What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

Says the man who's one cylinder short of a full set !!!

Some might say a triple is niether one thing nor the other.....but makes a good cake lugger....

• Like 2

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/july/bmw-updates-entire-r1200-range/

Thats the thing that popped up for me, don't know if what you've seen is any different. Seems to be alot of gearbox changes in there. 

Nah i don't blame you for not changing mate! My dads not interested either but maybe when his is in for a service next and they get him to test ride one.. who knows. I think he'd go for something a little lower next time tbh anyway. He's a big bloke, but got bad knee's now and the GSA loaded up with gear and fuel isnt easy work even for him. He's about 6 foot, 6 foot 1, so relatively short compared to the Germans i guess haha.

Looks like the changes are just to get it through the euro4 emissions milarchy and trying to make the box a bit smoother though apart from the usual hammer bang into 1st mine seems fine Ollie. So I'm guessing it'll probably run leaner and have a more restrictive/quiet exhaust...back to the bad old days! If he's short what does that make me at 5'7! Answers on a postcard.....If he still likes the GSA there's a lowered version of that and also my girly version of the GS which is lower still and lighter without the gynormous 10000L fuel tank. Mines already got the black engine, gearbox and final drive-They've had issues with corrosion on the silver ones so fingers crossed the black is better.....

Looks like the changes are just to get it through the euro4 emissions milarchy and trying to make the box a bit smoother though apart from the usual hammer bang into 1st mine seems fine Ollie. So I'm guessing it'll probably run leaner and have a more restrictive/quiet exhaust...back to the bad old days! If he's short what does that make me at 5'7! Answers on a postcard.....If he still likes the GSA there's a lowered version of that and also my girly version of the GS which is lower still and lighter without the gynormous 10000L fuel tank. Mines already got the black engine, gearbox and final drive-They've had issues with corrosion on the silver ones so fingers crossed the black is better.....

It seems to be getting tough this time round doesn't it. Saying goodbye to the CBR600RR aswel. I guess theres only so much you can do to make a naturally aspirated petrol run clean though,... we might have smaller engines and turbo's soon, just like the cars. 

ahaa. i'm not tall mate.. I'm about 5 foot 9 and i struggle on his GSA. He's taller than me but compared to Germans he's short maybe. Have you seen them? the seat in a German hatchback goes that far back i cant even touch the pedals.. put me in a french car n he's usually got it all the way back or a good way towards the back. They must just be tall people.. a gene i didnt get either :D :D. 

I think he's tempted for the 1200RT if he moves on from the GSA. His has got the ESA which apparently makes a difference but i guess it'll always be top heavy with a fuel tank like that, and all the gear on top too. 

Edited by fabiamk2SE

TBH the RT would make a lot of sense as I remember you saying he does long rides and it's apparently super comfy though he might miss the GS experience. I could even go there myself one day plus you get a free pair of slippers, a pipe and flat cap too.... for me the GS is quite managable for such a big bike solo, but my problems start when SWMBO gets on board as the pillion seat is higher up. Even fully loaded the GS isn't really a problem until you get into slow speed stuff like filtering 2 up in busy traffic when I have to be concentrating all the time and for an oldie like me it's quite knackering!

Mines got esa too. I like it alot...just hope it don't go south outside the warenty

Edited by littleade

TBH the RT would make a lot of sense as I remember you saying he does long rides and it's apparently super comfy though he might miss the GS experience. I could even go there myself one day plus you get a free pair of slippers, a pipe and flat cap too.... for me the GS is quite managable for such a big bike solo, but my problems start when SWMBO gets on board as the pillion seat is higher up. Even fully loaded the GS isn't really a problem until you get into slow speed stuff like filtering 2 up in busy traffic when I have to be concentrating all the time and for an oldie like me it's quite knackering!

Mines got esa too. I like it alot...just hope it don't go south outside the warenty

yeah really long mate. 1000 mile days and then he'll be disappointed that he's reached home n he's got to stop :D. The RT does look a great bike.. i can see the appeal.. but would it have the road presence and visibility of the GS do you think? Yeah defo slippers n pipe kinda bike though :D :D. 

yeah i know what you mean there! i've been on the back of the GSA and i feel like im sat ontop of a car at that height (i dont really make a good pillion tbh. I'm always thinking about what i'd be doing differently.. whether im right or wrong :D) its abit un-nerving almost i thought, good job im not scared of heights :D :D. Does your mrs like it on the back? Does she ride herself? 

Yes i know what you mean there! It is a concern of my dads too... he's out of warranty now so hoping its all good. I think he said theres a kit which gets rid of it though, as a cheaper alternative to fixing it, if it becomes a problem? 

ESA is cool though. Selecting whether theres one helmet or two helmets onboard was quite ironic i thought! haha :D

Considering 'most' beemers only have two I find your logic flawed!  Three is an odd number.  I 'do' odd!!!

