Rear ARB for 4x4...GB feeler

There should only be one R32 front ARB, I've never heard Stuart mention a specific size and most other folk I know that have one just ordered an R32 front ARB.

Let us know what you find out as it will be useful for others.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There should only be one R32 front ARB' date=' I've never heard Stuart mention a specific size and most other folk I know that have one just ordered an R32 front ARB.

Let us know what you find out as it will be useful for others.[/quote']

I was offered 2 by my Skoda/VW Dealer also & plumped for the thicker one on the naive basis that the stiffer it is the better it is, not true I know but I was stood at the parts desk & had to make a quick decision

More research might also yield that steel grades are different therefore this would also have a bearing on the stiffness but thats another can of worms.

stuart

Interesting, I doubt it matters too much though, I doubt that Jabba scientifically matched their rear ARB to a particular front ARB they probably just made it as stiff as they could.

Interesting points raised - as the thicker one is actually cheaper it may be done to different materials. I still dont understand why the R32 would have two options for the front arb though. :confused: Maybe they used a different one for a different market; country wise I mean.

Ive also hit problems before when modifying the rigidity of shells and bracing/ARB's so thats why im being extra cautious now by asking the questions. I personally belive there CAN be a thing as too rigid ie unbalanced/unneutral handling characterists if the front and rear setup differ.

Does anyone know what the standard front and rear Octy 4x4 ARB's are in diameter?

Again, thanks for any help,

Lee

Still need a minimum of 5 people to retain the price.....so only 2 more people to go.

Can be ready in about 7 days.

There is no other rear ARB available for the 4x4...this is totally bespoke. Don't miss out on a great opportunity.

If you want in add your name to the list....you know it makes sense.:D

1) Lee

2) EddyH

3) Bengie

• 2 weeks later...
are there any othe 4x4 golf based cars that would benefit from this due to not having a suitable one available to them as standard?

Unfortunately all the other 4wd golf based cars are covered as the Octavia 4x4 is the only that has the spare wheel well in the way. If we didn't have the spare wheel well we could go for an R32 item or aftermarket one like Neuspeed.

how much is it in the way? would my friend Mr.Lump Hammer be of any assistance? :P

A hammer would do the job but it could well reduce the stiffness of the chassis enough to negate the benefit of the ARB. It's something I discused with Stuart who also discussed it with Jabba and I asked JBS too and the conclusion was that although it wouldn't require to much modification it wouldn't be a good idea to mess with the main structure of the car.

for this I need an r32 front one then? the thicker of the 2 offered?

And what is the price for this bespoke rear one? is it still £300?

Cheers

You don't need to uprate the front ARB but if you wanted to the thicker R32 item would be a good choice. Price is still around £300 AFAIK but Adrian will be able to confirm the price when we have 5 people interested.

EDITED: To add the list as it was getting left behind.

1) Lee

2) EddyH

3) Bengie

4)

Hello Henry,

Biggest performance related downfall of the 4x4 is the amount of roll in corners, particularly hard ones - forget the girlfriend and think of your new found love instead. ;) You cant get these off the shelf unfortunatley so this is quite an special arrangement.

Lee

well I shall keep a beady eye on this thread and make a decision some time soon, I can't say right now, not even picked the car up yet!

Go on, put your name down. I doubt the GB will happen this side of xmas anyway.

BTW are you going to the derbyshire meet this weekend?

would love to be going but am picking up the car on sunday:D don't think I will manage it as am picking it up from manchester not sure what time... Shooting on the saturday so can't go and get it then either, such a pity to miss the meet on the day I pick the car up!

I won't put my name down for now, if it goes ahead a month or so after christmas it might be a different proposition though. I'm afraid my first 'improvement' needs to be the stereo. Doesnt look like my old speakers from the focus are going to fit so need new ones and the headunit is going with the old car...

Does anyone know what the standard front and rear Octy 4x4 ARB's are in diameter?
Front is 19mm = PR number 0AR.

Rear is 13mm = PR number 0BL.

PR number = option code, a selection of which are listed on the vehicle data sticker.

I'm afraid my first 'improvement' needs to be the stereo. Doesnt look like my old speakers from the focus are going to fit so need new ones and the headunit is going with the old car...

What will you be doing with the old stereo Winx? because if you want to sell it I'd be interested :)

not straight away as I need to have some sounds until I get a new one as I have a few long journeys over christmas but after that then yes it will be available!

hope the inspection is going well, and look foreward to hearing the outcome:)