crosstourer being so good.

The DCT gearbox is something else. To begin with I found myself confused grabbing for the clutch lever that is there and flapping my left foot around to no avail. This all ended within just a couple of miles it took me to get out of town. It was then all smooth sailing, and I do mean smooth. Setting off from a standing start and it's very quick, in sport mode even faster. Slow speed was fine too just drag the rear brake and I could ride at a slow walking pace. It shift up to 2nd sometimes at these walking speeds but manually putting it into 1st again and you had full control again. It made the VAG DSG gearbox seem clunky. I can see the standard gearbox becoming obsolete as more people try these.

A good write up. Nice one! 

so. Have you placed an order for a KTM? ;) 

I think it was a good review as well but for me the main point was the one where you put..............

As it is the KTM is more suited to my needs and has that special something that few bikes have.

There isn't and never will be a one size fits all bike out there.  We have different needs and the way we use our bikes vary so much.  It is important to recognise that and not be sucked into any one bike is the be all and end all just because it has rave reviews from some.  Also interesting what you say about the high speed weave and the top box/screen.  I haven't noticed anything on the TEX but then I suppose that does depend on the definition of high speed.  I have the factory fit top box on mine and while it isn't that big it would affect stability as it acts like a great big sail but it is there because we need it for the way we ride.

Went for a quick blast on the Daytona yesterday and while it is fantastic to ride it will never be used for long journeys because it just isn't comfortable enough for my old bones.  Great to have a play for an hour but much more than that and it would become a pain literally.  So for my needs the TEX does all I ask of it and that includes fun but that doesn't mean I would want to ride it all the time and ignore the Daytona.

Never ridden a KTM perhaps I ought to try one they sound a right good laugh.

Never ridden a KTM perhaps I ought to try one they sound a right good laugh.

Go for it ;).

I can see myself testing the Superduke in a few years when i need to shift the Tuono on (i wanna get rid before 15k miles really)

Seems as Aprilia have gone V4 and KTM are the only ones to do a big vtwin now. Apart from Ducati, but im not having one of those with their stupid service prices.

Chris, on the second test ride of the KTM removed and refitted the top box and dropped the aftermarket Puig screen to its lowest and didn't get the wobble. Could be the top box wasn't fitted right or the aftermarket screen was causing turbulence. Speaking to others on the KTM forum they haven't experienced the same so confident it's one or combination of the above factors.

• Like 1

Chris, on the second test ride of the KTM removed and refitted the top box and dropped the aftermarket Puig screen to its lowest and didn't get the wobble. Could be the top box wasn't fitted right or the aftermarket screen was causing turbulence. Speaking to others on the KTM forum they haven't experienced the same so confident it's one or combination of the above factors.

Top boxes do funny things though.

Whip that off n itd be better again id bet (:

Probably would but as I know I'll spend a lot of time using it I needed to see how they handled with them on. I decided against test riding with the panniers in case I returned the bikes with a collection of car mirrors I'd picked up.

• Like 1

Fair shout mate! Best to keep it representative of how its going to be then!

Steady 180 odd miles on the Tuono today. What lovely weather for it! Needs a clean now though. Ready for its service on Tuesday.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Off to The Wave at Waddington this morning as it is cake day.  Today the TEX is the weapon of choice having been out on the Daytona twice this week already.  Plus I think the Tigger is more suitable for carrying the extra weight of the cake on the way back. :notme:

• Like 1

Indeed I have Oli so I had two! :D

Good run on the Tigger as well and I still love being out on it even though I have the Daytona.  They really are chalk and cheese but I guess that is the point of having two different types of bike.  Bit of everything today sedate riding and because the road across there is very bendy (Fubar will know it) between Wragby and Bardney it is great to have fun on even without doing stupid speeds.  I also let the old girl rev a bit in the gears but the speed comes up so quick you have to back it off in 3rd of 4th before it gets licence threatening.  So I tend to just use real hard acceleration but short shift between the gears and the noise is great to hear and the bike pulls like a demon on demon pills!

Great to be back out and now I am back it is back into the gardening at least I have had a playtime.

• Like 1

Glad youve enjoyed it!

Yeah its good to let them breathe. I dont think pootling all the time does them much good, they like to rev and have a clear out occassionally dont they.

Mine certainly gets that :D.