I never had you down as odd , thought you were a good bloke when I met you. Apart from your failure to sniff out cake on the last meet !!

• Like 1

Ah cake!  Now there is a thing.  On the bike night in Louth I walked down and met up with some of the RATS.  Took them to my fave cafe in town where cake was consumed.  Jane and I just happened to be in there the other day and the lady who runs it informed me there was carrot cake today and if we called in we could have tea and cake on the house for swelling their numbers on what was a very wet and quite night for them when I invaded with the RATS.  So not only cake today but FREE cake. :D :clap:

Ah cake! Now there is a thing. On the bike night in Louth I walked down and met up with some of the RATS. Took them to my fave cafe in town where cake was consumed. Jane and I just happened to be in there the other day and the lady who runs it informed me there was carrot cake today and if we called in we could have tea and cake on the house for swelling their numbers on what was a very wet and quite night for them when I invaded with the RATS. So not only cake today but FREE cake. :D :clap:

Thats great!

I bet it tastes even better when its free doesnt it?

Well it rained about 20 minutes ago but the sun is out now and the BBC say it is going to stay out!  Not that I would trust them anyway.  So I may have to nip out on one or t'other but no cake as I have had a huge slice of carrot cake already.

yeah really long mate. 1000 mile days and then he'll be disappointed that he's reached home n he's got to stop :D. The RT does look a great bike.. i can see the appeal.. but would it have the road presence and visibility of the GS do you think? Yeah defo slippers n pipe kinda bike though :D :D. 

yeah i know what you mean there! i've been on the back of the GSA and i feel like im sat ontop of a car at that height (i dont really make a good pillion tbh. I'm always thinking about what i'd be doing differently.. whether im right or wrong :D) its abit un-nerving almost i thought, good job im not scared of heights :D :D. Does your mrs like it on the back? Does she ride herself? 

Yes i know what you mean there! It is a concern of my dads too... he's out of warranty now so hoping its all good. I think he said theres a kit which gets rid of it though, as a cheaper alternative to fixing it, if it becomes a problem? 

ESA is cool though. Selecting whether theres one helmet or two helmets onboard was quite ironic i thought! haha :D

Well....in answer to your essay :D

It does have a lot of presence as the fairing is so humungous, though just about every bike has a lower seat height than a GSA so visability wouldn't be so good I guess. My trouble is I'm a bit of a shorty weakling and SWMBO is heavier than me so this shifts the low speed balance of the bike quite a bit, especially with the panniers and box on. 

She tolerates it rather than enjoys it Ollie which is a shame...so you can imagine how much she enjoyed the 6 hour ride to Scotland in the cold, rain and wind at the beginning of May!  judging by her driving if she had ridden a bike I'd be a widower by now!

I think if my ESA goes bang if BMW fail to make a contribution (they class the shocks as consumables with a 30k mile life span) I'd be off to Revs racing in Halesowen to see what conversion they could do as apparently they do a top notch job on the Explorer-a bike I'd have had if I'd been strong/tall enough. One of the things with ESA is it's best to let it do the changes up from 1 helmet to 1 plus luggage or to 2 while you're off the bike to prevent straining the ESA motor trying to lift 20 odd stone if there's 2 of you onboard  :notme:

Edited by littleade

Took the wife shopping on the bike so she could get used to being a pillion again and I could get used to someone else on the back after years of going solo. Couple of buttons pressed on the bar controls and the suspension was set up for 2 up riding. Other than a bit of fork dive under heavy braking I wouldn't have noticed her on the back. I did notice her when I got back up after going around a roundabout a bit fast and up the slip road onto the motorway whilst I was following an R1. The R1 rider was a bit surprised to see me in his mirror behind him complete with pillion and full luggage, the joys of a quickshifter.

Even two up and small shipping containers clipped to the rear the bike it still managed 48mpg on the onboard computer which I was quite happy with. 

• Like 2

After letting the belt drive stretch its little bit it is now correctly adjusted for the last time in its life I have also stripped, cleaned and oiled the various parts of the throttle cables and carb linkage so that it returns once twisted open. Which it did not do the other day when it screamed a "bit". Well it was the first time in almost 15 years that had been done!

• Like 1

I rode mine.....what else is there to do?....apart from clean it :peek: 2 hours of mainly twisty stuff I'd not ridden before left me mentally drained but happy

That was after Kev dropped in to say hello, have a chin wag and have a look at some ACF50 and FS 365 to see which he might use on his very nice new bike :rock:

• Like 1

Oooh can this be classed as briski bikers meet ???

More of an OAP natter!

I feel the two sides need to combine! :D :D. 

Providing you give us law abiding old folk a head start and are prepared for frequent toilet stops