What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

To me Ollie from an relatively inexperienced associates view he went for a marginal overtake that wasn't really on if the requirements were to obey the highway code and not cause other drivers to react to that overtake (He had to brake to get back in and I think the car subsequently braked too as well as crossing the solid when he returned to his side) Traffic was fairly heavy on a main trunk road and when we got back to Kidder he'd already disappeared so guess he executed more on the way back though I didn't see any of those so can't say whether they were appropriate or not. My Observer is sound and everything he has pointed out so far in my ride reports has been correct :thumbup: roll on Sunday

Over taking on solid whites and making cars brake.

If i was you, id get him a leaflet for the local IAM course to brush up his skills.

Oh wait...

• Like 2

Nothing done to the bike but fitted a Torc ground anchor. I've been meaning to get one installed for years but never got round to it. Finally ordered one and installed it last night. The kit comes with resin capsules for the bolts which work extremely well but require a bit more prep work, only down side the glass capsule breaks easily and not designed for people like me who managed to drop one getting it out of the packaging so had to make an emergency trip to Screwfix for some replacements. I'll probably upgrade the chain and lock too when funds are available.

Our local ones suggest you make a contribution to the fuel but don't insist.  I agree about them being quite a social bunch and in fact the mate of mine who assesses with them did a run out for associates this Sunday just gone.

Like I said there will be very good instructors and some not so good.  When I was instructing for the BMF one of my fellow instructors had been out with an IAM group and one of them told him he needed to sharpen up his overtaking.  He promptly rode off to lead and presumably show him how it should be done and took out a wheelie bin with his offside pannier! :D:notme:

As long as you are happy with your instructor Ade that is what matters.  For me I would never be happy with anyone that took me to a Muckdonalds!

Guess that proved he was a rubbish rider then :D The IAM isn't perfect as many have pointed out in the past but they are going through a bit of a transformation with all the assessors required to go through a national accreditation process to become either a local or national assessor to hopefully provide a more even and structured approach. AFAIK the examiners are concerned most if not all are all either serving or ex traffic officers.

You forget Chris that I'm here in the industrial heartland of the country, not in some posh rural location so they all eat pies not cakes :peek:

Hey there is nowt wrong with pies lad!

Just to clarify here.  I am not suggesting there is anything wrong with the IAM be it cars or bikes.  I just have seen with my own eyes appalling riding from 'one' individual.  That does not infer that those standads are either normal or accepted.  I am sure you are well capable of making sure the instruction you are receiving is up to standard Ade. 

I would also like to stress that anyone considering taking further tuition should do so as it will be well wortwhile.  I think it is vital that if you do you have confidence in your instructor and that if you see them doing something they shouldn't it won't assist with that.  Thankfully it was not your instructor but it will be interesting to see if your instructor mentions the incident to the other rider and what response he gets.

• Like 1

Hey up Chris, I wasn't suggesting you were mate I was just putting my own thoughts on the differences between the 2 regimes.

My observer who was behind me on the way back congratulated me on spotting it in my ride report but he's cancelled next Sunday as he's had problems moving house so it'll be a bit longer before I see if anything is said though they were clearly very good mates so I doubt it (I gave a big thumbs down out to the LH side when he did it :D ).

I'm not sure what to make of him TBH as he was very helpful and clearly knew a lot but I'm glad I've got my observer who I get on with really well  ;) He had his IAM Observer high viz jacket on too during the ride back....ooops! If my observer brings it up I might just ask if he rides like that all the time or if that was a one off....back to practicing how it should be done...or at least trying  :angel:

Edited by littleade

Went to have a word with my local bike instructors today. Get on with them great and theyve had a 1050 Tiger for a few years and 70k miles so i wondered what he had to say about them. He couldn't recommend them enough!

Hes just got the 1200 TEX and i thought id have no chance cos my legs arent very long, but surprisingly even with the seat on the highest setting i had more of my foot on the floor than i do with the Tuono.

Not too bad for a short arse then!

Need to get me some test rides...

What's this Ollie, are you getting rid of the nutter machine?

The Explorer is a great bike, but top heavy at low speeds so make sure you are able to move it around for parking etc and you're big and strong enough to cope with it on slow speed maneuvers (I'm 5'7" and it's too big for me) It's well suited to ex coppers though  :D

What's this Ollie, are you getting rid of the nutter machine?

