Towbar dilemma

twoladies

Here's the thing.  I want a fixed towbar and have two options.  The full Skoda electrics which will turn off the reversing sensors when I reverse.  £426 inc VAT

I rarely tow, so its not going to be an annoying problem if the sensors beep when I reverse.  So this option, which is not the full Skoda option, £337 inc VAT

What do y'all think?

Here's the thing.  I want a fixed towbar and have two options.  The full Skoda electrics which will turn off the reversing sensors when I reverse.  £426 inc VAT

I rarely tow, so its not going to be an annoying problem if the sensors beep when I reverse.  So this option, which is not the full Skoda option, £337 inc VAT

What do y'all think?

I'm amazed at how much UK customers pay in comparison to us......my Skoda bar install was ~ £180/$370 plus, all the vehicles seem cheaper here on the other side of the world.....seems odd to me.

^ ^ ^  Give Darren Auto Electrics a call, I'm sure he will be very competitive on price for either system and will install at your home  01332834505/07774600119  -  he's Derbyish based but travels the country installing! He fitted the more complex system to my 2nd yeti, I tow a car transporter and the system offered by P F Jones M/cr seemed ideal for my situation, Darren fitted it in less than 2 hours!

^ ^   Its a long way there and back to take advantage of such good prices!  ; - ))

^ I had the simple relay system fitted(by me), never had a problem in 3.5 years of usage, the beep can be silenced in the mfd system but only for 1 reverse operation if you draw f/wds and reverse again needs setting again, a bit of a pain so never used it, always put up with the beep!

However,  Graham , I do take your valid point.

• Like 1

I suspect that the slightly cheaper one is using a generic by-pass relay electrics system, which is not a good idea, and could possibly damage the complicated wiring (Called CanBus) that the Yeti is fitted with. If fitted without using the proper wiring plug it will also invalidate the warranty on the car.

If a proper "plug-in" system is used then the car needs to be reprogrammed. That will not only disable the rear parking sensors but will also:

turn off the car rear fog light when the trailer is plugged in,

extend the bulb failure system to the trailer, which then acts as the legally required notification if the trailer flashers don't work, 

extend the alarm system to include the trailer,

alter the flash rate of the flashers when the trailer is plugged in,

alters the car stability system when the trailer is plugged in.

Spend the extra and do the job properly.

Thank you so much.

That's my thinking also.  I was given the option, but as the company rep said, if I intend to keep the car long term, I should go for the more expensive option.

Just seems an awful lot of money!!!

^ ^ ^  Give Darren Auto Electrics a call, I'm sure he will be very competitive on price for either system and will install at your home  01332834505/07774600119  -  he's Derbyish based but travels the country installing! He fitted the more complex system to my 2nd yeti, I tow a car transporter and the system offered by P F Jones M/cr seemed ideal for my situation, Darren fitted it in less than 2 hours!

^ ^   Its a long way there and back to take advantage of such good prices!  ; - ))

^ I had the simple relay system fitted(by me), never had a problem in 3.5 years of usage, the beep can be silenced in the mfd system but only for 1 reverse operation if you draw f/wds and reverse again needs setting again, a bit of a pain so never used it, always put up with the beep!

However,  Graham , I do take your valid point.

Thanks - will call Darren.

Dilemma is that I will be towing a pony and need all the security I can get!!

OK, let me put it in equestrian terms then, if it helps.  Would you like to use a bridle the right size and with a bit suitable for your particular pony's mouth, or would you like some random bridle made to fit by the use of a hole punch, some string and whatever bit we have lying around?  Both options will "work" but the fitted one will cost you more.

:clap:  :clap: :clap:  :D  :D  :D  :p  :p  :p  

Thank you so much.

That's my thinking also.  I was given the option, but as the company rep said, if I intend to keep the car long term, I should go for the more expensive option.

Just seems an awful lot of money!!!

That seems to be a very good price. Not so long ago the going rate was c.£800!

Fred

If we were talking hundreds of pounds here fine save the money, but I'm with Graham here. The difference in cost there is not even two tanks of fuel. Get the proper setup which will also add the things Graham mentions.  The most important in my book the last one - changing the ESP of the car to automatically stop a trailer/caravan from swaying when it starts to do so by braking individual wheels with the ABS sensors. A lifesafer in my book.

• Like 2

I'm amazed at how much UK customers pay in comparison to us......my Skoda bar install was ~ £180/$370 plus, all the vehicles seem cheaper here on the other side of the world.....seems odd to me.

Have you not heard the phrase Rip off Britain.

• Like 1

That seems to be a very good price. Not so long ago the going rate was c.£800!

Fred

Ah, but that was probably a removable tow bar.  Don't trust those - anyway, I like a towbar on the back - stops others running into the back of my car when parking and acts as a battering ram for me!!

