Have I made a mistake?

Blue R36, has something upset you? Also if your moniker reflects the car you drive, you can hardly comment on reps cars in drag. That said, if I could find a decent estate version and find enough petrol money, I'd take an R36 in a heartbeat.

Blue R36, has something upset you? Also if your moniker reflects the car you drive, you can hardly comment on reps cars in drag. That said, if I could find a decent estate version and find enough petrol money, I'd take an R36 in a heartbeat.

. You are obviously new on here and take everything in black and white , Andy is a mate having a dig and me so back , I have a car that may look like a reps car but has 360 bhp , the point I was making was the tdi is a reps car pretending to be a sports car I like cars that is a wolf in Sheeps clothing not a sheep in wolfs clothing

Yep I am pal. Just thought (and still do) it was a bit harsh re the reps car line. No worries. As I said, would have loved an R36, but as they're like hens teeth (another reason for me wanting one) and the running costs means it's a bit out of my league.

• Like 1

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHAME THEY DONT MAKE A VRS 4X4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With the 280bhp that the Leon and Golf R get (then get it mapped by Revo, 371bhp and 360lbft), I'd buy one in a shot  :D

• Like 1

Back in February after test driving the VRS and 184 scout decided to go for the scout. Why?  4 wheel drive , same engine as (tdi) VRS and lower monthly payments.

Dropped in to the dealer ship today to sort out the paper work and on the forecourt was a gorgeous black VRS – have I made a mistake??

Rob

Rob, I like the look of the scout and with the right engine spec reckon it'll be a great all rounder.

I have a remapped VRS TSI kicking out 346bhp which in a 1.37 tonne car makes for a fun drive on most days and does when up to speed have the ability to show up fair few cars. (GPS verified 0-60mph of 5.2 and 0-100mph of 10.9 - best time so far with far worse time due to lack of traction!!!)

I do miss the haldex set up of my R36 and that is why I'd love a Scout.

On the other hand, with my car still able to achieve 40mpg+ for a petrol car with all that power and fun, I don't miss it too much.

I guess where I'm coming from is it's all down to personal choice, however most on here would trade their VRS's in no doubt for a VRS R 4x4 if ever it came available!!!!

Doesn't help you too much although both cars are very good cars indeed!!

• Like 1

I've had a MK2 VRS for seven years now and have just dropped the cash on a 184bhp Scout. Like you I still look at the MK3 VRS and worry that I may have made a mistake - I think that the VRS is by far the sharper looking car. However, the Scout was very much a head over heart decision. I like the added security of 4x4, I think that the Scout does look nicer than a regular Octy and for me, personally, I didn't like the sports seats on the VRS. I know that everyone says that they are fine, but I found them a bit "massive" - they make the back of the car feel darker and I actually find the regular seats more comfortable.

I would refer you to the opening line of the Autocar review of the Scout - 

"What is it?: 

My nomination for one half of the ideal two-car garage. "

​So enjoy the fact that you have bought an eminently practical car with a bit of oomph behind it and then make your second car the one gets your blood racing...

Eeperman, You must be reading my mind!

Agree on the VRS seats and just spent some time on pistonheads at the weekend looking at old SL500's, XJS's - all thanks to Harry's garage (check him out on Youtube).

Note to self - need to make some more money

Rob

Personally I think the Scout looks great, better and more interesting than a VRS (to me, personal opinion, not that the VRS doesn't look good of course). 

When I see a Scout out on the road it makes me sit up and take notice, probably because there aren't that many out there yet, they seem few and far between.

There are quite a few VRS models around, almost too many, to the point where its just another VRS driving up the road - could the VRS be the next XR3i (I'm sure those people old enough to remember the XR3i know what I'm referring to).

The reality is they are both great cars and if I had no option than to have a VRS I'd be quite happy, I just prefer the look of the Scout.

Today I was working on the old Greenham Common site (remember the nuclear protest camp there in 1982, 30,000 women turned up) which is where the Ridgeway Group have their car compound and prep site. At lunch time I took a walk around and saw several VRS models there but no Scout.  

