Superb MKIII owners register

just about to join the skoda club, awating delivery of my Red Superb Sportline Estate 150 tdi. only option i think is spare wheel, is leased and on a deal but haven't had the final spec yet, due any day

18 hours ago, penguin17 said:

I'm now the very happy owner of a Sportline 150 TDI hatch in Business Grey. 

Very pleased with the car so far but I collected it on the one day when the rain was relentless and roads were covered in crap.  I'll post some pics once it's dry enough to give the car a good clean. 

Did you get to inspect the car whilst it was dry during handover?

1 hour ago, tigermad said:

Did you get to inspect the car whilst it was dry during handover?

I did, yes.  The dealer put it in the showroom for me which was nice as it will only take 4 cars and people were getting theirs handed over outside under some large Skoda golf umbrella's.

The reg plates were in the process of being swapped whilst I was there as the first ones apparently had a small bubble in them which the salesperson wasn't happy with.  

The salesperson going through the check sheet with me was taken to one side by the business manager and given a few stern words as the car should have had a green Skoda sheet put over it for my arrival.  The business manager then apologised for the oversight.  Didn't spoil anything for me though. 

I have a collection of new detailing products ready to go; unfortunately the weather has other ideas.

• Like 1

@penguin17 No showbiz during my handover. Heck, I'd already driven it twice. The only handover was a big fat cheque in the opposite direction. Still, it was exciting.

I, too, am awaiting a break in the weather, supposedly Monday. I have a new tub of (Rainmaker suggested) Bilt Hamber wax to put my back into.

3 minutes ago, freelunch said:

@penguin17 No showbiz during my handover. Heck, I'd already driven it twice. The only handover was a big fat cheque in the opposite direction. Still, it was exciting.

I, too, am awaiting a break in the weather, supposedly Monday. I have a new tub of (Rainmaker suggested) Bilt Hamber wax to put my back into.

I wasn't expecting anything special TBH and just having the car in the showroom, given the weather, was a nice touch.  

Which BH wax have you gone for @freelunch?  I've got a few BH products and Cleanser Polish with Finis Wax over the top looks great and will add some rich warmth to Corrida red but I think it will be lost on grey so I'm trying some Carlack acrylic and I'll put some FinishKare 1000P over the top.  

27 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I did, yes.  The dealer put it in the showroom for me which was nice as it will only take 4 cars and people were getting theirs handed over outside under some large Skoda golf umbrella's.

The reg plates were in the process of being swapped whilst I was there as the first ones apparently had a small bubble in them which the salesperson wasn't happy with.  

The salesperson going through the check sheet with me was taken to one side by the business manager and given a few stern words as the car should have had a green Skoda sheet put over it for my arrival.  The business manager then apologised for the oversight.  Didn't spoil anything for me though. 

I have a collection of new detailing products ready to go; unfortunately the weather has other ideas.

Hi. I always wondered why some people get a big reveal sheet on handover and some don't. Surely they cars outside under the umbrellas didn't have sheets over them so why did the sales person get told off over yours specifically. Can't wait until mine is ready sheet or no sheet. I am in 2 minds whether to let the dealer do a car wash on it etc first because I will be detailing it as soon as I can myself and I have read horror stories. 

Bilt Hamber Double-Speed Wax. The birds around here are a serious nuisance. I know geese don't roost in trees, but there's something big up there, judging by the size of the evidence.

Just now, freelunch said:

Bilt Hamber Double-Speed Wax. The birds around here are a serious nuisance. I know geese don't roost in trees, but there's something big up there, judging by the size of the evidence.

That's what I intend to use on mine. Then after a month or so use sonax bsd as a top up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, freelunch said:

Double speed wax is meant to be good.  I bet it will look great on yours.   

Have you seen these?:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Auto-Glym-Bird-Dropping-Wipes/dp/B0028HCGFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488706717&sr=8-1&keywords=autoglym+dropping+wipes

I keep a box in my glovebox as we have similar problems.   Bird crap can do serious damage if left to sit on the paint. 

Edit:  Halfords usually sell them too for £6-7 a box

Edited by penguin17

3 minutes ago, tigermad said:

That's what I intend to use on mine. Then after a month or so use sonax bsd as a top up. 

Take a look on Eurocarparts.  I just bought 3 x 750ml BSD bottles as it was on offer.   It's great stuff but a bit grabby to apply;  I'll probs dilute it this time or will just use as a drying aid. 

I also love the smell of BSD. :)

4 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Take a look on Eurocarparts.  I just bought 3 x 750ml BSD bottles as it was on offer.   It's great stuff but a bit grabby to apply;  I'll probs dilute it this time or will just use as a drying aid. 

I also love the smell of BSD. :)

I still have half a massive tub left. I use it on my race blue Octavia and it looks fantastic.

