The 280PS Thread

Fuel type has been discussed many times, but:

I couldn’t tell the difference between 95 and 97 RON (cannot get 98 anywhere near where I live), so have stuck with 95 ever since over a year ago. I also tried 98 (as well as 100) on the continent: again, felt no benefit. We also have a Porsche in the family. Porsche Centre dealer says: “we use 95 in all our cars; no problem”. Good enough for me, too.

17 minutes ago, eurotraveller said:

Fuel type has been discussed many times, but:

I couldn’t tell the difference between 95 and 97 RON (cannot get 98 anywhere near where I live), so have stuck with 95 ever since over a year ago. I also tried 98 (as well as 100) on the continent: again, felt no benefit. We also have a Porsche in the family. Porsche Centre dealer says: “we use 95 in all our cars; no problem”. Good enough for me, too.

As I mentioned over there somewhere...

the car will have a knock sensor so will compensate for the 95 octane fuel and retard the ignition slightly if there's detonation.

I suspect however that as all of Skoda's maps are a little conservative, most cars will probably run absolutely fine on 95 even though 98 is recommended.

On 27/07/2018 at 18:09, Nick_H said:

Coming home today and I noticed a bit of a flat spot. Give it a bit of stick in first and nothing seems to happen for a second then whoosh ! Felt a bit like an 80's Saab Turbo !

Was fine this morning so I've put it down to the heat.

Anyone else noticed similar ?

Did the revs move or did it feel like nothing happened at all, when you were pressing the accelerator? 

4 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Did the revs move or did it feel like nothing happened at all, when you were pressing the accelerator? 

Hard to explain ...  Initial pick up then slight hesitation before explosive excelleration. 

I had confirmation from my delaer that my 272/280 will be built in week 34. Skoda UK confirmed that it would be a 6 speed dsg fitted to mine

Not too long to wait now! Ordered in May after originally trying in March. Hopefully see it at the end of September :biggrin:

• Like 1

Similar story here, my build week has been moved out to 36.  How convinced were you by Skoda UK comms re DSG6?  I had a live chat with them a few weeks and they said the same, but I remain to be convinced they know for sure !  It would make sense on paper that they fit the 7 speed in order to get the (still to be released) WLTP figures to an acceptable level. 

I assume you had to sign a WLTP form also?  Interestingly this states you are freely allowed to cancel or change your order if the new official CO2/consumption figures come out worse.  It's difficult to see the addition of the GPF alone meeting both those figures.  

Either way I wish they would hurry up, I'm spending waay too much time on this site!  

1 hour ago, Chas51 said:

Similar story here, my build week has been moved out to 36.  How convinced were you by Skoda UK comms re DSG6?  I had a live chat with them a few weeks and they said the same, but I remain to be convinced they know for sure !  It would make sense on paper that they fit the 7 speed in order to get the (still to be released) WLTP figures to an acceptable level. 

I assume you had to sign a WLTP form also?  Interestingly this states you are freely allowed to cancel or change your order if the new official CO2/consumption figures come out worse.  It's difficult to see the addition of the GPF alone meeting both those figures.  

Either way I wish they would hurry up, I'm spending waay too much time on this site!  

Haha yes, I wasn't too sure if they were sure! 7 speed box would be nice but I don't mind either way personally. 

Yes, I signed a document saying the emissions could change and tax could go up. I didn't realise that option was there, I should have paid more attention before signing :D

You and me both! This site is excellent as well which makes it even harder to not spend half the day reading up!

On 27/07/2018 at 02:49, ionelmc said:

Quite the long sidemirror extension - product page link?

http://www.milenco.com/products/mirrors/milenco-aero-3-xl-mirror

@penguin17 lots of space in the caravan, but because of weight restrictions on the caravan I use the roof box for extra storage. 

Edited by Howardv
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TonyTonic said:

Pics and spec? I am after panoroof, front rear sensors and camera if poss

Lots of spec but no panoroof (IIRC).  I test drove this car two days before he bought it.  It's a lovely car and was ordered and spec'd by the owner of Vindis Group in Cambs, as his personal car:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807319008274?body-type=Estate&aggregatedTrim=SportLine&postcode=cb40ds&colour=Grey&sort=sponsored&make=SKODA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=SUPERB&page=2

I'm sure the current owner will be able to help you more.  Best colour too IMO. 

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

Lots of spec but no panoroof (IIRC).  I test drove this car two days before he bought it.  It's a lovely car and was ordered and spec'd by the owner of Vindis Group in Cambs, as his personal car:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201807319008274?body-type=Estate&aggregatedTrim=SportLine&postcode=cb40ds&colour=Grey&sort=sponsored&make=SKODA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&model=SUPERB&page=2

that looks a peach, cost to change slightly too high for me. I need to get under 20k somehow  with a 3.5k PX

Edited by TonyTonic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DivineWind said:

Hey chaps, this seems the most appropriate place to ask this going by the last few pages.

Would it be possible for the non towers to let me know their average MPS please?

I'm guessing you mean MPG :)  Mine is averaging 30MPG but is mainly urban driving.  When I go on a 200 mile trip down the A1 every 2-3 weeks then 38-40MPG is achievable.  For the performance available I'd say running costs aren't too bad. 

I've also just had an insurance quote that was cheaper than my 150 TDI Sportline was! 

3 hours ago, penguin17 said:

If I didn't have one on order in pretty much near enough the same spec, I'd be all over this. Great buy for someone. :thumbup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DivineWind said:

Hey chaps, this seems the most appropriate place to ask this going by the last few pages.

Would it be possible for the non towers to let me know their average MPS please?

Right now, MPG I’m getting on average is 32 to 34 with an almost fifty fifty mix of motorway and back country B roads / urban and ‘getting on with it’ when conditions allow. 

No complaints. 

Never seen an average over 28mpg, short trips during the week and long motorway runs at the weekend.

Have seen 34mpg on the trip but never anymore.

Edited by philsmith

For me, breaking into 30s mpg quite unusual. In my case, mostly B and A roads; maybe 30% dual carriageway / motorway. On the smaller roads I generally select ‘Sport’ for the much better downshifting, with occasional paddle intervention.

Autobahn travel coming up shortly: might be tough to crack into 20s mpg :o

1 hour ago, eurotraveller said:

Autobahn travel coming up shortly: might be tough to crack into 20s mpg :o

I imagine this being the perfect environment for the 280.  It really is the best all-round car I've ever had.  

Loaded up and on the Autobahn and at about 115/120 mph, when allowed, I usually get around 30mpg average.

Managed 42 mpg from Farnborough (Hants) to my destination slightly short of Hannover on one tank of fuel (just). Saturday into Sunday overnight trip and didn't want to arrive too early at my destination so set ACC to 110 kph. Most boring drive I've ever done. At 4 am on a Sunday morning I had the usually busy East/West A2 autobahn virtually to myself.

Unexpectedly managed 41 mpg throwing the car around the bends in East Anglia. Not high speeds but plenty of gear work, keeping the engine revs in the higher range.

On the continent I usually get 30-32 when pushing 100-155 mph on the autobahn, mid 30's when not pushing 100+, whilst locally I get 32-36 on rural, 28-30 in urban off-peak, low 20's at peak times.

• Like 1