Spark plugs for MK2 Fabia vRS?

Smith2191

Switching back to fuel which has been good and reliable would be my first step. I doubt they'll be making anything useful out of those intermittent misfire logs. Unless of-course something is physically worn/damaged which is very rare. Please do update. I hate when people start problem threads and then just disappear without letting everybody know what the outcome was.

The last fill up was with Super unleaded V+ I think at local Shell garage and it has been running crap since!!! Previously to this just common unleaded used.

Some time ago, there was a thread here about someone who believed that they suffered problems as a result of changing from lower RON fuel to 99 RON - I can't remember the exact details. The seemingly reasonable conclusion to which they came was that it takes time for the ECU to adjust to the change in RON.

What sometimes happens is that someone puts in the Recommended or better octane fuel and gives it some beans,

Supercharger & Turbo charger between 2,400 & 3,500 rpm and that is enough for a spark plug already on its way out to be misfiring.  It is good that you get a warning if it does show 1 or both lights, you can back off,

check the Codes, but misfires may not show, but check the plugs and see they are still holding up, 

and one tip is not that far gone that it could break off.

(98 Octane / Super is the recommended fuel for these engines by the manufacturer.

As shown inside the Filler Flap.)

Maybe it was 'SeaGoat' that had the issue after usually using 95 Octane.

The car is now back with me and I have had the faults rectified. There were a number of things wrong with the car. The DTC had logged a misfire on cylinders 1 & 4 and a gear box speed sensor fault. A pipe was dismounted from boost intake pipe (don't understand this one) and spark plugs not tight enough in block. They took out spark plugs checked them and then re tightened them to the correct torque. They also refitted the pipe. They deleted the DTC's and found engine very lumpy on test drive. Visual inspection and DTc check found wire at boost pressure sensor snapped. Repaired the wire. They then re secured the gearbox speed sensor as the bracket had broken. Deleted DTC's rechecked after road test all ok.

Now having read the engineers report there is no mention of a coil pack but the guy in the garage did say that they were going to fit a new coil pack on one of the cylinders which one he didn't say.

The car is running way better than before. Picks up speed quickly the same as when I had just bought it. It doesn't misfire at idle and through the rev range like before. Due to the misfire I probably didn't notice as much the vagueness in the gearbox which only became apparent when the engine was firing on all four cylinders.

The engineer had also noted that the front discs need changing at some point as they are corroding and a noisy bearing on the off side (which I knew about but thought the engine was a little more important to get sorted first).

Thanks everyone for the advice.

• Like 2

I'm bumping this for advice prior to buying spark plugs for my son's Ibiza Bocanegra, a 2011 1.4tsi that shares the same CAVE engine as the mk2 Vrs, although I will also be buying plugs for our car as well.

On another thread I noted that George (goneoffski) reckons VAG changed the type of plugs they fitted around 2 years ago, I'm now confused as to whether or not the Denso or NGK ones specified on sparkplug.co.uk are still suitable for use, and if so if I should ask our mechanic guy to alter the gap setting as he fits them?

I'm looking at either of these, but noted that others have fitted NGK7's, and wondered if I'm buying the right ones.

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/denso-spark-plug-skj20cr-a8

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/denso-iridium-spark-plug-vk20

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ngk-standard-spark-plug-pzfr6r

Genuinely grateful for any advice on which of these are suitable, and whether or not the gap must be adjusted. Hoping to get both cars done this week with a bit of luck.

Thanks,

Richard

Thanks George, I ordered the Denso SJK20CR plugs at £9.53 each from www.sparkplugs.co.uk plus a 5l carton of Quantum 5w30 fully synthetic oil direct from Parks Group @ £25. Just need to sort out an oil filter now (already changed air filter and pollen filter) and then hand car over to the mechanic we trust and that should be a good job done.

Many thanks.

ps. Having a spot of bother picking out best oil filter, Opie does Mahle, Eurocarparts offer Bosch, Crosland and Mann. 

I now use the Mahle, Only £3.50 plus VAT.  (OC 295)

Not using it because cheap but i like it, and can change easy enough between Oil Changes.

