Smartlink Unlocking/Activation option

That's possible but knowing the issues that people have with dealers I've take the cautious approach and asked the dealer to also spec smartgate (without mentioning the reason). I'd hate to get my car only to find there was a naming error on their system.

You're going to pay for a further extra? May be better to call SUK and get it double checked with them. Mention you're querying it because the price doesn't sound right.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

You're going to pay for a further extra? May be better to call SUK and get it double checked with them. Mention you're querying it because the price doesn't sound right.

I was undecided on whether or not to get smartgate at first but later figured I'd retro-fit it. I figured I might as well just get them to fit it at the factory and kill two birds with one stone.

Hi folks , I have been following the tread over the last few days , I also am VERY pleased with the Oct L&K Est . beautiful .. and great improvement on my Mk 2 model.

I also had difficulty connecting to "Smart link " , I viewed your earlier videos showing how it may be used, but then drew a blank when trying to mirror link to the  car system. again ....contact the dealer ..etc

Just phoned Preston service , very helpful but needs clarification , there may be a cost Mr ... I am grateful for the added information the forum has delivered ..

I am taking  the car to the service centre to morrow to Pay ...no doubt , but under duress, 

>>>>also have a rattle in or near the passenger door  any one else similar ? >

@clinicstb did you spec Smartlink as a paid option when you ordered? If not, would be good to know if your Dealer/Garage manages to activate it for you at a cost. Initially it seems the garages didn't have the knowledge/means to do this, but that may have changed now.

I have a rattle at the rear of the car too. Sounds like in the roof... Need to investigate further. If it is in the roof I may and up living with it rather than have the garage rip out the headlining and not put it back together properly.

Morning , further to my comment on the  Smart link ,   I did not get the chance to pre-order.

Unfortunately or more to the point Local Preston dealer , did an exceptional deal on a New Octavia almost at the price of a very VERY poor experience at a Stockport  dealership, reported same to S.Com Care. the end result was the next L&K DSG that was available was offered at no-brainer price.

Rattle  RB79 was the passenger seat adjustment , identified but not as yet completely eradicated :-)

However , I took the car to the Service centre , great service , the advice i received is that  . The Octavia"  Smartlink has NOT YET been made available other than factory fitted.  Told to enable needs a dongle fitted  cost £150.00 including labour 

Any other member been told the same ...   Has anyone had the smartlink fitted retro enabled . Scottbrown ?

No one has had SmartLink 'retro fitted' - it is just a licence code on the MIB2 units that support it (MY16 cars).

At this point in time it is not available for MIB1 units (pre MY16), and I doubt it ever will be to be honest.

@clinicstb - is your L&K a MY16 or a MY15.5?

SmartLink is standard if you spec an upgrade to Columbus, otherwise at this point in time it is a factory option only - dealers haven't (yet) been provided a mechanism to sell the activation licence code.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this would be of any help but whilst my car is in the shop I have a MY16 VRS with smartlink enabled as a loan car, I can take a VCDS scan if it could be of use, note this is an Australian Spec car if that makes any difference

Gadget007 I doubt it's as simple as copying something out of VCDS from one car to another.

Plus we have people on the forums that have Smartlink enabled from factory and have VCDS.

• Like 1

Spoke to my dealer (Beadles Maidstone) today about my Sept 1st Registered Yeti as I'd enquired about Smartlink retro-enabling earlier in the week. 'I've looked into it and that's no problem, hour max at a cost of £150. I'll book it into the workshop for you but it will have to be next month as they are flat out'. I double checked and he confirmed it.

I suspect I'll pitch up and find out an hour later that actually they can't do it yet...

• Like 2

Gadget007 I doubt it's as simple as copying something out of VCDS from one car to another.

Plus we have people on the forums that have Smartlink enabled from factory and have VCDS.

no problems, just thought it may be of use, as we have a similar thing here with the traffic notifications not being available and it is just a matter of adding the license code to enable.

>>>>also have a rattle in or near the passenger door any one else similar ? >

I've an L&K also and developed a rattle/buzz in the passenger door. Not sure if it's something rubbing or the speaker with a bad connection. Waiting on dealer to come back to me with a date to look at it. Did you get it sorted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the seat height adjustor. For some reason they rattle. Sounds like it comes from the door or B-pillar but it might not be. Don't know how to sort an elegant fix but a bit of foam stops them.

• Like 1

I'd like to chime in on this topic.

I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my (rallye green  :rock: ) Octavia RS TDI DSG, I hope to have next week. It actually arrived at my dealers last Friday but they didn't have the license plates yet and this week they are on holiday  :@

I should say I'm from Belgium, since as you will read further on that matters :)

When I ordered the octy back in June I completely forgot to include the smartlink option, by the time I realised this it was too late to change my order, so I anxiously started looking into the activation code thing, naturally I first asked my dealer if they could order it, as many others have reported they could not, and also did not have an indication about when they could.

So next step was to ask Skoda Belgium, which gave me basically the same answer.

Then as a final resolve I decided to contact Skoda HQ in Czech Republic ([email protected]), and a good week later (today) I finally got a repsonse which actually tells what the problem is:

thank you for your query. On markets and regions, where SmartLink yet was not activated, you can see the SmarLink as you see it
in your SKODA car. There is an activation license needed but it will be not purchasable until manufacturers of SmartLink -
Google and Apple companies, will approve the release of the technology in your region. The date is still unknown. It depends on
companies market policy. Stay tuned and follow www.skoda-auto.com , where informations will be released when the time comes.
Wish you a pleasant day.

