1.4 TSI Is it Powerful Enough

Hi Guys

I am thinking of getting myself a new Superb Estate company car. Thing is im not to sure what engine to go for petrol or diesel ?

I had a m3 Octavia 1.6 diesel( only had it for 6 months ) when they first came out and found it more than powerful enough for my needs, question is is the 1.4 petrol powerful enough for a car the size of the new Superb. 

Also i have read that as i am low mileage driver under 10000 per year a petrol would be a better choice for me rather than a diesel, the difference in BIK is not that important, i am more interested in a nice pleasurable drive.

Your opinions would be welcome guys.

Having had a succession of turbo diesels I was more than happy with the 1.4 petrol in the Octy 3. The 150bhp 1.4 ACT to be fitted to the Superb has good write ups in other VAG applications and given the performance figures I have no hesitation in going for it in DSG guise should I order a Superb

I've driven a couple of mk3 Leon's with the 1.4 ACT 150ps engine in and it felt quick enough, the new superb 1.4 TSI DSG is 100kg heavier at 1350kg, so it will feel more sluggish.

It might be worth taking a Leon for a test drive with some ballast (passengers) to give you an idea.

Well Honest John seemed pretty damn pleased with the 1.4 150PS ACT TSI estate.

Read his review here http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/skoda/skoda-superb-2015-estate-road-test//

I'm a low mileage user too but have an oil burner. It's not the mileage that counts but the type of journey you do. My car spends most days parked, but it does at least three trips a year to the continent and several 100+ mile trips, so the diesel works for me.

If your journeys are mostly short distance work then go for petrol.

Mind you, as I appear to have entered my second/third/fourth/whatever childhood I've gone on a power-trip with the 280PS petrol - so treat my advice as that of a fool.   :wall:

Well depending on the trim you want you may not have any option if you need petrol. It's only 1.4 until you get to SE L trim or above and then the next step up is 2.0 220PS. It's going to be a heavy car, no getting away from that. It depends on your expectations. 1.4 might be perfectly fine if you are not expecting much. I think only a test drive of one is really going to answer the question for your own requirements.

I've driven a couple of mk3 Leon's with the 1.4 ACT 150ps engine in and it felt quick enough, the new superb 1.4 TSI DSG is 100kg heavier at 1350kg, so it will feel more sluggish.

It might be worth taking a Leon for a test drive with some ballast (passengers) to give you an idea.

Hi Guys

I am thinking of getting myself a new Superb Estate company car. Thing is im not to sure what engine to go for petrol or diesel ?

I had a m3 Octavia 1.6 diesel( only had it for 6 months ) when they first came out and found it more than powerful enough for my needs, question is is the 1.4 petrol powerful enough for a car the size of the new Superb. 

Also i have read that as i am low mileage driver under 10000 per year a petrol would be a better choice for me rather than a diesel, the difference in BIK is not that important, i am more interested in a nice pleasurable drive.

Your opinions would be welcome guys.

The figures published on Skoda. uk  w/site  give  0-62 at  8.7 secs  for manual and  8.9 for DSG so it looks as though neither is sluggish. Emissions same for both at 120

Thanks for the replies, I4wrence think you be right, a test drive might be the best option for me will have to check with local dealer and see when they will have a demo available.

BillyJim the Honest John review was a help thanks.

Stokey do you prefer the petrol or diesel ?

Bogwoppit, i always forget about Seat being part of VAG group may give the Leon a test and see what its like.

Stokey do you prefer the petrol or diesel

I used to prefer turbo diesel but won't be going back. Modern petrols have closed the real world mpg gap ( My 208GTI does 0-62 in 6.8 sec but averages approx 43 mpg brim to brim) whilst diesels are being hampered by emissions technology. The 0-62 time of 8.9 sec for the 1.4 DSG is not sluggish and far better than the 1.6 diesel.

Edited by stokey

After two years with a Mk2 1.4TSi I believe the unit is more than adequate. The base S spec will be 125ps while the SE and SE L Executive (the 1.4TSi in either guise is not available on the SE Business) will be 150ps. The 150 apparently has cylinder shutdown for low load use around town which will use only two cylinders and then when more urgency is required, all four cylinders will be used.  

