1.4 TSI Is it Powerful Enough

• 3 weeks later...

BMW 5 Series touring (92-97) 525i (6 Cyl):

0-60mph - 8.9 Seconds                 (Auto: 9.6 Seconds)

Economy: 27 mpg Combined       (Auto: 25 mpg)

Superb Estate (2015+) 1.4 ACT:

0-60mph - 8.4 Seconds                 (DSG Auto: 8.6 Seconds)

Economy: 55 mpg Combined       (DSG Auto: 55 mpg)

Times change, but if people thought the 5 series was a decent performer in the mid nineties, I'd say the Superb probably is ok.

• Like 1

Times do change.

525i is now badged 528i with a 2.0 litre 4 pot turbo producing 245bhp.

8 Speed Auto gives 0-62mph in 6.2 seconds and 46.2mpg combined.

Shows how technology advances.

Lee

• 4 weeks later...

I have ordered a 1.4 tsi ACT SEL-Exec, never driven one but read a lot of reviews and blogs about it. It has a similar power spec as the 150 diesel (which I did test drive)  the car drove well with plenty of power as you expect from the diesel and if the petrol dive anything like the diesel I will be a happy man (I know it will have less touque and the power will be delivered quite differently). Especially when you think the petrol will be quieter more refined and for myself I will not get the dreaded DPF issues I have been having with my current car. I do 20 mile per day averaging about 8-10k per year so it is difficult to justify the expense and the added risk. But as everyone else has said it depends on your driving. 

I would be interested to know if any one else has ordered the 1.4 tsi ACT and if they have had it delivered yet.

I checked all around the North west and couldn't find one to test drive in the end I took the plunge and hope it works out OK. It got to be better than my 1.5 dci Laguna.

• Like 1

You've ordered exactly what I'm leaning towards. Have you gone manual or dsg? All demonstrators and show room models I've seen so far are all diesel...

I managed to find a manual diesel, you have to be careful though a lot of the demos are the more powerful 190hp which might give you some false hope. Everyone I have spoken to (and that's a lot of people in the industry mainly sale s people) have said the 1.4 is a great car with plenty of power and considering its cheaper as well its a no brainer for me. 

• Like 1

Does anybody know if the 1.4 TSI (150ps) DSG box has launch control? Reading the manual:

"Launch control*:

The launch control function allows the vehicle in mode S or Tiptronic to reach

its maximum acceleration when starting off.

› Disable the TCS » page 143, Braking and stabilisation systems.

› START STOP deactivate » page 133, Manually deactivating/activating the

system.

› Fully depress and hold the brake pedal with your left foot.

› Fully depress the accelerator pedal with your right foot.

› Release the brake pedal.

The vehicle starts off with maximum acceleration.

› Reactivate the TCS and START STOP when the desired speed has been

reached.

*This function is only available for some engines."

I would be surprised if it has this feature and amazed at how or indeed whether it could be used in normal day to day operation. When I tested a 140 TDi DSG before I bought my manual petrol car, flooring the throttle from rest was enough to scare the **** out of me!!

Test drive a 150ACT this afternoon at Salisbury Westover Skoda as a SE L Exec with manual box. Probably out for half an hour all in on A Roads, urban and a short blast along the A303 including up hill drag out of Amesbury. Two up which would be normal and the engine easily felt up to the job. Certainly no surge of torque like a diesel but picked up speed nicely without need to rev the nuts and bolts off the engine. Had a play with adaptive cruise control which was useful. Maxidot shows when ACT cuts in and you can't tell the difference. Comes in when you lift and coast as well as at low speed, say 30 zone when your maintaining speed without asking for acceleration.

Impressed to the point of having ordered one in SE L Spec. I ended up going for a manual as that allowed me to splash some extra money on options to keep within my budget. Dealer helped me out a with a bit more off the deal on top of £2000 Skoda deposit contribution on a 42 PCP deal.

Only downside....

Current estimate for delivery is mid Jan. Late Christmas present :)

• Like 2

Leeboy, 

I have just order yesterday the SE-L 1.4 TSI 150 in the petrol blue. How good is your delivery date, I was being quoted 10 to 12 weeks yesterday which might get here just before christmas.

I couldn't test drive the TSI, but the performance in the book was the same as the book (so like for like) as the 2009, 170cr 1.9ltr Diesel Elegance that I have just sold. that was nippy when driven as it should be. The book fuel usage (I know risky with a VW designed car at the momment) is better than the book usage for the diesel, so I think we should be ok

Rufus

Nothing confirmed yet. Mid Jan is what the dealer expects and has given me a guaranteed trade in value on my current vehicle based on January next year. So could change either way.

