Convertible. EOS, Golf, Saab 9-3 or....?

Phil-E

Diesel convertible? That just seems wrong to me!

If you're not going to be doing many miles per year then the difference in running costs shouldn't be that much, and you can be sure you'll never have a DPF to worry about.

I haven't read all of the thread but have you looked at the Volvo and BMW options as well? It would be between those and a Saab for me.

I know I've had the same thoughts but the difference between a diesel and petrol economy on these is pretty big and with both petrol and diesel being the same price at the pumps there are no savings to be had there. We just don't want to end up doing a long drive out somewhere and be stopping all the time to re-fuel. Plus once you're on the move you won't hear it.

We've looked at the newer model C70 in both 2.0 and D5 versions. They are lovely cars but finding one in budget and without mega miles on the clock is the issue. Plus they have a funny gearbox on it called Geartronic that's a manual box shifting electronically mated to a torque converter and can be a little problematic. Or there's the powershift which is a dual clutch gearbox but not sure I trust it as much as a DSG as I don't think it has lubricated clutches like the DSG.

Should be nice that Phil. Nice comfy Saab seats and a well put together interior.

And for the DPF, you could always have the internals removed.... ;)

I've been doing some research and it seems that these engines don't have a pressure sensor on the DPF themselves but it is located in the exhaust manifold near the engine. The advantage of this being that you can just drill 3 or 4 holes through the innards of the DPF without causing the light to come on. The car is also still able to complete DPF regens without any problems.

I am sure that the Saab twin turbo 9-3 convertible I had was a rogue car and the garage could never cure the DPF issues.  Sadly it ruined the experience for me but I am not saying I wouldn't have another one as I think they are still one of the best looking rag tops out there and they were comfortable as well.  Even the dash looked stylish and made the car a pleasant place to be. 

Can't say I am that bothered about whether a rag top is diesel or petrol as all the newer engines are very quiet in comparison to the diesel engines of old.  I can honestly say I never find the engine in our Golf to be intrusive the the top up or down.

My only word of warning would be make sure you look into some form of warranty for the car or leave sufficient out by for any problems as they are getting to be a little bit old now.

• 1 month later...

Coming back to this topic as we still haven't got a convertible... but we're getting closer... I hope!

What kind of driving were you doing in your Saab twin turbo?

We have found a nice looking one that's the aero spec so xenons and a few nice extras like a pioneer app radio/sat-nav/reversing camera but I can't help but keep thinking about the DPF. Apparently the TTiD has a re-designed EGR so doesn't suffer the same as the TiD.

We did test drive a red 9-3 Vector Sport 1.9 TiD last week that we found in York. We were very impressed with the ride comfort, the smoothness of the gearbox and the power on tap (it was "just" the 150bhp version). But they're asking a little much for it and we would prefer to have some more toys like xenons and sat-nav.

I have now listed the Octavia for sale as we realise we don't need 2 cars at all.

We did test drive a red 9-3 Vector Sport 1.9 TiD last week that we found in York. We were very impressed with the ride comfort, the smoothness of the gearbox and the power on tap (it was "just" the 150bhp version). But they're asking a little much for it and we would prefer to have some more toys like xenons and sat-nav.

The Saab satnav can be expensive to update the maps. And difficult/impossible to upgrade the ICE system. If you're keeping a Saab on your shortlist, I'd leave satnav off the "must have" list and concentrate on engine, history, condition, etc.

Coming back to this topic as we still haven't got a convertible... but we're getting closer... I hope!

What kind of driving were you doing in your Saab twin turbo?

We have found a nice looking one that's the aero spec so xenons and a few nice extras like a pioneer app radio/sat-nav/reversing camera but I can't help but keep thinking about the DPF. Apparently the TTiD has a re-designed EGR so doesn't suffer the same as the TiD.

I have now listed the Octavia for sale as we realise we don't need 2 cars at all.

It had a daily journey of 12 miles each way which was a mixture of NSL and about 3 or 4 miles in town traffic.  It certainly should not have had the problems it did and the garage were unable to cure it.  I am confident that it would have been a one off and it certainly wouldn't stop me from having another one.  In fact have been looking only the other day.

I really should have persisted with the car and made the garage fix it which of course they would have done in time but I am not renowned for my patience and that resulted in me letting go of a fantastic looking car that I loved driving. 

I would agree about the sat nav.  Any in car sat nav will have the problem of needing to be updated which will inevitably cost and many of them are not as good as after market ones.

I would agree about the sat nav.  Any in car sat nav will have the problem of needing to be updated which will inevitably cost and many of them are not as good as after market ones.

Got an ad for my old TomTom yesterday £20 for a years updates.

Dread to think what the car will be when it's out of warranty.

I bought a new sat nav just over a year ago to use when I was coach driving.  Used it the other week in the car and it was rubbish.  Took me way out of the way to get to my destination and you just go with it thinking it knows best but then you can tell you have just gone around in a massive arc to end back up on the road you left. :devil:   I had one in a Volvo V50 and it would only come up out of the dash when it felt like it! :notme:

Right. Update time!

We finally bought a convertible! Yay.

Saab 9-3 Aero

1.9 TTiD (180bhp and 295lb-ft of torque)

6 speed auto

19" wheels

Xenon headlights

Rear parking sensors

Dual zone climate

Heated leather seats

Multi function steering wheel (with paddle gear shift)

Pioneer app-radio with Bluetooth, DAB and reversing camera (receipt from last year for over £1,200.00 for this to be fitted!)