George, can I ask where you found it at that price? And do you know if it comes with sump plug or do I need to order that separately? Sorry for being an absolute pest, but your help and advice, and that of others, is greatly appreciated.

D&A Motor Factors,  but Dingbro would be the same i think.   They are just cheap filters. 

PS

I will get one for you tomorrow if you want to pick it up from me on Wednesday.

Going to see 'Gordon is a Moron' i think.

Ask about Spark Plug change intervals.

• Like 1

D&A Motor Factors,  but Dingbro would be the same i think.   They are just cheap filters. 

PS

I will get one for you tomorrow if you want to pick it up from me on Wednesday.

Going to see 'Gordon is a Moron' i think.

Ask about Spark Plug change intervals.

That's an unbelievable offer of help George, and one I am grateful to accept, so yes I would be delighted if you could pick an oil filter up for me, and I'll happily meet up with you on Wednesday to collect same and square you up. I'll email or message you for details of meeting point and time, many thanks.

And good luck with Gordon and spark plug service intervals, I would put money on him saying 60 or 70 thousand just as he did with me.

• Like 1

Bit of an amateur question but when do I know that they need changing? Service history was at 10k and 17k (just before I bought mine) should the service be detailed? This is only my 3rd car you see. 1st one was stolen 2 years into owning it. The MK1 vrs got serviced and MOTd every November and now I have this 13 plate MK2. So bit unsure on what to look for etc.

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave, I'm pretty sure goneoffski or one of the other knowledgeable lads will keep you right, the Skoda suggested service interval for spark plugs per the handbook is 40,000 miles but due to some owners finding out the hard way that not all are good to last 40k, many owners change well before that distance has been reached in an attempt to minimise the risk of spark plug failure and/ or misfiring problems, some change as often as every 20k if not sooner.

You can tell by removing them from the engine and checking them, but if like me you're relatively unsure as to what to look for when you have done this you might be better asking a local friendly mechanic to do this for you, I'm sure there have been photos posted in other threads on here showing what to look for on spark plugs that are failing, or indeed have failed.

Thanks George, wee man's car going back into garage tomorrow, and after reading post 32 again I hope this is only a case of a pipe not correctly refitted rather than have to go through the rigmarole that the other poster had to go through. If his car ends up having to go into the SEAT dealer he'll go mental.

Thanks George, wee man's car going back into garage tomorrow, and after reading post 32 again I hope this is only a case of a pipe not correctly refitted rather than have to go through the rigmarole that the other poster had to go through. If his car ends up having to go into the SEAT dealer he'll go mental.

Just a quick update to let folks know the problem is now resolved, and it was indeed a somewhat simple fix in relative terms. Turns out the garage had taken off some of the pipework in getting to the left hand plug, and in the course of doing so a small seal on a vacuum pipe had come off without the lad noticing it had come away, thankfully the problem was found quickly and rectified, the wee car is now going like a bomb.

Thanks to goneoffski and others for advice again.

• Like 2

The Plugs Main Dealers now fit are

03c0905601B

NGK SIZFR6B8EG  @ 0.7mm   (96209)  Less than £12 each.

http://opieoils.co.uk

I would go with the DENSO plugs though. the SKJ20CR  unless there are now newer ones.

Looks like maybe now PKJ20CR.

Best Check.  

sparkplugs.co.uk offer SKJ20CR whilst opieloils.co.uk offers the PKJ20CR. Which are the correct ones or do you think there both the same? 

The SKJ20CR were the correct ones and they appear now to have been superseded by the PKJ20CR, 

but i have not bought or fitted the PKJ as i had bought some SKJ when the price was low.

I see, just wanted to check as I want to get some decent oil and spark plugs ready for my service next month.

My son just had the SJK fitted to his Bocanegra (same 1.4tsi engine as Vrs), bought from Sparkplugs.co.uk for £9 odd each inc Vat, big difference to standard plugs that were in place. They were also selling the PKJ at around £13 each, haven't used them so can't offer any comment.

All I can say for the Denso SJK ones fitted to the wee man's car is that what goneoffski said previously about twinchargers with new plugs loving a cold, damp day is spot on....pulls very well and is running well. 

• Like 2