The 1.4TSi ACT engine specified for the Mk III has virtually the same power and torque figures as the 1.8TSi in the MkII SE Plus model. The Mark III is lighter too.

I have a MkII 1.8TSi SE Plus estate and I can assure everyone that it is plenty fast enough in real life and quite frightening if you really put your foot down!. The 0 to 60 time quoted above seems to confirm the 1.4 will be fine

Re.

Powerful enough for your needs.

What are your needs if buying a large car.

Driving solo most of the time and able to keep up with traffic in Scotland & the UK with NSL of 60 MPH & 70 MPH.

All cars can do that these days with more than 100 bhp. & 150 ps will do the job.

If you want to carry 4-5 adults and some luggage, they all do that as well if they have 5 seats for adults, 

& they might even be safe enough on 60 mph roads to do an overtake.

If you want and need a big car and to carry lots of weight then you are as well to get some engine with a bit more power than 150 ps.

• Like 1

A question on the Honest John website today was similar to this. HJ said that he would only recommend the diesel over the 1.4ACT if the owner wanted to tow a caravan.

The issue reminded me how much engine design has come on over the last 40 years or so. When I was just leaning to drive - 47 years ago (gulp!) - an executive car was usually powered by a straight six 3.0l engine producing something like 120BHP. Now we are seeing engines in the 1.0l to . 1.2l producing more power. That's incredible

Also if you ever see a Ford, Vauxhall, Humber or Austin executive car or the period, don't they look small!

• Like 1

Stokey do you prefer the petrol or diesel

I used to prefer turbo diesel but won't be going back. Modern petrols have closed the real world mpg gap ( My 208GTI does 0-62 in 6.8 sec but averages approx 43 mpg brim to brim) whilst diesels are being hampered by emissions technology. The 0-62 time of 8.9 sec for the 1.4 DSG is not sluggish and far better than the 1.6 diesel.

This helps a lot, someone who ran a diesel switched to petrol and wont go back. Good to know.

Edited by Stuart C

The 1.4TSi ACT engine specified for the Mk III has virtually the same power and torque figures as the 1.8TSi in the MkII SE Plus model. The Mark III is lighter too.

I have a MkII 1.8TSi SE Plus estate and I can assure everyone that it is plenty fast enough in real life and quite frightening if you really put your foot down!. The 0 to 60 time quoted above seems to confirm the 1.4 will be fine

So would you recommend a petrol engine?

Re.

Powerful enough for your needs.

What are your needs if buying a large car.

Driving solo most of the time and able to keep up with traffic in Scotland & the UK with NSL of 60 MPH & 70 MPH.

All cars can do that these days with more than 100 bhp. & 150 ps will do the job.

If you want to carry 4-5 adults and some luggage, they all do that as well if they have 5 seats for adults, 

& they might even be safe enough on 60 mph roads to do an overtake.

If you want and need a big car and to carry lots of weight then you are as well to get some engine with a bit more power than 150 ps.

Most of the time the car will be used for the short drive to work. most it will work will be at  the weekends driving Grandson round Tayside to various football pitches. so petrol should be fine in theory.

After two years with a Mk2 1.4TSi I believe the unit is more than adequate. The base S spec will be 125ps while the SE and SE L Executive (the 1.4TSi in either guise is not available on the SE Business) will be 150ps. The 150 apparently has cylinder shutdown for low load use around town which will use only two cylinders and then when more urgency is required, all four cylinders will be used.  

This is the is the first iv heard about cylinder shutdown in this car. might be the tipping point in the Superbs favour. 

So would you recommend a petrol engine?

Unless you're doing a high mileage - a lot more than 10,000 per year - or you are towing, yes I would recommend petrol  The 1.4 ACT engine seems to get lots of praise

A question on the Honest John website today was similar to this. HJ said that he would only recommend the diesel over the 1.4ACT if the owner wanted to tow a caravan.

The issue reminded me how much engine design has come on over the last 40 years or so. When I was just leaning to drive - 47 years ago (gulp!) - an executive car was usually powered by a straight six 3.0l engine producing something like 120BHP. Now we are seeing engines in the 1.0l to . 1.2l producing more power. That's incredible

Also if you ever see a Ford, Vauxhall, Humber or Austin executive car or the period, don't they look small!