So when it arrives enjoy it and revel in the fact there aren't that many out there and you're driving around in a great looking well specced rare car.

I'm very tempted by the Mk 3 Scout over the Mk 3 vRS for my next car but I just don't think I could live with the Scout's rear bumper!

We originally walked into dealers to look at VRS. They had one at a show. Sat in it and thought NICE. Sat in one a few year sago and it was hard and bad. So I thought a Skoda will always be a NO. Now they had good seats, it was a possibility.

We test drove loads of 4x4's Sate FE, Suzuki, Mazda cx5. Nissan, outlanders. All 4x4, due to space for dogs. I told wife to try an estate, hence the walk into Skoda showroom.

She noticed a Scout and liked it. Seats were quite good. Trim was nice. Sat nav etc. Had a test drive and it was good. Can I point out at this point it was a 150 bhp modal and at no point was it mentioned they did a more powerful model. We likes the drive. Went back and asked if they had a vrs manual in to test. Only had auto. Wife didn't want to drive or test an auto. We went out in it to compare power. I drove. :clap: yes the increase in power was ace. We then purchased a vrs tdi.

NOW if he told us they did a Scout with the same power, it could have been a different story.

Anyway. The seat hugged me and it looks 100% better. Just hope the ride isn't too hard

Both care are good.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHAME THEY DONT MAKE A VRS 4X4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are making a 280bhp 4x4 Superb :-)

Always bound to become a Scout v vRS thread this.....two different cars appealing to two different sets of people.

The Scout 184 is great, has the advantage of 4wd and makes it pretty quick and v good off the mark.

But it is DSG only (so you either have to like or accept having an Auto) and frankly speaking it isnt a vRS.

Yes the vRS is 2wd and doesnt get its power down as well but its fair to say its book 0-62 figure is not correct (vRS TDIs have been timed late/mid 7's to 62) but whereas the Scout is largely a "regular" 4x4 Octavia with RRP, increased ride height and a Allroad type body kit....the vRS is nigh on a rebodied Golf GTI/GTD. Big part of the vRS is the look, nice styling and interior but it also has specific chassis tuning, Progressive Steering (which makes a huge difference to how these things steer) and big brakes...

..neither car is better than the other because its hard to define as they are both good at what they pertain to be but its fair to say the Scout is most likely v effective care of the engine, DSG and 4wd but on the whole drives like a 4x4 Elegance on stilts whereas the vRS offers warm hatch fun in a similar sense to a GTI/GTD.

At the end of the day its really down to whichever car pushes your buttons the most....for me it'd have to be vRS because I prefer how it looks and I think I would enjoy driving it more but then thats again just personal taste.

If I had a bloody quick weekend toy/trackday weapon Id probably have the Scout though :-)

• Like 1

a 2.0 TDI 184ps vRS being in effect the same as a Golf GTD 2.0 184 ps is not really a selling point is it, 

They are just 184 ps Derv cars with some plastic trim and styling so they look the same as the vRS / GTI Petrols.

Nothing special in handling or the likes, start them up and drive them and they are just Diesel Hatchbacks or Estates.

60 mph NSL & 70 on Dual Carriageways-Motorways and how much Sporting do you need, all modern cars go around corners on the right tyres. (how much braking do you do in the UK at the NSL's that the big brakes are coming into their own because smaller ones would be getting hot, and falling to slow you down ?)

Mutton dressed as lamb sums them up for some.

A Diesel Scout as a trackday weapon is something even Skoda Media seem to have missed as being the 

market they are looking to sell to.

Now as a Tow Barge for a Track Day Weapon, and quick commuting all seasons / business / family transporter, it does win hands down over just the FWD 184ps with 'looks'  IMHO.

• Like 1

I dont know if I agree with your summary George.

At the end of the day a Scout is a compelling mix of relatively powerful diesel motor, DSG and all wheel drive traction but despite all this it will drive much like a regular Octavia, with its tall suspension, increased travel and slow steering rack...it doesnt have any sporting intent. But thats fine as it isnt and is not marketed in any way as a sports oriented Octavia. Golf Alltrack is no different in this regard.