The Explorer is a great bike, but top heavy at low speeds so make sure you are able to move it around for parking etc and you're big and strong enough to cope with it on slow speed maneuvers (I'm 5'7" and it's too big for me) It's well suited to ex coppers though  :D

Yeah before long mate. For that reason really. It's awesome fun, but crap to go anywhere on and my licence is losing slip of my wallet, i can feel it. 

Yeah it did feel heavy compared. I'm not too fussed about actually being able to do it, i believe anything is easy enough with the right technique, It's just whether id enjoy it on our local bendy roads on a Sunday. It's a big bus isnt it :D

I think the 1050 Sport might be more my thing... but im just surprised i could reach the floor tbh :D. I really struggle on my dads GSA so i thought that would be similar tbh. 

Thing is to be boss of a TEX you 'have' to be able to consume massive quantities of cake!

I know you wasn't having a pop Ade.

To be fair the TEX is very top heavy and as you will have seen on their forum Ade a number of people have dropped them while doing slow manouveres.  I make no apologies for saying if you let the revs drop in such a movement and the bike drops that is down to you not the bike!  It is your bike, you know it is top heavy and yet you allow your concentration to drop to the level where you lose control.  We all make mistakes bur yesterday when Jane was on the back and I had to do a U ey with loose gravel on the junction my attention was very focussed and revs keep you safe. 

Next time we meet Oli I am quite happy for you to have a go on the TEX 'but' I don't want to ride the T! :D :D

• Like 1

Thing is to be boss of a TEX you 'have' to be able to consume massive quantities of cake!

To be fair the TEX is very top heavy and as you will have seen on their forum Ade a number of people have dropped them while doing slow manouveres.  I make no apologies for saying if you let the revs drop in such a movement and the bike drops that is down to you not the bike!  It is your bike, you know it is top heavy and yet you allow your concentration to drop to the level where you lose control.  We all make mistakes bur yesterday when Jane was on the back and I had to do a U ey with loose gravel on the junction my attention was very focussed and revs keep you safe. 

Next time we meet Oli I am quite happy for you to have a go on the TEX 'but' I don't want to ride the T! :D :D

I did notice it was heavy lifting it off the side stand, or alot heavier than the T atleast. 

It's only heavy if it goes off the centre of balance though isnt it. Keep it in the middle and itd be okay wouldn't it. I can imagine once it goes though, theres no stopping it, a stern stamp into the ground isnt going to bring that back up is it :D

Thats very generous of you mate! I dont as a rule ride or drive friends things though, just incase the worst happens. I'd rather get a test ride on some dealers demo bike where its a little better if things turn sour :D. Thanks though, very much appreciated! (thats the second time tonight i've been sensible. A mates just passed me the keys to his Porsche but i handed them back. I must be getting soft :D). 

Not at all Chris, more taking the p1ss out of myself for being small and not up to the job :peek: Anyone with enough experience shouldn't have any problems, but for a born againer like me especially 2 up it's all a bit to intimidating :(

Not at all Chris, more taking the p1ss out of myself for being small and not up to the job :peek: Anyone with enough experience shouldn't have any problems, but for a born againer like me especially 2 up it's all a bit to intimidating :(

You're probably just more sensible by admitting it than me :D. I perhaps get abit excited n think i'd like to give driving/riding anything a go. 

I still wanna have a go in a lorry but its probably best that doesn't happen either :D

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Thing is for me I won't let myself be intimidated.  OK sounds easy for a 6'2" 14 odd stone hairy ar$ed ex copper but most of us are capable of more than we may think.  For example in all the years I have been riding and with all the training I have had AND dished ou I am only just getting near to using the edge of my tyres. 

I am becoming more and more confident in my own abilities the more I ride at the tender age of 62 and I put that down to confdence built on steady progress made and realising that the tyres and bike capabilties far exceed mine!  

So as far as I am concerned we each do what 'we' are comfortable with and that is the only way it should be.  The important thing is we all do what we enjoy safely and come home each night.

Oh and as for being short.  May have mentioned this before but years ago there was a bloke in town where I worked at the time who could best be described as vertically challenged.  He bought a Kawasaki Z1300 and after that amCBX1000!  Having said that he didn't ride wit the other half on the back and full luggage!

• Like 2

Thing is for me I won't let myself be intimidated.  OK sounds easy for a 6'2" 14 odd stone hairy ar$ed ex copper but most of us are capable of more than we may think.  For example in all the years I have been riding and with all the training I have had AND dished ou I am only just getting near to using the edge of my tyres. 

