Anyone fitted a carcam?

fellside17

Fitted a Mobius to mine. Nothing fancy with it, no GPS etc but reliable, good quality video & it just works. Used a psu with it that turns on with the ignition rather than rely on the built in battery. Actually changed the standard battery for a much smaller one as the standard ones have been know to explode in hot weather. Has been running for 18 months without problem. Makes a brilliant witness should you need it.

I use a Garmin Virb Action cam, mainly because I bought it to use when sailing and also because it has GPS built in and an in-car mode and lasts 3 hours between charges but you can buy a in-car charging lead and it will last forever. It also delivers brilliant video quality which means that going back through videos you can see vehicle number plates in case of an accident or you need it for some reason. The only thing that is negative, the suction mount isn't very strong so when it gets hot, it expands and falls off the windscreen.

Should have said in previous post. If you go the Mobius route make sure you get the wide angle less option and a genuine Mobius camera, there are ripoffs around.

• Like 1

I know i'm not a CitiGo owner but another vote for the Mobius here.... I fitted one in the SuperB and it's a great bit of kit for the price. I think for absolutely everything i needed (Including a crimping tool and crimps) the grand total was something like £86. I hard wired it into the fusebox area rather than using a power fed from the cigarette lighter etc... There are some pictures of my install in my Superb project thread. http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/321367-waveydaveys-superb-twindoor/page-4#entry4130462

I got the camera from Banggood.com from their UK warehouse at the time they were cheapest UK seller of original Mobius cameras and delivery was free next day i think.

Next base 101 fitted by Halfords.

They hid the wiring beautifully in the headlining, used a separate power cable to the cigarette lighter one supplied (so I can transport the camera to other cars still) and it powers on and off with the ignition.

I have the camera located right up at the very top of the screen, just to the right of the rear view mirror - using a smooth adhesive circular pad so it can achieve suction over the nobly sunshade bobbles on the glass in that area.

Nextbase is a really great system - small, clear and easy to use.

It's useful when someone is driving like a **** and you simply point to the camera...

Fitted a Mobius to mine. Nothing fancy with it, no GPS etc but reliable, good quality video & it just works. Used a psu with it that turns on with the ignition rather than rely on the built in battery. Actually changed the standard battery for a much smaller one as the standard ones have been know to explode in hot weather. Has been running for 18 months without problem. Makes a brilliant witness should you need it.

You can swap the battery for a supercap and then there's no LIPO to cause a fire risk. I do it as a matter of course.

• Like 1

You can swap the battery for a supercap and then there's no LIPO to cause a fire risk. I do it as a matter of course.

Yes, I tried that but unfortunately my car is quite often not used for 3 or 4 days at a time, and I found the super capacitor was not capable of keeping the RTC going for that amount of time. Having to keep setting the time & date was a pita. Changing the stock battery for a 50ma one solved the problem. The new battery is much smaller and can be glued to a piece of aluminium to act as an extra heat sink.

Was considering the mobius as it is very small but looking at the manual for it, it seems that it can corrupt files and get damaged in a hot car 

"you should never leave the camera turned on where the surrounding temperature exceeds ~47°C (118°F)

High temperatures will also damage the internal LiPo battery. "

Think I will get one that is actually made for cars, not modified to fit. 

mio mivue 518 sounds quite good. 

I don't know what you think, but it seems mean that a lot of insurance companies still will not offer discount if you have one - maybe the insurance price hike is not really due to bogus claims and is being used as an excuse to charge more.

I have NCD protection so really a dashcam is doing the companies work for them and not going to save me money ( apart from excess)

All cameras suffer heat issues in hot cars (go searhc for Blackvues, in particular), as they all use LIPOs so the problem isn't unique to the Mobius. It is well designed for cars and has specific software settings for them, so its not just a bodge.

NCD is pretty useless. If you have an accident, your policy will be loaded anyway. The cam is useful in proving guilt and more importantly, resolving the situation quickly (even against you), so your claim doesn't hang for years while they argue whose fault it is. It can also reduce claims or at least prove the other party is lying if they say you rearended them and their whole family goes for compensation, when the video clearly shows only a driver in the car.

Anyone looking for some unbiased advice re car cams could do a lot worse than look at Techmoan's website. If  you look at any of his youtube reviews (recommended) you may find his voice a little boring but the content is usually very worthwhile.

Amazon seem to have a lot of G1W's  of different types and brands? 

Monkon , bluesky and E-prance seem to be some of the names. 

The G1w seems to use a battery but the G1W-c uses a supposedly safer capacitor . 

Which one did you get Wizzi ?

I got the G1W(H), I think its got a wider camera to the normal one, maybe 140degrees as opposed to 120 degrees?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HMNFWYW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I'd planned to get a UK seller for speed of delivery, but with rushing, kids screaming etc I managed to get a Chinese seller, although it did arrive in about 10 days.

I like the fact that I only spent £30 so it obviously stays in the car, and everytime I start it records, I did try using an old smartphone, but the faff with connecting and switching on etc meant that I didn't bother for a lot of journeys, and in my mind that kind of defeats the object.

Edited by wizzi

Thanks to all for your help and comments. 

I have settled for a mobius wide angle camera and am getting the capacitor replacement for the battery. 

By sods law with a bit of luck it will be a waste of money due to never needing to use the video :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all for your help and comments. 

I have settled for a mobius wide angle camera and am getting the capacitor replacement for the battery. 

By sods law with a bit of luck it will be a waste of money due to never needing to use the video :-)

I went weeks before having something funny / annoying happen when it seemed to happen every few days before i fitted the camera. :)