The Briskoda drive recorder video footage thread part 2

TeflonTom

7 hours ago, Ally_bassman said:

True, I should have been further over and made my intentions clear. People pulling out into live traffic is a commom occurance at that roundabout as you know! I think getting rid of the trees in the middle would help.

A560 at M60 J25? If so, it's a big roundabout, but I don't see the trees being that near the island on Bing. Having switched from overhead to "streetview", someone's been building a folly there though?

Yes. It's more the visibility splay for me.

Plus the size of the roundabout means people can be travelling around it at 35-40mph typically. Which drivers looking to join often don't take account of.

• Like 1

But looking at this again, the issue has been caused due to Ally's lane selection and how late the decision was left, before moving across to the position to take the M60. The Kia has gone because they have assumed you're taking the exit after the M60 join. Following A560. 

If that had been the case, there was room for you all in that scenario.

A560.jpg

3 hours ago, Ally_bassman said:

To play devils advocate...

As i'm on the roundabout and have right of way, negating the mistakes I made, the other cars should not have pulled into my path regardless as to which exit i was coming off at?

I would say you have right of way, relative to the lane you're in. You cannot, especially for a roundabout of that size, have right of way over the whole thing...

40 minutes ago, Wardy said:

I would say you have right of way, relative to the lane you're in. You cannot, especially for a roundabout of that size, have right of way over the whole thing...

You want a big roundabout, fire up maps, and type "Alexandria Station". It sits in the middle of the largest roundabout in Western Europe!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

You want a big roundabout, fire up maps, and type "Alexandria Station". It sits in the middle of the largest roundabout in Western Europe!

To be fair, that's more of a one way system than a roundabout.

@Wardy - Apart from a station that will accommodate a 6 car EMU (or did; the platform may have been shortened since the track was single-lined), and the car park, there's also a terrace of houses and used to be more.

1 minute ago, Rustynuts said:

To be fair, that's more of a one way system than a roundabout.

I used to live near there; it is signposted and road marked as a roundabout (ok with entries and exits in the middle as well as the outside).

The Keir Roundabout on the A9 has a whole thread to it's self somewhere on Briskoda and it is still as bad as road markings as all but gone most of the time.

So care and extra care is needed but imagine you have entered and exited without any tooting or near misses then a HGV from Forfar tries to lay pavers on your vehicle.

On a previous subject here and Bus Speeds and limiters and different speeds in Scotland on dual carriageways.

I was filming Mega Busses and City Busses between Keir Roundabout and Broxden Roundabout Perth at 70 mph on this Dual Carriageway, then stopped bothering as it was obvious that it was so common that the Speed Limit for many is 70mph for these coaches over the 23 miles of average speed cameras.

2 hours ago, Wardy said:

And I did have to smile that you've captured the other side of this, almost perfectly on another day! In the other video, you were playing the part of the Juke. The truck being the Kia ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PzXyrVmyJk

Haha I know! It was the Mrs driving at the time.....

Case closed, lesson learnt! :-)

• Like 1

Going down the A1(M) we spot a shiny and rather cool looking Airstream trailer.

Approaching a roundabout, I notice a broken down car in lane 1. I need to turn left so I move over allowing space for the Audi and BMW in front of me to move over. Instead, they both drive up to the broken down car, despite that car having it's hazard warning lights on!

Turning right at a crossroads, a stupid chav on a bike goes straight through a red light in front of me. I know these people don't have brains but this was completely ridiculous!

A Fiat Punto overtakes a Land Rover Defender, that had just pulled out of a junction, over hatch markings before a right-hand junction. Luckily the Defender wasn't turning right but turning left into a layby merely 10 yards up the road!

A van decides to move into lane 2 for no reason (nothing to overtake, going too slow to catch up to the truck ahead). I decide to just keep going and undertake, showing my annoyance as I pass.

Coming up to a cyclist, a van and a 4x4 go round the cyclist even when there is oncoming traffic, looked way too close to both the cyclist and the oncoming traffic. I slow down a bit behind the cyclist, check the road is clear, then give them as much room as I can when overtaking.

• 2 weeks later...

dan4291,   'Van pulled out for no reason',  or because they saw a sign for a circle and their direction of travel and some muppet undertakes and accelerates and on the left there is a sign to warn drivers of pedestrians crossing. 

Edited by Awayoffski

17 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

dan4291,   'Van pulled out for no reason',  or because they saw a sign for a circle and their direction of travel and some muppet undertakes and accelerates and on the left there is a sign to warn drivers of pedestrians crossing. 

The roundabout for the direction of travel which the van appears to be taking is nearly 1.5 miles up the road. The sign is an indicator of the route for back into Darlington via Burtree Gate, not a "Get in lane" indicator.

Edited by Rustynuts

19 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Do you know that if you are not a local driver. If I drive that route now will I know it is 2 miles up the road?

Hard to comment properly, without a fuller clip being shown. But by the fact it's a dual carriageway and a 70mph limit, I would expect the roundabout is fully marked with all the available exits, with that sign being the appropriate distance back from the hazard (not just a route indication back to another destination, due to the central reservation).

Also the fact of local geography; from the video it appears to be a flat section of road with good visibility. Given the roundabout isn't in sight, I'd suggest the move by the van was too early. If indeed that was the reason for the lane change, and they didn't just move because they fancied it! :)

19 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Hard to comment properly, without a fuller clip being shown. But by the fact it's a dual carriageway and a 70mph limit, I would expect the roundabout is fully marked with all the available exits, with that sign being the appropriate distance back from the hazard (not just a route indication back to another destination, due to the central reservation).

Also the fact of local geography; from the video it appears to be a flat section of road with good visibility. Given the roundabout isn't in sight, I'd suggest the move by the van was too early. If indeed that was the reason for the lane change, and they didn't just move because they fancied it! :)

The roundabout is fully marked, yes. Over a mile further on. The sign is simply to show that the turning for Burtree Gate cannot be accessed from that side of the carriageway, and you need to go along to the roundabout and come back to where you are on the opposite carriageway to go off at that junction.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dan4291 said:

A Honda CRV using the right lane on a roundabout, then decides to go straight on, forcing me to grab their attention!

What actually caught my attention (other than a possibly not local driver being caught out by a dual carriageway entry to the roundabout and single carriageway exit) was the Ashtraymax starting to line up for the RH lane and then changing "his" mind.

Cutting it close

Things to think about - the dashcam (as all do) doesn't put into perspective how damn close this must have been for the learner driver in front of the Picasso, also, the car being overtaken did not help, you can see he was speeding up to catch up the van, he should have slowed as it could have made the situation much worse

Excuse my French! I think this new 17 plate Octavia (face lift) was expecting me to try and cut across the cross roads in front of him, as he decided to pull out quickly in front of a fast moving bike - exactly why I had no intention of pulling out having clocked him.

The bike had to slam his brakes on - it is a 60mph road. Not sure you'll make it out, but the biker glared into the drivers window as he went past. 

Edited by ToffeeMRD