I am becoming more and more confident in my own abilities the more I ride at the tender age of 62 and I put that down to confdence built on steady progress made and realising that the tyres and bike capabilties far exceed mine!  

So as far as I am concerned we each do what 'we' are comfortable with and that is the only way it should be.  The important thing is we all do what we enjoy safely and come home each night.

Oh and as for being short.  May have mentioned this before but years ago there was a bloke in town where I worked at the time who could best be described as vertically challenged.  He bought a Kawasaki Z1300 and after that amCBX1000!  Having said that he didn't ride wit the other half on the back and full luggage!

Never a truer word spoken mate! 

Going to the edge of the tyre isnt all its made up to be imo. I've been further over on the T than i ever had on anything but the tyres a fat 190 and i haven't had one of those before either. 

When all else fails, there is plenty of people who use track scrubs so it looks like they can do it, but infact cant :D

The TEX did look a lovely bike though and i sat on it thinking, this is what you want if euro trips are on the cards. Could just sit on that for hours.  If i was taller i think it would of suited me better though. Im sure i could do it,  but i do think it's a taller mans bike really and i might not be as comfortable on the slower stuff as i would be on the 1050. 

I think i've had my hunt for power anyway. Got that out of my system abit and realised that it doesnt make you faster as such as i only ride to what i can see anyway.. it just means that im not getting full throttle as much. And thrashing a small engine is more fun than tickling a big engine on the twisty stuff :)

Which is basically where I am with the Daytona. To use it's full potential on the road even though it is 10 years old is licence threatening.  It is more fun (for me) to ride the TED quickly and on the same ride bimble about.  Bimbling on the Daytona isn't fun and even though it ill do it that isn't it's purpose.

Which reminds me must tet it advertised but I am unsure whether to go the normal fleabay route or try gumtree.

Which is basically where I am with the Daytona. To use it's full potential on the road even though it is 10 years old is licence threatening. It is more fun (for me) to ride the TED quickly and on the same ride bimble about. Bimbling on the Daytona isn't fun and even though it ill do it that isn't it's purpose.

Which reminds me must tet it advertised but I am unsure whether to go the normal fleabay route or try gumtree.

Exactly the same here!

Gumtree is free but expect plenty of spam and timewasters i think. Autotrader was silly money and a waste of time when i sold the SV. I tend to just use ebay now, it costs about £40 but its got a massive amount of people viewing on there.

• Like 1

Theres me expecting a chunk of insurance money back if i get a Tiger as its 'sensible'.

Nope. Same price as the hooligan machine.

Dno how they work it out but these insurance companies are always winning!

I think a lot of motorbike insurance companies work on the value assuming it will be crashed or stolen at some point then discount for no claims and additional security My previous SM990 was heavily modified and absolutely bonkers. With all mods declared was half the insurance cost of the 1190 Adventure despite the later having loads of electronic wizardry to keep the wheels on the ground and going in the right direction. When queried it was down to the value of the bikes.  

I think a lot of motorbike insurance companies work on the value assuming it will be crashed or stolen at some point then discount for no claims and additional security My previous SM990 was heavily modified and absolutely bonkers. With all mods declared was half the insurance cost of the 1190 Adventure despite the later having loads of electronic wizardry to keep the wheels on the ground and going in the right direction. When queried it was down to the value of the bikes.

Ah okay. Makes sense i suppose. Just expected them to think crashing a Tuono was innevitable and a Tiger less so :D.

It is £2k more in value so it does make sense really.

The thought getting some money back was a good one though. Maybe next time :D.

The thought getting some money back was a good one though. Maybe next time  :D

Now thinking you'll get money back from an insurance company is just silly 

Premium will be 50% higher than the prilla as it'll get nicked by some hoodie wearing yoof

:D :D.

Thats alright. We'll get our local bobby to hunt it down. Should be able to catch up with a 50 on foot :D.

Went out for a ride today to check the bikecam out and do some more practicing. The Innovv worked fine today with the different micro SD card in and recorded the whole trip including a stop at Stratstone Wolverhampton to have a look at the HD's

https://youtu.be/MWkyz0yLLCQ

I spotted the other biker in my mirrors about a mile before and even though I was doing the legal limit it was clear he was determined to get past, so I just let him get on with it. Have a look at his overtake at about 1 minute in  :peek:  The white van coming in the opposite direction had to brake to avoid a head on. One of the most dangerous roads locally and it's easy to see why-there's a Biker cafe about 10 miles further on and it attracts the idiots from miles around and it wasn't even a Sunday morning!