It's had the DPF removed (it's still physically there but been gutted).

Recently had a new EGR valve fitted too (a bit of a weak point on these engines).

Just had a new cambelt and water pump.

It really shifts when you put your foot down! Only smokes a little too :)

It needs a good clean. It's been well looked after but not had a proper deep clean and polish for a while.

Gave it a quick wash and rubbed down a couple of scuffs on the body but will get the machine polisher on it at some point.

There's a couple of marks that need touching up one on the bumper and on the doors where the rubber has rubbed on the corners. The drivers seat bolster also has some wear to it. But we got it for a good price and were willing to accept these and I'll sort them myself.

It did over 50mpg driving back from Middlesbrough. Very happy.

20160808_135950_zpsxqrcbdky.jpg

20160807_135223_zpsqo8p2dzu.jpg

• Like 1

I had the use of one of those for a week a while ago. Loved it. I preferred the coloured lenses on the rear though, rather than the clear ones, but on silver they look right strangely enough.

It is a lovely car. Feels special while driving around. Going to see family at the weekend on the coast so hoping for nice weather to get the top down again.

You can operate the roof at speeds of up to 18mph and you can also put it down using the key fob which is pretty cool!

It just seemed to tick more boxes and after having a look at an Eos the boot space with the roof down is just dire on them compared to the Saab!

I had the use of one of those for a week a while ago. Loved it. I preferred the coloured lenses on the rear though, rather than the clear ones, but on silver they look right strangely enough.

They switched to clear lenses on the facelift (2008 onwards). And yes they look nice on this colour. They stand out a bit on darker colours. The brushed silver trim across the boot and grille also blends in nicer.

• Like 1

Hope your roof mechanism is in good order – my brother in law had one of those and the roof motor / pump unit failed within a few weeks…   fortunately he managed to persuade the seller to fix it – as a new one with fitting was a small fortune…

Very nice indeed, Phil. My two Saabs were on LB plates, that's Wimbledon. You'll see many LBs around, not just down south. IIRC there's a corporate leasing company there that was the first registered keeper on both mine, an 04 and a 54.

I've got Saab's official used motors catalogue as a PDF, if you want a copy then send me a PM and I'll email it over, it's just over 5mb. It contains full specs, tech data, trim, standard kit, etc. for everything from 2000-2008, including yours. Real anorak stuff.

Nice one Phil. Glad you're sorted with one.

There'll be a big old motor for that roof mechanism, so I'd refrain from running it without the engine running!

Also price up a battery replacement and spec, so you're prepared when the time comes :)

• Like 1

Nice one Phil. Glad you're sorted with one.

There'll be a big old motor for that roof mechanism, so I'd refrain from running it without the engine running!

Also price up a battery replacement and spec, so you're prepared when the time comes :)

It's OK... Found a receipt from a few thousand miles ago for a new battery so it should be fine. I imagine putting the roof down uses less power anyway which may explain why you can only put it down with the remote.

Wardy!!!! You jinxed me!

Went to start it this morning and it just turned a few times and died!

Jump started it from the Octavia but it still only turned a couple of times then died.

Got my multi-meter out and was only getting 12v even with the jump leads attached which didn't seem right.

Got a spanner and removed the terminals, gave them a good wiggle and tightened them right up... then suddenly I've got 14v and it fired on the first turn! Phew.

It's clearly a brand new battery and a genuine one too but they've obviously not tightened it up enough or it's worked it's way loose.

Still surprised at how quick this thing gets going. Overtaking is a doddle!

• Like 2

Glad all is well Phil!

Just remember a mate having loads of issues with an E36 328i and a power roof. Was all down to him mucking about with the ability to raise/lower the roof without the engine running! ;)

And the weight/spec of the cabrio battery, compared to the E36 coupe was noticeable...

I put the roof down with the remote sometimes but always put it back up with the engine still running.

It must be a pretty hefty motor as it's all hydraulic powered. Add on top of that running heated seats etc and cranking over a hefty diesel and it's a big ask for the battery!

Still surprised at how quick this thing gets going. Overtaking is a doddle!

A long time ago, someone on Top Gear described a car's acceleration as 'like something had got hold of the horizon and dragged it towards you' (or words to that effect).  I had a Saab Aero two cars ago and it was driving that made me appreciate what a good description it was.

Like the look of your 9-3 Phil B) 

Gaz 

I put the roof down with the remote sometimes but always put it back up with the engine still running.

It must be a pretty hefty motor as it's all hydraulic powered. Add on top of that running heated seats etc and cranking over a hefty diesel and it's a big ask for the battery!

Our EOS is too old to have the open & close on the key feature, but we "always" have the engine running when open / closing.

The steel & glass roof probably weighs more than your fabric top too.

I fitted the biggest battery (77ah) that I could last year, just as a precaution!  

I'm happy with the EOS's boot space, but its difficult to access it with the roof down. Not a problem on a touring holiday, 'cos all the "need it in a hurry" stuff goes on th back seat / footwell, but if we are doing a big shop, then the roof stays up.

Glad you like your purchase, it's nice to have a drop-head, especially in sunny weather, as it is now.

Wear & hat & keep your hair on, DC.