Smartlink Unlocking/Activation option

If you have a look at the thread running for mirror link in the fabia section you'll see that auto express are getting involved. Might be worth letting them know that there are issues on the octavias too

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

@Domhnall the MirrorLink and Smartlink issues could well be two different things. Also from very brief reading it looks like it's WhatCar that's getting involved.

Folks, can I get those of you that are affected by the Nav SD card issue to post on the thread I created.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

my mistake, last time I looked someone was getting photos taken. Either way it's all the same point, Skoda seem to have made a bit of a hash of the MIB 2 changes for MY16. Fabias with no update possible and a system (mirrorlink) that seems to work with only 1 phone, Octavias that tell you to contact your dealer for a licence form smart link but Skoda UK insisting it can't be done and now Amundsens with invalid nav data - oh and don't forget Skoda UK categorically stating the 6.5 inch screens woudl not be available in the UK causing some people to upgrade to Columbus and then finding that the bigger screens are coming to the UK. 

It's not their finest hour. 

• Like 1

I got my Octavia Scout yesterday.  

Initially the SatNav didn't work because it needed the new SD card.  The dealer got the card this morning, so now I have a working SatNav - but like so many here, I still don't have SmartLink although the dealer is pulling out all the stops to find an explanation or a code to activate it.

MirrorLink won't work because it is a sub-function of SmartLink.

I was looking forward to this as well...

Initially the SatNav didn't work because it needed the new SD card.  The dealer got the card this morning, so now I have a working SatNav - but like so many here, I still don't have SmartLink although the dealer is pulling out all the stops to find an explanation or a code to activate it.

Jock, do you have amundsden or columbus?

Are you expecting the Smartlink as you specced it and paid for it, or as a freebie?

I thought Smartlink was a chargeable option unless you specced Columbus?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It is. £150

• Like 1

I asked the same question to Skoda CZ, as the Skoda NO seems as confused as Skoda UK regarding SmartLink.  Here is their answer:

Dear Mr. Kristiansen

if you ordered 2016 Octavia with MIB 2 inside , you should have SmartLink implemented but only disabled. There should be an
grayed SmartLink option in menu of your infotainment. If it is there, the only thing to do is to purchase the activation key at
your nearest SKODA Auto dealership.

Thank you for your query.

With regards,

Ladislav Kučera
ŠKODA Auto Help Desk
Mobilní aplikace a infotainmenty
email: [email protected]
tel. 226 044 106

• Like 4

Jock, do you have amundsden or columbus?

Are you expecting the Smartlink as you specced it and paid for it, or as a freebie?

I have the Amundsen unit and I was expecting it as a freebie.

What I actually get may well be a different story!

• Like 1

Should be a gesture of goodwill for loosing the CD player ;)

Interestingly enough, during the handover, the salesman opened the glove compartment and said, "Here's the SD card slots and your CD."

On closer examination afterwards, the CD player is a blank!

Always good when you go into a sales room more knowledgeable than the sales men selling the product. When I was on a test drive in the vrs the sales man pressed the vrs button to show how the suspension "firms up"... Realised later than skoda don't do adaptive dampers on the Octavia...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

you expect it free because......??

Paid for options are not usually freebies

• Like 1

Even if all the hardware is present and correct, the licence for activation is presumably what costs. So can't see dealers handing out activation codes as a freebie, not when it is a paid option.

If it can be activated worth a code I expect they will charge you at least what those who have ordered as an option have paid.

It isn't needed to play music in place of the cd player that is now missing so not sure that is going to be an argument.

Still, stranger things have happened!

Edited by RobbySpurs

So do Android Auto, Carplay & Mirrorlink all require seperate activation key/licenses? Or does 1 work for all.

I think the licence is for Smart Link and it is that that allows the use of CarPlay etc. So presumably just the one but stand to be corrected.

JusT picked up my Octy 16my estate SE-L.

Same as others, smartlink tab on menu, but cones up with basically get a licence. I gave Android auto on my Z2 running 5.0.2 link to system via USB nothing. So yes, looks like you need smartlink activated to use android auto.

Bluetooth working, but as normal, volume level is low on music streamed.

AMUDSEN radio output fine for me, don't need a upgrade by the looks of it :-)

JusT picked up my Octy 16my estate SE-L.

Same as others, smartlink tab on menu, but cones up with basically get a licence. I gave Android auto on my Z2 running 5.0.2 link to system via USB nothing. So yes, looks like you need smartlink activated to use android auto.

Bluetooth working, but as normal, volume level is low on music streamed.

AMUDSEN radio output fine for me, don't need a upgrade by the looks of it :-)

Turn the volume up on your phone, when you are using bluetooth for audio.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Seems quite a few others somehow thought they would get it for free as well.

It is included with a Columbus, but is a paid option on all other MIB2 units that support it, as far as I am aware.

So, Skoda upgraded the MIB1 Bolero to a MIB2 Amundsen for free, and then get you all to stump up £150 for an activation code for Smartlink - Simply Clever :)

• Like 1

No. Not so jock. If you pay nothing you get sat Nav which it never had before. If you want your smartphone apps on screen too then you need to pay for that feature. The sat Nav is free and is an upgrade on no sat Nav.

I had an Amundsen+ in my Yeti - I had SatNav.  

I read the options and obviously assumed Mirrorlink was included in the package I ordered.  I also assumed I'd get a CD player capable of playing MP3 CDs.

Obviously I was wrong, however even the dealer is unsure because this is the first batch MY16 vehicles to arrive with them.

I think we will all find that more and more electronic type features will be installed at build but enabled via a code (and purchase) on delivery or later. It's cheaper to build cars like that.

We already get this with things like laptops, if you want to use the preinstalled word processing software, you have to pay for the pleasure....

• Like 1