Seeing your other thread which has gone down the adblue topic route, I've gone black alcantara like you too on basis that it does wear well from what I've seen in a VW with 55K miles on it, and it won't be freezing in the winter or too hit in direct summer sun. Couldn't stretch to ventilated leather especially as,you need to spec full front electric seats as well.

The demonstrator was alcantara beige which was certainly light and airy but for me was just too much like an old man's Jag interior. Nice though but not for me.

• Like 1

Does anybody know if the 1.4 TSI DSG comes with mode select even if you don't spec DCC? And what does this mode select actually do?

Driving Mode Selection​ allows you to adapt the car's behaviour to your preference or needs. Four driving modes are available: Normal, Sport, Eco and Individual (Individual allows you to configure your own settings). The car will then adapt the engine torque, accelerator sensitivity, power steering, headlight control (where Adaptive Frontlight System is fitted), DSG transmission, and air conditioning to suit the profile selected.

​Not sure if all models have it but... SE Business & up certainly do.

Edited by Didorx

Does anybody know if the 1.4 TSI DSG comes with mode select even if you don't spec DCC? And what does this mode select actually do?

If you go for the SEL exec you get it even without the adaptive suspension. it just cant effect the suspension settings that all, everything else it has an impact on.

If you go for the SEL exec you get it even without the adaptive suspension. it just cant effect the suspension settings that all, everything else it has an impact on.

Thanks, that makes sense.

Funnily, I'm very seriously considering a step up from my Fabia to this 1.4TSI 150PS in DSG guise... and perhaps the SEL Executive spec as a hatchback.

My mileage is too low for a diesel, and the Mk3 Fabia which I've had since May is incredibly nippy and roomy for it's size, but the sheer space and luxury of the interior in the Superb keeps drawing me towards a p/x upgrade!

One thing I am curious to know is how the superb handles speed bumps? The Fabia's slightly sportier suspension can make it quite firm over bumps which the wife hates! Would the Superb, in drive mode 'Comfort' (without DCC), really be a noticeably smoother experience over bumps?

Thanks, that makes sense.

Funnily, I'm very seriously considering a step up from my Fabia to this 1.4TSI 150PS in DSG guise... and perhaps the SEL Executive spec as a hatchback.

My mileage is too low for a diesel, and the Mk3 Fabia which I've had since May is incredibly nippy and roomy for it's size, but the sheer space and luxury of the interior in the Superb keeps drawing me towards a p/x upgrade!

One thing I am curious to know is how the superb handles speed bumps? The Fabia's slightly sportier suspension can make it quite firm over bumps which the wife hates! Would the Superb, in drive mode 'Comfort' (without DCC), really be a noticeably smoother experience over bumps?

The much longer wheelbase in the Superb will in itself lead to a much more comfortable ride and even out bumps with more ease.  IMO there would be no comparison between the Fabia and any Superb (new version or not) in terms of ride quality.  The mkII Superb handles bumps very well even with normal suspension and from the few Mk IIIs I've driven at this stage, there is a further improvement again (not massively but there is some) in how the car copes with uneven surfaces.  The new MQB platform certainly helps the Mk III.  Only exception is possibly on very low profile tyres i.e. 18s and 19s with a 40 profile, where you will get might more of a 'thump' when you hit a hole in the road.  However, even if you do go for the 18 inch wheels on the new Mk III, they will be 235/45/18 anyway so will be more comfortable than the lower profiles on the older model.  I Fabias can be quite fun to drive but the Superb really will in a different league to the Fabia in terms of refinement!

• Like 2

Fabias can be quite fun to drive but the Superb really will in a different league to the Fabia in terms of refinement!

Thanks for this, especially with your personal experience of both!

Now I guess I need to ensure the numbers work as the PCP for this Fabia is wonderfully affordable, but with the negative equity and the c.£30k car I've specced with SEL Exec, it's not going to be easy!

Does anybody have any experience of p/x'ing early (or within the first year), and do you regret it etc?

Edited by Dilz

`Dilz`, I'm considering doing the same thing as you (negative equity on my current PCP.)

The current offer (£2000.00 contribution and 2.9%) runs out tomorrow.

It'll be interesting to see what its replaced with...rather less favourable I suspect!

Oh really?! It expires tomorrow?

Well... If it's anything like our Fabia, it went from c.4% and £500 contribution to a 0%! So maybe it'll get better?

And to be honest... If it does get better... Apparently they let you switch to the better terms considering you'll be waiting to take delivery (or at least that's what Allams in Epsom told me!)