Edited by tigermad
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tigermad said:

I still have half a massive tub left. I use it on my race blue Octavia and it looks fantastic.

I was hoping they'd start doing the Turbo Detailer in a bulk 5ltr size as it's meant to be as good as BSD but not as thick and grabby to apply.   Sheeting is crazy good! 

What process do you guys follow when apply paint protection from start to finish i.e. wash, dry, clay, protection products etc? Also my dealer is coating the car with lifeshine before I collect it. Anyone any experience with lifeshine? Is it any use and how long does it typically last?

• Like 1

I picked up my ex demonstrator Sportline 190 TDI DSG a month ago, having had 3 Mazda 6 estates over the past 13 years and I must say how pleased I am with the Skoda. The ride is similar to the Mazda, in that it's firm, but I quite like that. The Columbus system is excellent and far superior to my 2013 Mazda system, although not having speed camera warnings could be a problem in the future, but I hope not! Perhaps the warnings can be set up, but I haven't found it yet.

I really like the DSG box and when in ECO mode the fact that when you lift of the throttle the box doesn't try to slow you down too much. On a run down to Devon I was getting about 51 mpg, which is much better than the auto Mazda that I had.

The build quality is very good and so far no rattles or unwanted noises have appeared. It will be interesting to see how this car performs over the next few years and whether I will be a permanent Skoda convert. 

As far as washing and waxing is concerned, I use Auto Glym shampoo after a power wash, and will use AG Super resin polish when the weather improves, but will be interested in others experiences with alternative products. I notice on this forum there are more posts about washing and waxing than problems with the cars, unlike the Mazda 6 forum:biggrin:

• Like 1

@Rogermel Another ex-demo driver! Very clever man. The only problem I have with my Sportline is I can't seem to find enough reasons to drive it. Living in central London, the public transport is too good, finding parking is difficult, especially with a car as long as mine.

For detailing, you may like to visit the "Styling and Car Care" thread. Loads of advice there.

21 hours ago, CTRob said:

What process do you guys follow when apply paint protection from start to finish i.e. wash, dry, clay, protection products etc? Also my dealer is coating the car with lifeshine before I collect it. Anyone any experience with lifeshine? Is it any use and how long does it typically last?

I picked mine up with Lifeshine last week and the finish is excellent - too early to say how long it lasts. It came with a whole suitcase of Autoglym products so I won't be buying anything else for quite some time. My last car, from the same dealer, had Diamondbrite applied and I was very pleased with that over the 5 years I had the car.

BTW the Autogylm suitcase fits perfectly in the left hand cubby of the boot.

• Like 1

I've just put a deposit down on a Superb Estate 150 Manual SE-L with heated screen and washer nozzles and front iso-fix.  Just waiting for a build date but have been told to expect about 10weeks...

• Like 2

Silver 1.4 SE L Superb Manual, registered 1st March 17.  Only niggle I have is the lack of front parking sensor - it has adaptive cruise, but no front parking sensor - even my wife's 16 plate Fabia 1.2 SE has that - much to her amusement!

On Sunday, March 05, 2017 at 10:05, CTRob said:

Rob, 

If it was my car I definitely wouldn't let your dealer apply lifeshine or any form of Polish or wax for that matter.

With the best will in the world they won't give your car the time and care  it takes to apply a professional long life coating , more than likely apply without due care and attention and put swirls all over your paintwork.

I would try and claw back the cost of the lifeshine protection from them and either go to a local professional detailer and get them to do a full protection detail or buy the products yourself and apply in your own time.

I wouldn't even let them wash it tbh, I collected mine with some of the transport protective sheets still on the car.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SportlineBri said:

Rob, 

If it was my car I definitely wouldn't let your dealer apply lifeshine or any form of Polish or wax for that matter.

With the best will in the world they won't give your car the time and care  it takes to apply a professional long life coating , more than likely apply without due care and attention and put swirls all over your paintwork.

I would try and claw back the cost of the lifeshine protection from them and either go to a local professional detailer and get them to do a full protection detail or buy the products yourself and apply in your own time.

I wouldn't even let them wash it tbh, I collected mine with some of the transport protective sheets still on the car.

+1 re the lifeshine.  I know a number of people who are unhappy with it.  Dealer tried to offer it to me as well but I didn't get it.

On 3/19/2017 at 22:15, Superb170 said:

+1 re the lifeshine.  I know a number of people who are unhappy with it.  Dealer tried to offer it to me as well but I didn't get it.

You guys have me worried now. Surely if they mess it up I have grounds to have it corrected?

I work in a dealer  where they sell this stuff.   I wouldn't pay for it.  I think its around £400  or so.  Its  just a posh polish  and put on by the cleaners and takes  them about an hour. No more.   You can do the same yourself by spending £25  on  autoglym  at Halfords and a couple of hours work. 

• Like 1