Would Adblue put you off another diesel

Sad555

Would AdBlue put you off buying a diesel?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would AdBlue put you off buying a diesel?

If it was 0% as well then it would be a deal worth considering but as it's not then it's probably cheaper with 0% when that was available and buying the extra 2 years warranty.

As you say it's just marketing, especially as the small print says that its for stock cars only sold by the end of the month.

So in the scheme of things no change.

Edited by VAGCF

If it was 0% as well then it would be a deal worth considering but as it's not then it's probably cheaper with 0% when that was available and buying the extra 2 years warranty.

As you say it's just marketing, especially as the small print says that its for stock cars only sold by the end of the month.

So in the scheme of things no change.

But the all new model might be covered for 5 because of VW's greater confidence in its reliability ....otherwise surely the question is why not

They must be lacking a bit of confidence in the New Kodiaq then until they see how it goes.

The Octavia & Fabia Face Lift Models should come with longer warranties in Europe as all snagging faults should now be ironed out and they will know how many Warranty Claims they have had up to now.

• 4 months later...

I've been looking at the 2017 Australian Tiguan's specs which, strangely, refers to SCR

AND

EGR as being part of it's emissions controls 

There is no mention of any Euro standard it meets.

Euro6 is mandatory here from July, so it this sloppy editing or a transition model of some sort?.

IMG_0314.PNG

15 hours ago, Ryeman said:

I've been looking at the 2017 Australian Tiguan's specs which, strangely, refers to SCR

AND

Euro6 is mandatory here from July, so it this sloppy editing or a transition model of some sort?.

IMG_0314.PNG

Just when we're thankfully getting out, it looks like they are trying to expand their empire to the other side of the world!  Is that the thin end of the wedge?

20 hours ago, Ryeman said:

AND

IMG_0314.PNG

The new 2.0 Merc diesel uses two water cooled EGR's, CAT, DPF, pre Adblue mix chamber and much enlarged SCR. It's expensive tech, hurts economy and will use more adblue

The new Euro real world tests that have a range of temperatures and loads that require a range of technologies.

And is the reason why many manufacturers are saying that small to medium cars and small vans will be diesel free within 2 model generations. They just wont make financial sense.

Lee

Edited by logiclee

It intrigues me that they make no mention in the Australian specs of meeting any standard but they do in the U.K. one.

I wonder if they have reduced the capacity of the EGR's cooler also, due to there being a cleaner burn, and thus a lifespan no better than the old version.

I might now just hang on for a BEV with serious range.

I notice how much easier and cheaper it is to access a Mercedes EGR valve compared to E-W engines also.

I wonder where they put it in the A and B series.

1 minute ago, g6zru said:

Have moved back to petrol!!!

Fred

Agee, if you don't do massive mileage or tow a LOT the figures just don't add up for me.

On 31/03/2017 at 22:04, gadgetman said:

SCR equipped vehicles still use EGR coolers. 

So what does it achieve that post combustion AdBlue treatment doesn't do?.

Is it involved in control of blowby gasses?.

9 minutes ago, Wino said:

Reduces the amount of NOx created in the combustion chambers.  Prevention better than cure, kinda thing.

Reading about the supposed advantages of SCR, it seems to say that the combustion process (temperature) isn't compromised and thus the higher temps mean less particulates to deal with, higher power and reduced consumption and CO2 emissions.

The significantly higher NOx produced from the higher combustion temperature is dealt with by the AdBlue ....I thought.

Not enough I guess.

Just now, Wino said:

Great, but do you want a huge adblue tank?

Only if it means the buried EGR cooler valve doesn't end up costing thousands to fix.

On 31/03/2017 at 12:04, gadgetman said:

SCR equipped vehicles still use EGR coolers. 

Are you sure, I was led to believe cars were equipped with one technology or the other?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Are you sure, I was led to believe cars were equipped with one technology or the other?

If you go back to the pics of the Tiguan emissions specs it mentions both, which has me thoroughly confused as to the reason.

Nobody has an answer as to WHY.

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Am I nobody? Or do you just not believe me?

Huh?

Neither.

I just want to know why there seems to be a duplication in the method of controlling NOx emissions.

Egr reduces the need for post-treatment, so that the SCR reactor/catalytic converter doesn't need to be enormous, and adblue usage doesn't have to be matchingly rapid.

I thought I'd already said that, more or less?

The scene:

Sit down

Sign here 

Don't ask questions 

Take what you're given

Be grateful 

(wood duck)

we know nothing