Very true, cars  that were regarded as medium or large in the 50's and 60's now look  to our eyes now as small. All cars are getting bigger,  due to EU requirements for safety, such as the V/hall Astra when they first came out was  quite small, but now grown into a sizeable vehicle, especially seen from the rear. But cars such as the Morris Oxford, Austin A40/50 , Hillman Minx seem now quite small. Even a Ford V8 Pilot when on a motorway among  today's traffic,  no longer looks  what it used to be in it's own day, ie a LARGE vehicle, and what a handful they were to drive, a steering wheel size of a bus's and multi turns  left to right with short column change  so you had to grope under the s/wheel to get at it. Only 3 gears but s/valve engine of V8 meant you could get away in 2nd, sometimes in 3rd!. Gutsy gas guzzler, but all cars then were much more enjoyable to drive, you felt you were doing something. Driving was a pleasure, no longer is it.

• Like 1

There is more to come from small engines, F1, 1.6L engines produce 750bhp. Oil burners have had their day.

When will they have had that day though.?

The Volkswagen Group have gone with Diesels in a Big Way and the likes of the Audi's as Ultras with the looks of a sporty car and diesel engines.

Then they have built all the new Engine Plants for the Audi Engines and are going to be using Electric Super Chargers with Diesels. (Electric Turbo Chargers, but they are not Turbos.)

Which is what all this Endurance Racing with Audi has been about for these past years.

You have Electric, Hydrogen, Compressed and Liquefied Gas & Gasoline and combinations of all, 

but then Diesel Small engines and Electric Motors work about as well as any of them for Passenger Cars.

Now proven technology,

& Diesel Producers are not going to be stopping selling Derv any time soon.

http://gas2.org/2014/08/11/audi-pioneers-use-of-electric-turbochargers

http://wired.com/2014/10/volvo-turbo-engine-concept

Edited by goneoffSKi

There is more to come from small engines, F1, 1.6L engines produce 750bhp. Oil burners have had their day.

They can only produce big power with horrendous rpm. which is fine in a race track but doesn't work on street cars.

It is the petrol engine that is endangered. Have you noticed they are essentially diesel engines with spark plugs now? Direct injection common rail with turbochargers. Hmm.

It is the low efficiency of petrol engines that is the problem. Diesel engines have an efficiency advantage of around 20%. They also thrive on big boost so produce big torque at low rpm where it aids drivability the most.

The biggest reason to not buy a diesel is cold running. They need a decent number of miles per journey to get hot and burn clean.

The death of the diesel will have nothing to do with the performance of a diesel, those who say that petrol MPG is getting close to diesel MPG are talking utter rubbish. My wife's 1.2 Honda Jazz is neither as good on fuel around town or on a run as my 2.0L 170bhp Superb, and my car is almost twice the size. No, the death of the diesel will be caused by the environmentalists. It will end up getting taxed out of existence, but I think by the time that happens, petrol won't be far behind it too, before that is also taxed out of existence. Zero emissions is the goal, and that can't be achieved with the internal combustion engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Diesels as Small Cars used in Cities, and even as Taxis should have been killed off years ago.

Back with the last UK Scrappage Scheme would have been a good time,

but people took the £2,000 and the Dealers & Manufacturers and the Government conned and Allowed people that do 

under 10,000 miles a year, many less than 5,000 to get a 'Good Deal',  on rubbish Euro 5 Dirty Diesels.

There are actually people that do 500-1000 miles a week, carry people or luggage, tow, or leave the UK and drive in Mainland Europe 

and 'Modern Petrols' & Euro 6 Emission Petrol Engines are not always going to be the answer for them.

or even that 'Green'.

Some people need to actually drive distances to work, 

and unlike Politicians, and Civil Servants they are not Flying, or taking Trains at the Tax Payers & Publics Expense,

they are keeping the various countries economies going.

So Electric might be the future for Cities and under 150 mile trips, 

& in cities there is no need for Internal combustion engines, and certainly not Petroleum & Diesel Burners.

Many Shopping / City / small low mileage annually cars need not have been anything like as fuel use inefficient for the past decade.