Have I broken Gee's old car already?

This might just be a 1.8T tuned thing I don't know.

Basically I was on an advanced driving assessment / practise run this evening so no caning it etc.  I noticed on two occasions whilst in gear coasting that a cloud of white/grey smoke came out the exhaust.  Enough to fill whole rear screen really  The final time it did it I was going downhill gently in 3rd gear and braking for a red light.  Smoke was definitely not blue - looked grey and wispy.  When I got home I have wiped over the bumper around the exhaust with my hand and there was something that smelled a little fuelly.

Now I was never able to replicate the symptoms as it was pretty random and I think it only did it twice on about a 30 mile drive.  Should I be concerned?  The car still has awesome power, no faults.  I will check the oil level in the morning once cold but she is clean as a whistle all other times - just these two times she decided to belch out a cloud of smoke.  The only thing I can think of is in both scenarios I "think" I had just been going downhill before it did it.

Any ideas?  I am a 1.8T noob.   :D

• Like 1

Migjt just be a bit random excess fuelling coming off the throttle, misting and vapouring in the hot exhaust? Esp if its when coasting and smelled petrolly.. i know very little though :D

It may have been mapped for abit of popping and banging on overrun with some excess fuel? Does it pop and bang a lot?

Not really.  Nice burble on over run I guess compared to when being just on light throttle.  Note is a fair bit higher.

• Like 1

Fuel is normally black ain't it. Blue is oil iirc. Grey ?? Which shade out of the 50 ?

Like I said valve stem seal are known on the 1.8t to go hard. But I'm thinking blue smoke for them. Mine used to puff a bit on throttle after a downhill coast on one road here in Cardiff never noticed it elsewhere. Angle of the dangle maybe causing an oddity. Used to get a light bit of smoke on cold start possibly grey. Don't forget I'm blue green colour blind so grey can be blue green or whatever my eyes think it is !!!