Anyone else uninstalled Windows 10?

Sheldon.Cooper

I uninstalled yesterday. Laptop was pretty much unusable, it would become unresponsive doing a few things. Unable to perform an update as it just hung. Couldn't even log out or reboot properly. I put it down to a driver issue so will leave it a few months and hope this has been ironed out when I try again. Colleague at work had a similar issue too and he's had to roll back.

Sorry to hear you had problems Sheldon. Mines been absolutely fine, although it did fail to install using the Windows 10 installer on the taskbar. I ended up using the 'software creation tool' from MS. It not only downloads the Win 10 files, but installs them and allows you to create a bootable dvd for a clean install should you need it. You don't need a product key either when doing this upgrade or even a clean install. It won't ask for one as you are listed on a special server that verifies the authenticity of the software and you are automatically activated. My initial reaction is that it's stunningly good, but we'll see won't we!

Just a footnote to my earlier post as I wasn't completely clear about doing a clean install. If you do a clean install you must have done the upgrade first to an activated Win7 or Win8. By upgrade that means using the media creation tool to download and upgrade your existing OS or using the notification icon on the taskbar to load the upgrade. After that a clean install can be made at anytime and the new OS will activate itself again on the Win10 servers without a product license key having to be entered.

Estate Man, is that still the case if you make a change to the hardware spec (SSD disk) after the initial upgrade though?

I have heard of installs failing to validate after a HDD change, and can still remember a SP2 version of XP deciding it wasnt real after I changed a floppy disk drive!! (old one went short circuit)

Microsoft will tell you the system allows for some changes, but wont give out exactly what.

Been running mine a couple of weeks or so now and the only 'problem' I have had was Firefox would crash it.  As soon as Firefox released 40 it was OK again and hasn't been an issue since.  Went to use the printer last night and had to reinstall it but it did it in seconds and was working fine.  Pleased with it and it is quicker than 7 was.

Ran into my first Win10 problem.

It doesn't have drivers for my stinky cheap Tesco SD card reader.

Haven't spent a lot of time on it and possible I will be able to bodge something.

I've also noticed one peculiarity.

When updates want a restart I'll often delay them then shut the machine down expecting it to finish when I restart the machine.

With Win10 nothing but a restart will work.

If I shut down it doesn't do the work it just comes back up and asks again for a restart. Odd.

Edited by Aspman

I've no interest in going back, everything I've tested in Windows 10 works perfectly well on the Acer W810 tablet. I also have a VM as well on my Mac which I use for testing, its staying there as well.

The whole privacy thing makes me laugh, Googles Android and ChromeOS along with apples iOS has been doing this for ages. The only real concern is Wifi Sense, so that I have disabled whilst all the rest remain fully active.

Exactly.

Apple data mine with the best of them

I simply can't imagine why anyone would want to install Windows 10 unless they are 100% convinced that it will solve some problem or provide something that is not available any other way.

OOH LOOK, IT'S NEW AND SHINY, LET'S JUMP IN!

Some people :no:

You can have old and full of vulnerabilities as well.

Why not run Win98 it does everything you need after all?

One thing I've noticed with Win10 since installing it, wow boot up time is way way faster than Win7, on my machine anyway. It used to take around 2 minutes, maybe longer before I could fully use the PC to browse the net for instance. Now with Win10 I am up and running in 45 secs and that includes having to log in, which I didn't do before. Still a bit new to me and still need to find my way around it all but I think it will stay on my PC.

Edited by MickA

WOW, 2 weeks, you must be KING of the quick come-backs.

If you MUST know what I call them M$, it is because of the shady way they get punters to spend money on new OS by claiming shiny new features will ONLY work if they upgrade. In the past I have got a number of such features to work with XP that were only supposed to work with Vista/Win7.

Which reminds me, I have a few Win3.1 for Workgroups programs I want to check out and see if I can get working under Win10; after all they worked fine on WinXP, and so far I havent found anything that works with XP that doesnt work with Win7.

Win10 problem with card reader solved

Not sure why (and can't really be bothered to find out) but switching from a front USB port to a rear USB port fixed the problem. I guess the fronts were USB1 and rear USB2 or something like that.

After successfully installing Win10 on my HP laptop, it's going along nicely now so it stays.

Not so good news with my missus laptop (Acer) It has all the updates done including SP1 is a valid copy of Win7 and is activated. Everything is as mine was but still no signs of Win10 upgrade. I went onto Microsoft site and downloaded the media creation tool, installed it and away it went to download and upgrade Win7. Thing is 10 hours went by and still hadn't finished configuring the install, it was like it was hanging so I aborted it.

Now we are back up and running, had to reinstall a few more updates so back how it was, Win7. I've had one message saying Win10 failed to install, try again. And another message telling me the Windows7 is not one that can be upgraded, it's Home Premium, so that message is incorrect. Any ideas or just wait a little longer for the upgrade to show in the task bar?

Edited by MickA

• Administrators

I upgraded my surface, works fine. But I don't really use much except chrome and inky.

Also upgraded my laptops' win7 pro disk (cloned it), that seems ok, copes with docking and devices ok. I'v not used it much but I was sorely tempted to try and use it for everything. I did like it and I wasn't finding too many things that weren't working if any. I'm not a power user of windows or mac. I tend to work in virtual machines, consoles and browsers, so hardly ever pushing the edges of driver support etc.

Virtual desktops is good, but it wasn't immediatly obvious how to get it working. On this fedora install I just right click and move to workspace 2 for example... so there's a 'comms' workspace and a 'working' workspace split. Quick than alt tabbing through all. Win10 has this, but I didn't RTFM to figure it out. My measure of good is how long I can go without having to RTFM, if never , then excellent!