Vrs tdi brake fade

If braking hard from speed my brakes work fine but if I lose off and reaply the brake I get fade / need to apply more pressure for same amount of braking just wondering if anyone else has this problem am going to replace pads with some better quality items as current pads are of unknown quality all though aren't very old by the look of them hopefully this should cure the problem if not will change the fluid just wondering if anyone has found a particular good upgrade for an oem setup? Thanks in advance for any help rob

Discs are mint mate so gonna just go with pads atm will change discs when they wear more only had it two weeks n allready had to change clutch and flywheel the remap decided the old one was a tad weak for the extra torque lol do money's getting a bit tight for the mo cheers for advice tho when I do the discs grooved or grooved and drilled?

Brake pads do need time to bed-in so heavy braking really needs to avoided intitially.

You could end-up with brake pads being baked that hard they become less efficient so more pressure is required on the foot-brake to slow-car-down.

Changing driving style may be a clever man's answer but I'm sure even at normal speed if I need em in an emergency the fade won't decide to dissappear so not really an option thanks I'm a mechanic so I know about bedding them in etc hence really just asking if it was a common issue with the oem setup on the vrs tdi and asking for suggestions on which pads have worked for you lot rather than go buy pads I've liked on previous cars but don't maybe work as well on the vrs fluid change and pads from experience is my obvious diagnosis all though they don't go spongey as if the fluid is deteriorated the pedal te quires more pressure for the same response possibly a servo issue so thanks everyone for their advice some useful some not do use full ill be changing the pads changing the fluid and hopefully that will cure it if not maybe ill have to drive like a puff n hope no one ever pulls out on me lol

I think I agree that sponginess would be what I'd expect if it was water in the fluid.

Your comment about servo makes me think it would be a good idea to check the vacuum line to the servo, especially at the connections. Quite common for the connection at the vac pump to go leaky, I seem to remember reading.

Its well documented the brakes are too small on the vrs if you drive quite hard/have it remapped etc. 

Keep your eyes open for a 312mm front brake set up, they come off octavia vrs/sporty golfs etc :)

Even driven 'normally' the standard VRS brakes are shocking, go to a place like milton keynes where its all short straights and roundabouts and you will see what i mean.

Yes if you cant read the road and you stamp on them everytime then you will get face, i found that any 'lively' use and they were awful.

312's upfront have stopped the issue and means you can give it some stick if you so wish

Its well documented the brakes are too small on the vrs if you drive quite hard/have it remapped etc. 

Keep your eyes open for a 312mm front brake set up, they come off octavia vrs/sporty golfs etc :)

Does remapping a car make the brake discs reduce in size?  More engine power does not make the brakes inadequate.  Only car weight, speed and the braking intensity determine how much brake performance is required, and they are controlled by the driver not engine power. 

Does remapping a car make the brake discs reduce in size?  More engine power does not make the brakes inadequate.  Only car weight, speed and the braking intensity determine how much brake performance is required, and they are controlled by the driver not engine power.

Don't be a knob,that is all.

Now now calm down calm down think ill be going the 312 route when the discs are shot but for now decent pads will have to do lol cheers for the advice peeps

• Like 1

philbes, on 13 Jul 2015 - 10:12, said:snapback.png

Does remapping a car make the brake discs reduce in size?  More engine power does not make the brakes inadequate.  Only car weight, speed and the braking intensity determine how much brake performance is required.  Remapping does not increase weight, and braking intensity and legal speed is controlled by the driver not engine power.

Don't be a knob,that is all.

So which part of my (slightly edited) post is factually incorrect?

Walked past a Golf the other day that had 18" wheels over massive front discs and multi-pot callipers.  Also had cheap Chinese tyres; the front pair of which were almost bald.  Do you think the cost of the brake upgrade was money well spent?

Walked past a Golf the other day that had 18" wheels over massive front discs and multi-pot callipers.  Also had cheap Chinese tyres; the front pair of which were almost bald.  Do you think the cost of the brake upgrade was money well spent?

No, the kid's an idiot.

However, the Mk1 Fabia VRS IS under braked as standard, many VAG group TDI cars are, because they're heavy and can hustle, particularly when mapped to 170bhp.

No modification should be considered in isolation, the Fab really needs better brakes, better suspension and better tyres before considering more power to be perfectly frank. Even my little 100bhp petrol has benefitted hugely from improvements in all these areas despite being nearly 200kg lighter. I haven't bothered touching the engine at all.

• Like 1

So which part of my (slightly edited) post is factually incorrect?

Need to edit my post too,argumentative knob I should have put.

