Diesel or Petrol Skoda.... Help!

The op didn't restrict the choice to vRS models though do there's a range of engine choices available

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Yes I know, I was using the message I quoted about the VRS as a good example of my point.

Like I said in my earlier post, the driving compromises of the diesel are less important if you're not after a performance oriented model so the thresholds where the savings are worthwhile may be lower

• Like 1

Some great arguments for or against either fuel type. Exactly what these forums are for imho and will help the op in his decision. I'll offer my ten penneth here too. I'm sort of in the petrol camp only because of the lack of miles for the op ( and me ! ). But i wouldn't say like previous that a diesel is a compromise. I've always been a petrolhead from riding superbikes in my youff but i must say this vrs tdi is a very impressive machine. Mapped anyway. Long journeys are where these cars are excellent at though. I'm averaging just over 40mpg which isn't great just because I'm only a few miles from work and it never gets up to temp. I then find I'm having to take it for a run on my days off due to the dpf ( source of all my frustration ). It's for this reason why I've decided to go back to petrol. I'm glad I've owned a diesel if only for a few months because i wouldn't entertain one for a lot of years ( tractor engine in a car eh ) but having just driven a Leon fr petrol back to back with mine mine has it licked i reckon although the power delivery couldn't be more different. One is low down punch in the face the other is top end rush. Still can't decide which one i prefer!! A quick responsive petrol is a fantastic thing though.

Forgot to say above though, i wouldn't touch one with a dpf. Having to take it for runs totally defeated the object of buying a diesel in the first place to save on fuel. So for me that rules out all new diesels after 08 or 09 iirc. And getting stung for a exhaust sensor wiped out my personal fuel saving so it hasn't been brilliant for me.

IMHO petrol all the way.

My and my wife journey similar to you and are on our second 1.6 and 2.0 Liter FSI, first 2 owned over 10 years no major problems at the moment second ones owned over 3 years no problem and up to + 40 mpg each.

However the choice is yours at the end of the day.

Whatever you purchase just enjoy.

I do think petrol is coming back into peoples thoughts for purchase now i believe because of the serious bills when a diesel goes wrong. Dmf/dpf/injector faults certainly being the major ones. Turbo problems as well. Plus small capacity turbo petrol engines are very economical. A work mate just traded in his Leon diesel and bought a Focus 1.0 ecoboost. 30 quid a year road tax he says it runs on fresh air. I've been a passenger in that car and it's fast enough for anyone! The little 1.4 tsi turbo is a nice engine in the Golf too. Petrol is fighting back!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree that it's coming back. These emission standards are making everything complicated, especially for diesels. Who knows what we'll see when some EURO7 or EURO8 comes. Maybe some 2 or 3k worth filters here, there and everywhere...

Petrol cars cope much easier with that.

• Like 1

I drove a 1.0T Fiesta Ecoboost, which has got a little 3 cylinder petrol engine giving 100bhp and I have to admit it was brilliant - and it does ~60MPG. if I was in the market for a fairly new runabout, I'd go for one of them. 

I can't help but wonder if sticking a massive turbo on a petrol engine takes away some of the reliability benefit you get over a diesel though. Surely a turbo on a petrol engine is just as likely to fail as on a diesel? 

as you can see from my fuelly signature my car (still only 1500 miles done) is averaging 44 mpg, on a run it returns 50 (maxidot figure), I expect it to improve as the engine loosens up

I drove a 1.0T Fiesta Ecoboost, which has got a little 3 cylinder petrol engine giving 100bhp and I have to admit it was brilliant - and it does ~60MPG. if I was in the market for a fairly new runabout, I'd go for one of them.

I can't help but wonder if sticking a massive turbo on a petrol engine takes away some of the reliability benefit you get over a diesel though. Surely a turbo on a petrol engine is just as likely to fail as on a diesel?

Yeah great little engine that and it sounds quite nice too. My mates Focus is 125bhp and it goes very well. As for turbos it always adds more complication due to all the extra pipe work involved, turbo unit itself plus coolers and yes that's the same wether it's a petrol or diesel.

Same dilema I had last year..had been driving a 2 ltr Octavia for the last 8 years, but when it came time to replace it I decided to go petrol, (put off by DPF problems)....so now have had a 1.4 TSi for the last year....very impressed..and so quite and smooth compared to the old "tractor" I keep thinking the engine has stopped. Currently getting about 55 mpg (tank to tank..not computer), but need to drive steady....otherwise about 45 mpg.....

Edited by Stubod
  • Like 1

I've has my VRS diesel for nearly 2 years.. my Mrs always pops to shops goes round town does mostly little journey then ocassionally it does a big trip to wales.but Hever had an issue with DPF and Ive only done 10 thousand miles in 2 years..

I am in a quandary over what to get for my next car, Diesel or Petrol..

The garage that repairs my current car resonantly says stay away from Diesel! DPF's nightmare etc etc etc, but on the other side I see lots of people driving about with no problems at all with their DPF's.

I guess it's all down to the driving I do, typically my Commute consists of a 30 minute 9 mile commute one way, (about 20 miles each day in total) as for the roads I am driving on, its no city driving at all where I am typically averaging 50-70 mph with the odd 30 mph through villages. 

Apart from the daily commute, we do occasional distance day trips occasionally motorway's, trips to Europe etc.. 

This is what has got me thinking, surely DPF problems stem from the vast majority of stop/start traffic commuting that people do on a daily basis??? I am not totally convinced my driving is that.

Opinions?

Hey crocks can you give more info on how much you want to spend and what models you are actually thinking of getting ? as the dpf is only on the vrs tdi and scout/4x4 tdi on the mk2 range people are giving quotes for econemy on mk3 octavias and brand new cars and its missing the point for petrol or diesel on a MK2 as the original question asks tell us what you actually want .   

Hey crocks can you give more info on how much you want to spend and what models you are actually thinking of getting ? as the dpf is only on the vrs tdi and scout/4x4 tdi on the mk2 range people are giving quotes for econemy on mk3 octavias and brand new cars and its missing the point for petrol or diesel on a MK2 as the original question asks tell us what you actually want .

Hi

Budget is up to 9k for low mileage Octavia as new as possible as I want to keep it for a long time

Jc

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Euro 6 is here already. Came into force on 1st September 2015.

We have some euro 6 trucks at my work they all have dps fitted due to being propane gas tankers they have a switch to turn off the dpf for when in a oil refinery or loading unloading area .

IMHO

Most people assume diesel is infinitely cheaper.... more mpg, lower tax..... without doing the maths for their partcular case

A mate bought a derv, despite living 4 miles from work!

I remember the looks of disgust I got when I bought my Octavia 1.8 TSI.... "You bought a petrol"??

Despite the awful and unjust issue of the so called tensioner failure all   VAG chain cam cars are now to be avoided at all costs it seems

Whatever makes you happy I guess...

I love squeezing the last drop out of my Octy and have seen 50mpg on a few runs all from a 160 petrol engine

Mines actually more like 200 + BHP with a remap

If you read too many negative stories you would never fly or eat red meat I guess

Alcohol is bad... one minute its good for you

Just enjoy, do what you want and to hell with it lol

• Like 1