Petrol Scout ?

Same as they don't offer the 184CR DSG 4x4 in L&K form in the UK either but that was the exact spec they showcased at Geneva, complete with Digital TV tuner.

Seems odd that they limit the models in the UK, but they always have done.

They do make RHD versions of the 1.8T "premium" with DSG for Australia and it is expected to account for about 60% of Scout orders.

Australian Scout range also offers base Manual 103tdi, and "premium" DSG 110tdi.

The Australian market is currently fixated with all things labelled SUV even when there is very little S(port) and/or U(tility) involved.

The Scout has more S and U than most but may struggle sales wise because it is not generally labelled or clearly identified as a SUV by the Aus public.

To give you some guide the big seller here is the Mazda CX5 and the newly released CX3.

The Yeti styling is a bit too quirky for big sales but those who have them are very happy with them.

The Octavia is considered the one of the best cars in its class by the motoring press but is not usually the first choice which is a pity as the Skoda range deserves better recognition here.

Edited by Gerrycan

Same as they don't offer the 184CR DSG 4x4 in L&K form in the UK either but that was the exact spec they showcased at Geneva, complete with Digital TV tuner.

You guys seem to have a limited selection of drivetrains. 

You dont get the petrol scout, 1,8tsi 4x4 or the 184bhp 4x4 diesel. Correct?

...Australian Scout range also offers base Manual 103tdi, and "premium" DSG 110tdi..

No, that's not correct.

The Australian Scout III range offers three variants;

Octavia Scout 4x4 110TDI Manual Only

Octavia Scout 4x4 Premium 132TSI DSG

Octavia Scout 4x4 Premium 135TDI DSG

The 103TDI Manual and Premium 110TDI DSG were the previous Scout II offerings.

So yes, there are RHD Petrol Scout IIIs made.

I don't think VAG wants to risk sales of Allroads and Alltracks to be hit by the Scout.

Personally I think they are in many cases a better choice than a full on SUV. Unless you do a lot of off-roading, they provide better and more economical motorway driving, handle better and usually are lower on CO2 emissions.

When we got our A6 Allroad, we did a direct comparison with a VW Toureg and I was surprised that SWMBO preferred the Audi and indeed it is much nicer inside and drives better. However, she has now said she would prefer an SUV to replace it as she wants a more elevated driving position for towing her horse trailer and a shorter car for easier manoeuvring with trailer attached.

I'd but a petrol Scout tomorrow if it was offered.  In the UK it's actually very difficult to get any estate car or SUV with four wheel drive and a petrol engine.  The Subaru Forrester and the Fiat Panda are the only examples that immediately spring to mind.  Does anyone know why this is?

• Like 1

I'd but a petrol Scout tomorrow if it was offered.  In the UK it's actually very difficult to get any estate car or SUV with four wheel drive and a petrol engine.  The Subaru Forrester and the Fiat Panda are the only examples that immediately spring to mind.  Does anyone know why this is?

Well it is a bit of a pointless combination....

Just to repeat Wet Kipper's question, why?  

I don't want a diesel, I don't do anything like the sort of mileage which would make a diesel cost effective. I live in an area which has hills and is prone to snow.  There is absolutely nothing "pointless" about a petrol-engined 4x4 from my point of view.  If my circumstances justified a second car that would almost certainly be a Panda 4x4 with the 825cc Twin Air engine although I wouldn't want one as my sole means of transport.

Edited by dave6376

And me .... I have a 1.8 now and would probably be in the market for another petrol in a couple of years time. Not interested in the diesel.

Another combination that is almost impossible to find is higher powered 4x4 diesel or petrol estates with manual gearboxes in the UK. The 184 4x4 Octavia Scout is DSG only, the Mk2 FL Superb 170 4x4 DSG only, the Mk3 184 Superb 4x4 DSG only, Petrol 4x4 Superb DSG only, Passat Alltrack, 190 & 240 bhp diesels DSG only, Golf Alltrack 184 DSG only Golf R estate DSG only etc.etc.

If I look at BMW, the higher power x-drive estates all have Auto boxes, Audi A4 and A6 Quattro's are the same.

I know I am unusual in wanting this combination, but surely there must be a niche market for people like me who hate auto boxes in general, and DSG gearboxes in particular but want more go in their vehicles and 4 wheel drive