Ah, but that was probably a removable tow bar.  Don't trust those - anyway, I like a towbar on the back - stops others running into the back of my car when parking and acts as a battering ram for me!!

Ahhh shin bashers.

Mine is a fixed Witter with 2 bolt ball. and a dedicated wiring kit. reprogramed.  All in for £325 

The wiring kit was a none Skoda part but when it came out of the box it was all VAG branded. :happy:

• Like 1

Did mine myself for around £320 all in using genuine Skoda parts (detachable tow bar, bumper cutout, frame & cover and genuine electrics) and coded it myself first time.

Took me about 1.5 days of not rushing to get it done, but happy I did it that way as I know that it all works properly.

Have a look at my thread for full details.

• Like 1

Hmmm......well, it looks as though the quote for the Skoda equipped towbar is not that far out of line.  Another £100 for labour doesn't sound excessive for something which sounds mega complicated.  Far beyond me, at any rate.  I will get a guarantee and if something goes wrong, back it goes to GT Towing. :D

I will just have to bite the bullet and pay the price.  The VAT ups the price considerably of course.

If I had the choice when buying a S/H vehicle with a tow bar between factory or 3rd party fitted...I would go factory fitted and removable. To imply these are not to be trusted is a load of TOSH.

Edited by DonjSZ5

My mother used to pull two 16+hh horses in an Ifor Williams trailer with a removable towbar on a Jeep Cherokee.

• Like 1

If we were talking hundreds of pounds here fine save the money, but I'm with Graham here. The difference in cost there is not even two tanks of fuel. Get the proper setup which will also add the things Graham mentions.  The most important in my book the last one - changing the ESP of the car to automatically stop a trailer/caravan from swaying when it starts to do so by braking individual wheels with the ABS sensors. A lifesafer in my book.

hello stranger :-)

My mother used to pull two 16+hh horses in an Ifor Williams trailer with a removable towbar on a Jeep Cherokee.

Just because nothing happened, doesn't mean that it couldn't.  :D  Unfortunately, there have been a few instances............ Can't take the chance.  Anyway, I wouldn't want to fiddle around fixing towbars early in the morning when in a panic to get going, as we are usually running later than intended. :sweat:    We have had a fixed towbar for 17 years and nary a problem - so will stick with what we know.  Can't see the benefit of a removable anyway.  Must be one though.

So, we will have the proper Skoda equipment with all the advantages - decision made with the help of all you great peeps!!

Edited by twoladies

Just because nothing happened, doesn't mean that it couldn't.  :D  Unfortunately, there have been a few instances............ Can't take the chance.  Anyway, I wouldn't want to fiddle around fixing towbars early in the morning when in a panic to get going, as we are usually running later than intended. :sweat:    We have had a fixed towbar for 17 years and nary a problem - so will stick with what we know.  Can't see the benefit of a removable anyway.  Must be one though.

So, we will have the proper Skoda equipment with all the advantages - decision made with the help of all you great peeps!!

My removable one has not been removed for the last three years or so...  maybe even longer!  And it cost me £832. Nice. :(

But in saying that it is neat looking. Just the towbar sticks out and the electrics fold away - hence I don't mind it always being on the car. Whereas a fixed bar always have acres and acres of tat attached to it seemingly with the sockets all over the show and structural bars and bracing. No thanks. If I have the choice and if I leave it on permanently again next time I will again get a removable one. Especially when you go off roading (which I really don't) but still, if you want to, you do NOT want a big hook reducing your clearance out back.

• Like 1

:D 

My removable one has not been removed for the last three years or so...  maybe even longer!  And it cost me £832. Nice. :(

But in saying that it is neat looking. Just the towbar sticks out and the electrics fold away - hence I don't mind it always being on the car. Whereas a fixed bar always have acres and acres of tat attached to it seemingly with the sockets all over the show and structural bars and bracing. No thanks. If I have the choice and if I leave it on permanently again next time I will again get a removable one. Especially when you go off roading (which I really don't) but still, if you want to, you do NOT want a big hook reducing your clearance out back.

Ah, but the big hook at the back stops cars hitting mine when they are parking!!  :D  And then, of course, it looks like a REAL country car hehehe!!

Ah, but the big hook at the back stops cars hitting mine when they are parking!!  :D  And then, of course, it looks like a REAL country car hehehe!!

Yes that is broadly why I keep mine on as well. Especially when going to places like France with their touch-parking habits.

• 2 weeks later...

OK - job done. Did the full Monty at GT Towing. Really efficient company - took exactly 2hours 10 mins.

Swan neck towbar fitted with Skoda electrics. They attached a computer box to show me how it works. Not too sure what he was talking about - can only hope that I can just hitch up and be off!

To be honest, the towbar hardly notices. And is a useful battering ram and so far all is well. Can't tow yet, as I haven't done 1000 kms.

Thanks for all the advice.