The vRS TDI is sports oriented (note it is not a sports car....I appreciate the difference), heavily based on the GTI/GTD and so drives much like one (though I do suspect the GTI/GTD is slightly better developed in order to justify its premium) and will drive differently to the Scout....for those wanting a car with some kind of sporting intent it will make the better option as lack of traction and a loss of a few split secs on 0-60 sprint (which is pretty meaningless anyway) it will arguably steer and stop better which would be argument enough for most. The vRS definitely is not a regular Octavia with a bodykit and styling as you suggest, the differences are a little greater than that.

I have a 150 TDI Elegance estate.....goes v well for what is a very ordinary looking estate car....its also v pleasant to drive but fun it is not. I think what the 4wd does is serve to overcome a number of the regular 2wd Octavias handling shortcomings with the vastly improved traction but Id argue the toss if this makes it "fun" rather than more competent.

I also have a Mk7 GTD.....sure outrightly its not loads quicker than the Octavia (bit more power but a bit more weight too) but they really are like chalk and cheese to drive.....its a superior drivers car all round as VW have gone to some lengths to make it drive better than a regular Golf, much as Skoda have with the vRS Ive no doubt.

Its all in the eye of the beholder and to the OP I dont necessarily think any mistake has been made.....providing both cars have been test driven and they end up choosing the one they prefer. Only they can answer that.

Edited by pipsypreturns

The vRS definitely is not a regular Octavia with a bodykit and styling as you suggest, the differences are a little greater than that.

What are the differences?

I know the vrs gets the variable steering ratio and bigger brakes? But apart from that what is vrs only?

I ask out of curiousity, not to fuel the whos best discusion.

What are the differences?

I know the vrs gets the variable steering ratio and bigger brakes? But apart from that what is vrs only?

I ask out of curiousity, not to fuel the whos best discusion.

Lower sports suspension, difference ARB's.

Lower sports suspension, difference ARB's.

Is it the same suspension that can be specced on the regular models?

Arb's, Im not familiar whith that. Quick explanation so I can figure out the Norwegian Word for it would be appriciated :)

Is it the same suspension that can be specced on the regular models?

Arb's, Im not familiar whith that. Quick explanation so I can figure out the Norwegian Word for it would be appriciated :)

No, the sports suspension on an Elegance is still a Torsion Beam system and not the multi-link setup you get on the VRS.

The Scout has multi-link suspension but it's going to be different springs and dampers to the VRS.

ARB is an Anti Roll Bar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-roll_bar

Anti roll bar, offcourse. I feel silly now :p

But the 1.8tsi and all 4x4 gets the multi-link, so they would be basicly the same if the sports suspension is specced?

Anti roll bar, offcourse. I feel silly now :p

But the 1.8tsi and all 4x4 gets the multi-link, so they would be basicly the same if the sports suspension is specced?

If you can spec lower ride height & sports suspension on the 4x4  or any model which has the same multi-link rear as vrs then you are getting very near in spec to vrs.

This is why I got my Golf MK7 estate because I can spec 1.4TSI petrol 140ps engine, multilink rear, lower sports suspension as factory fit!............& I notice the difference on twisty roads! 

If you can spec lower ride height & sports suspension on the 4x4 or any model which has the same multi-link rear as vrs then you are getting very near in spec to vrs.

This is why I got my Golf MK7 estate because I can spec 1.4TSI petrol 140ps engine, multilink rear, lower sports suspension as factory fit!............& I notice the difference on twisty roads!

At least in Norway most versions except the Scout can be specced with sports suspension (15mm lower rideheight).

I did not spec it couse I want a bit of groundclearance in the winter, but the democar I borrowed had it.

The 'Sports Suspension' option on regular cars I think is a bit misleading as whilst it changes the springs, (probably) dampers and ride height it wont I doubt be the same set up as on a vRS.....some of the components might be the same but expect it'll be model specific to some degree.

Im am sure as **** this is the case regular Golf v Performance Golf so cant see the vRS being any different in that regard.

Hi Pipsyreturns

How do you like the Mk 7 GTD, test drove one and very impressed - just wasn't big enough for my window blinds.

Also welcome back

Rob