A more powerful/remapped car will get to the legal speed limit faster/in a shorter distance,so for example on a stretch of road where you might have only got to 50mph before needing to brake you could hit 70mph,so brakes will be given more stick/need to be better.

Comprende?

Need to edit my post too,argumentative knob I should have put.

A more powerful/remapped car will get to the legal speed limit faster/in a shorter distance,so for example on a stretch of road where you might have only got to 50mph before needing to brake you could hit 70mph,so brakes will be given more stick/need to be better.

Comprende?

I comprehend (I'm English) but don't agree with what with you say.  If you are accelerating to 70 you must be on a dual-carriageway or motorway, so perhaps actually taking notice of what is happening ahead would negate the need for such acceleration followed immediately by braking.  If on a single carriage-way road then your remapped/powerful car is obviously 'forcing' you to break the legal speed limit.

Note that I don't resort to name calling.  Not necessary in an exchange of views.  I believe usually only resorted to when the poster has a lack of confidence in the logic of their views/statements.

Incidentally, I have an accessory in my car that I recommend for yours - a sense of humour! ;)

I do think it depends on how you drive, if your giving it guns a lots then upgrade ... if like me your ferrying a child 90% of the time, driving to the speed limits then im sure decent standard size brakes are adequate. Unless you want to crash, you have to learn your cars limitations, it maybe brakes, cornering etc. Mine has a eco remap giving 160bhp, so ye its more than 130, but doesn't mean im going to inappropriately use it. But if your going for a fast road remap, turbo etc etc, then ofc brakes/ suspension, sway bar etc in line with performance mods. Its just a a case of common scene.

But going back to the OP, you said your pads are unknown, so maybe just better pads, check discs are ok, check callipers aren't seized or fully working and check your vac pipes as already said. Thats where i would go 

No, the kid's an idiot.

However, the Mk1 Fabia VRS IS under braked as standard, many VAG group TDI cars are, because they're heavy and can hustle, particularly when mapped to 170bhp.

No modification should be considered in isolation, the Fab really needs better brakes, better suspension and better tyres before considering more power to be perfectly frank. Even my little 100bhp petrol has benefitted hugely from improvements in all these areas despite being nearly 200kg lighter. I haven't bothered touching the engine at all.

I

I comprehend (I'm English) but don't agree with what with you say. If you are accelerating to 70 you must be on a dual-carriageway or motorway, so perhaps actually taking notice of what is happening ahead would negate the need for such acceleration followed immediately by braking. If on a single carriage-way road then your remapped/powerful car is obviously 'forcing' you to break the legal speed limit.

Note that I don't resort to name calling. Not necessary in an exchange of views. I believe usually only resorted to when the poster has a lack of confidence in the logic of their views/statements.

Incidentally, I have an accessory in my car that I recommend for yours - a sense of humour! ;)

Presume that's when someone else is in your car?

So you don't have roundabouts on dual carriageways? There is no law on how fast you accelerate, as long as you are in control of tye vehicle.

Argue the fact the Fabia is under braked with others on here please as your boring me. :)

Perhaps you should point out to Ferrari and Porsche they could get away with using Fabia vrs brakes, save them a fortune.

Wait!!! Someone is saying the vRS brakes are adequate, Now I've read everything lol.

I'd hate to drive a fabia 2.0 fast then, it has smaller brakes than a vRS yet fast enough to take a mustang like king...

Wait!!! Someone is saying the vRS brakes are adequate, Now I've read everything lol.

I'd hate to drive a fabia 2.0 fast then, it has smaller brakes than a vRS yet fast enough to take a mustang like king...

It actually has the same brakes as the VRS but the rest is true.

• Like 1

Look I'm a mechanic do I know what to check for and as the pads are unknown ill change them anyway the vac pipe is fine and the callipers aren't siezed all I was asking was is it a common problem obviously yes and what are people's opinions on the best oem pads from their experience because as a mechanic I know that all pads font necessarily perform the same on all cars being told my driving style is inadequate and I need to look further ahead I'd just insulting as I've been driving 22 yrs and not had a smash yet when I said braking from speed I didn't state what speed also why do people (not all of you some have made use full comments) seem to think if you ask a question or people's opinion you are a complete moron or a novice to all this like I said I've been a mechanic about 25 years and at no point have I ever stopped learning more about mechanics. And one last grind why is there all ways an argument and insulting tournament every time there's a difference of opinion yes the brakes are inadequate if you drive hard or depending on conditions but yes if you drive within the limits of the brakes there is no problem all resolved now kiss n make up rant over thanks to those who made use full comments lots of love and kisses rob xxxxx