This at least clears up some of the confusion, I know Android Auto is not yet released in Belgium, if I visit the google play store and try to download the Android Auto app, I get the message that the service is not available in my region.

But what if were an Apple user? According to Apple's website Carplay is available in Belgium...

Interpreting the answer from Skoda HQ tells me they will wait until both Apple Carplay and Android Auto are available before making the activation codes available for purchase. This is bad for both Apple and Android users, since it makes them both dependent on whether the other platform has yet been released in their country or not, regardless whether their own platform is released or not.

Just to know the full story, I'll reply to Skoda HQ and tell them I'm an Apple user, and Carplay is available in Belgium, perhaps they will come around and sell me an activation code. I can probably find the Android Auto APK (installer package) somewhere and install it on my phone regardless of whether it's released in Belgium or not :)

On the other hand I find it stange that you have the same problem in the UK, as both Apple Carplay and Android auto are available over there as far as I know. (could some of you double check by trying to install the Android Auto app?).

• Like 1

I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my (rallye green :rock: ) Octavia RS TDI DSG, I hope to have next week. It actually arrived at my dealers last Friday but they didn't have the license plates yet and this week they are on holiday :@

I should say I'm from Belgium, since as you will read further on that matters :)

When I ordered the octy back in June I completely forgot to include the smartlink option, by the time I realised this it was too late to change my order, so I anxiously started looking into the activation code thing, naturally I first asked my dealer if they could order it, as many others have reported they could not, and also did not have an indication about when they could.

Then as a final resolve I decided to contact Skoda HQ in Czech Republic ([email protected]), and a good week later (today) I finally got a repsonse which actually tells what the problem is:

This at least clears up some of the confusion, I know Android Auto is not yet released in Belgium, if I visit the google play store and try to download the Android Auto app, I get the message that the service is not available in my region.

But what if were an Apple user? According to Apple's website Carplay is available in Belgium...

Interpreting the answer from Skoda HQ tells me they will wait until both Apple Carplay and Android Auto are available before making the activation codes available for purchase. This is bad for both Apple and Android users, since it makes them both dependent on whether the other platform has yet been released in their country or not, regardless whether their own platform is released or not.

Just to know the full story, I'll reply to Skoda HQ and tell them I'm an Apple user, and Carplay is available in Belgium, perhaps they will come around and sell me an activation code. I can probably find the Android Auto APK (installer package) somewhere and install it on my phone regardless of whether it's released in Belgium or not :)

On the other hand I find it stange that you have the same problem in the UK, as both Apple Carplay and Android auto are available over there as far as I know. (could some of you double check by trying to install the Android Auto app?).

Could you install Android Auto by changing your device Lan/Lock (or is the Location taken from WIFI).

Had a play with the online configurator last night, and choosing Columbus wouldn't let you choose Smartlink... Will be interesting when the car arrives (whenever that is)

I opologise if this has already been covered. I've just picked up a Yeti 2.0 TDI Outdoor with the Bolero Infotainment system. Smartlink is in the display, but says it needs an activation key. I thought cars built after 25 May 15 had Smartlink installed. My question is do you get this as standard or do I have to pay for activation. Quoted £130 from dealer, they didn't even know the Bolero didn't have a CD player , they told me I needed a disk. I just got the feeling they were pulling a swift one as another salesman I spoke to thought that after 25 May Smartlink was installed and was activated free. There seems to be a lot of confusion and can't find a clear answer. If it matters I do not have navigation on the unit.

On another note where can I find the build date of my vehicle.

Thanks in advance, and sorry again if I'm covering old ground but new to the group.

Smartlink is a £150 factory option. If you ordered it Smartlink comes activated.

No one really knows if or when Smartlink can be activated at a later date but suggestion is that dealers will be able to on smartlink enabled systems but it will cost (use factory price as a guideline). Guess if yours shows it on your Bolero it might be possible in the future (and the fact the cd player is gone sounds like a MY16).

Think it is just a case of playing the waiting game but expect to pay for it when it is possible.

• Like 1

BCM &CAN Gateway spring to mind.

Seeing as Skoda dealers can't currently enable SmartLink on MIB2 units, the chances of them being able to swap a MIB1 for a MIB2, sort out component protection, license the unit and features to the chassis number etc. are pretty slim .......

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And now I'm chiming in from the Netherlands.

The person who answered you may be right, but then I wonder why the Fabias (with an Amundsen) delivered in the Netherlands have Smartlink enabled.

I'm eagerly awaiting delivery of my (rallye green  :rock: ) Octavia RS TDI DSG, I hope to have next week. It actually arrived at my dealers last Friday but they didn't have the license plates yet and this week they are on holiday  :@

But what if were an Apple user? According to Apple's website Carplay is available in Belgium...

Interpreting the answer from Skoda HQ tells me they will wait until both Apple Carplay and Android Auto are available before making the activation codes available for purchase. This is bad for both Apple and Android users, since it makes them both dependent on whether the other platform has yet been released in their country or not, regardless whether their own platform is released or not.