Start - Stop when applying the parking brake in auto model

I've got an automatic MY16 Octavia Estate, and I'm finding the start-stop function annoying, I wondered if I was 'doing it wrong' or if this is just how it works (according to the handbook it's probably the latter, but it 'feels' wrong).

Start-Stop works fine as long as my foot is on the brake, but say I'm at a junction and I want to put the parking brake on so I can take my foot off the brake - as soon as I take my foot off the engine kicks in again. As it's an auto, what I expect to happens is put the car into park, applying the parking brake, THEN take my foot off the brake, and for the engine to stay off. But it doesn't. I've tried putting the car into neutral instead of park, and it's the same.

However, once the parking brake is on, if I then press the start-stop button to turn it off manually, and then on again straight away, the engine then stops!

I've not been keeping detailed notes, but I think once after the engine turned back on, then about 5 seconds later it went off again, but honestly I'm not totally sure.

I've got start-stop in my other car (a manual Fiat Panda 4x4), and it does what I expect - into neutral, parking brake on, foot off the brakes, engine stays off.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Difference is the manual part. This is how it works on most auto's (keeping foot on brake part). Only one I've driven that doesn't is Mercedes-Benz. If you push hard on the break it pit the hand brake on. But this is an electric hand brake.

• Like 1

Mine stay off when I put it in park and let go of the brake.

It doesnt fire up again untill I put it in gear and release the brake.

Unless aircon or something makes the engine start again.

• Like 1

Mine stay off when I put it in park and let go of the brake.

It doesnt fire up again untill I put it in gear and release the brake.

Unless aircon or something makes the engine start again.

Mine is the same but, your gotta go into Park before releasing the brake evem slightly. 

• Like 1

i am surprised the handbrake holds the car stationary when its in drive!

i have noticed mine occasionally restarts the engine when i put it into park, not sure why. also start/stop doesn't work on steep hills!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I've just spoken to my wife who also drives the car (probably should have started with her) and she says it works fine for her no problem! We were just in the car, and we cannot work out why it doesn't work with me. A bit more information to clarify - the engine stops as expected when I apply the brake. I then put it into park, applying the parking brake, and as soon as I take my foot off the brake the engine starts again. I tried turning A/C off, didn't seem to make a difference. I can't think what else could be different, it's infuriating! 

i have noticed mine occasionally restarts the engine when i put it into park, not sure why. also start/stop doesn't work on steep hills!

You sure that it starts when you put it in park? Ive notice on mine, that if you move the lever too slow it starts when when passing R.

• Like 1

Not sure I'd be putting it in park, whether the stop go thing works or not, if you get rear ended. It could be a new gearbox required.

• Like 1

Intrigued, and being relatively new to DSG and stop/start, I have just given this a try:

• Press brake pedal firmly enough to activate stop/start - put shifter in P - apply parking brake - remove foot from brake pedal - engine remains stopped.
  • Press brake pedal again, engage D/S - release parking brake - remove foot from brake pedal - engine restarts.

Pretty much the way I would expect it to work...

• Like 1

Intrigued, and being relatively new to DSG and stop/start, I have just given this a try:

• Press brake pedal firmly enough to activate stop/start - put shifter in P - apply parking brake - remove foot from brake pedal - engine remains stopped.
  • Press brake pedal again, engage D/S - release parking brake - remove foot from brake pedal - engine restarts.

Pretty much the way I would expect it to work...

Yup, that's what I'm doing, but every time I do it the engine starts again!

Either the car is not meeting the requirements to keep stop start working or there is a fault. Get the dealer to check it over.

better still, switch it off permanently with vagcom

stop  / start supposed to be fuel saving and good for the environment   :smirk:

but the biggest  fuel users and air polluter's are airplanes,  no stop  / start on them   :D

• Like 1

I've learnt the point in brake travel where the SS kicks in or out, and use that together with the SS on/off button at lights and junctions - and  I'd NEVER, NEVER use an automatic box in Park anywhere other than at end of journey or in a five mile traffic jam, and never at lights/roundabouts/junctions. An ex-police driver drilled that into me when preparing for the IAM test years ago.

• Like 4

I've learnt the point in brake travel where the SS kicks in or out, and use that together with the SS on/off button at lights and junctions - and  I'd NEVER, NEVER use an automatic box in Park anywhere other than at end of journey or in a five mile traffic jam, and never at lights/roundabouts/junctions. An ex-police driver drilled that into me when preparing for the IAM test years ago.

on the Passat, if you take your foot off the brake as soon as you stop,

the stop  / start will never come on   :clap:

i'd still like to disable it permanently with vagcom though,

it can be done on the Octavia but not the Passat   :thumbdown:

• Like 1

but the biggest  fuel users and air polluter's are airplanes,  no stop  / start on them   :D

Hmm, that's an interesting debate, perhaps in the UK and Europe, and historically that may be true.

However I have read investigations where this may not actually be the case globally.

Over the last 30 years or so airplane manufacturers have made huge steps to increase the efficiency of their craft. Fuel is the biggest cost to operators. Load factors have also increased on all flights.

Airlines deliberately overbook flights calculating that there will always be people who do not turn up. Occupancy rates on european flights are typically in the high 90% bracket especially for the "cheap" operators.

Whilst cars have admittedly become more efficient, increased ownership has also had the effect of making journey times longer.

Sitting in a traffic queue is not helpful, hence the push for more Start / stop systems on cars.

Like many on here, I have been caught up in the average camera section of the M3 from time to time, what is most noticeable is the effect it has on fuel economy, I always get the best figures when going through there. It's just so boring!!!

• Like 3

I'd NEVER, NEVER use an automatic box in Park anywhere other than at end of journey or in a five mile traffic jam, and never at lights/roundabouts/junctions.

So it's you who's sitting on the brakes at junctions dazzling all the drivers behind!

maybe it might catch on.......what's the worse that can happen :P

• Like 1

The SS on my 1.6 tdi dsg works on steep hills

Even though I always disengage thr start-stop feature, as JD52 wrote earlier, using it like a manual is what I do:

• When I want to immobilize the car : Press the brake pedal - shift autogear lever to N - pull handbrake
  • When I want to move again : release handbrake - press on brake pedal - shift autogear lever to D/S

In this case, engine stays on, even if start-stop is engaged.

Hope it serves !

• Like 1

'course it can be put in neutral and the handbrake applied - just like a manual :D

Don't know if the stop/start works then though.

an update...

Come to a halt - engine stops - into neutral - apply handbrake - foot off brake - engine stays stopped - foot on brake - into drive - release handbrake - foot off brake - engine starts - magic

• Like 1

an update...

Come to a halt - engine stops - into neutral - apply handbrake - foot off brake - engine stays stopped - foot on brake - into drive - release handbrake - foot off brake - engine starts - magic

So you're the one holding us all up at junctions!