The YETI is being withdrawn

skoda1982

Perhaps the Yeti and BMW 1 series owners can huddle together in a corner and comfort each other on the glory days when cars were allowed to be a bit 'marmite' (the 1 series goes FWD in it's next incarnation and no doubt a more generic look)

They robbed it of any true character when the made the fl look like a taller Rapid and now they've placed the Octavias Scout under the copier and hit +20% on the height. Oh dear, the beginning of the end for Skoda with character is here. :(

Given that VAG already have the Audi Q3 and VW Tiguan, they would be stupid to try and make the Yeti more 'fashionable'. If I was in charge, I'd try and make the Yeti MORE utilitarian and austere, clearly segregate it from the other cars in the VAG stable.

The objective should be to maximise VAG sales, not individually maximise Skoda, SEAT, Audi and VW sales with them all fighting for the same ground.

• Like 3

I said you better change yours quick! :notme:

But it's been no secret that the Yeti is being replaced is it?

Where is everyone getting all this info from?

All the "stuff" I have seen in the last week has been some SPECULATION about some supposed new larger 4x4, a 4x4 coupe (??) and a possible Mark 2 Yeti.

Note the word in capitals!!

As and when Skoda provide a press release then I will consider what I will be doing. One thing is definite, I won't be hurrying!!

• Like 1

As I said, SPECULATION!!

The black thing is an engineering mule that has been discussed on here several times in the past, and the other one in the "bog" is a normal Yeti Outdoor.

• Like 1

What do people want to see in a new yet? Thinking about this has made me think how good the current Yeti is. I'd like to buy a similar size to the current yet but with a 2wd diesel auto, but I'd like to see a 200bhp + Yeti in the range

rapidly getting to the point where the only difference between a VW and a skoda are the grill and badges

getting to be same boxes just squashed or stretched a bit, was one of the things that caused me to walk away

not longer got a character and easily recognisable

stick a fabia, rapid, and Octavia so you can only see the front and try and tell them apart, from 20 metres

What do people want to see in a new yet? Thinking about this has made me think how good the current Yeti is. I'd like to buy a similar size to the current yet but with a 2wd diesel auto, but I'd like to see a 200bhp + Yeti in the range

But is that a Yeti? If you want lots of performance, head over the Audi where they'll be happy to sell you a 340(!) bhp Q3. I think it's a mistake to try and make the Yeti, Q3 and Tiguan more similar. I don't understand the marketing strategy at VAG.

But is that a Yeti? If you want lots of performance, head over the Audi where they'll be happy to sell you a 340(!) bhp Q3. I think it's a mistake to try and make the Yeti, Q3 and Tiguan more similar. I don't understand the marketing strategy at VAG.

I see your point, but a hailo car in the range even if they don't sell would increasing desirability. I totally agree that there does not seem to be a point making the VAG SUVs similar. Skodas strengths appear to be clever design and value but uniquely (to my eyes) with Yeti was great design which may be missing with the next one

I still struggle to explain to the "Mrs" that my SEAT Exeo is in-fact an mid-noughties Audi A4 Avant with a new nose and tail, she can't see it...

post-131585-0-84056800-1442613496_thumb.jpeg

VW group cars have really been turning into badge engineering exercises for the last few years now and it's a shame. That said I ordered my "old style" Yeti 150 tdi, DSG, L&K today, I just preferred it to the alternatives and figured the replacement is a way off yet... :)

Edited by Jimrod

I think we need to look wider than the UK for the reasons car styles/shapes change. There are much bigger markets out there than the UK and from what I've read the Yeti is not selling anything like as well as it could in, for example, the Asian market where It's style, particularly the pre-facelift, wasn't well received.

Marketing strategies of multi-nationals therefore have take account of their multi-national customer base and as is the case in any market driven economy, they will have to bias their products to their largest customer base.

Where is everyone getting all this info from?

All the "stuff" I have seen in the last week has been some SPECULATION about some supposed new larger 4x4, a 4x4 coupe (??) and a possible Mark 2 Yeti.

Note the word in capitals!!

As and when Skoda provide a press release then I will consider what I will be doing. One thing is definite, I won't be hurrying!!

Whilst what you say is true the Yeti in it's present guise (original and facelift) has been around for quite a few years now and in line with other model replacements is due for one. The major questions are when and what it will look like, which is when the speculation comes in.

With the latest release of the Yeti having the Adblue filler in the boot rather than under the filler flap i.e. a quick and cheap fix, hints at this models limited life expectancy.

Anyway, we all enjoy this sort of discussion, it's one of the reasons forums exist!

• Like 1

Given that VAG already have the Audi Q3 and VW Tiguan, they would be stupid to try and make the Yeti more 'fashionable'. If I was in charge, I'd try and make the Yeti MORE utilitarian and austere, clearly segregate it from the other cars in the VAG stable.

The objective should be to maximise VAG sales, not individually maximise Skoda, SEAT, Audi and VW sales with them all fighting for the same ground.

I agree, the trouble is that they are considerably more expensive, especially when you start adding the extras - my Yeti has stuff that was an extra on my A6 Avant Black Edition!

Thing is though, the new Yeti could be 3 years away, which is a long time in car design. I've had cars like the Audi 80 estate which when I had one I thought was the dogs, but when I see one now they look really dated.

In 3 years our views will have changed and in most (though not all) cases the designers tend to get it right. They replace/update a car which I think initially isn't right/I don't like but over time you get used to/like and then think the previous model does start to look dated.

As I said, not always though. I had two Passat estates with the rounded rear lights (can't remember the model configuration) and still think that was the more complete design. For me the latest version (and that goes for the CC) with it's angular lights and grill etc. is at odds with the design of the body. I had three Passat estates on the trot but the new design put paid to any more.

The existing Yeti does divide opinion and is one of the reasons it has sold well, but as said, manufacturers have to look at the global market not just us who like quirky!

I've no doubt that we will look back and think our current cars look dated!

In 3 years our views will have changed and in most (though not all) cases the designers tend to get it right. 

I think my point is that there's no such thing as 'right'. A manufacturer like VAG should take three models like the Yeti, Tiguan and Q3 and work to differentiate them as much as possible. Of course they will share the same mechanicals and electronics, but the cosmetic design and features can be very different. In my opinion the Q3 should be shooting for the luxury market and the Yeti should the shooting for the utilitarian, austere market. Take out the toys bring the cost down as far as possible...

This way the market covered by by the three cars together will be greater than what we have at the moment with the three covering a similar narrow market.  In my opinion this is a mistake and has let cars like the Dacia Duster steal some of what should be the Yeti's market.

• Like 1

I'm talking more about the end design rather than the basic concept, if you know what I mean, but you're right.

I've getting increasingly confused with VW's overall marketing strategy, particularly now that cars in the Seat and Skoda ranges are harder to differentiate from Audis and in some cases are better looking! There is so much overlap and well specced Octavias and Superbs are expensive cars now.

But VW are very successful! And for many Audi are still seen as the car to strive for in the group.

Funnily enough, when on holiday this year we had a Dacia Sandero as a hire car and on return was seriously considering one or a Duster as our no frills, runaround etc. In some ways the Yeti, even as it is now, is too good and I've gone back to worrying about where I park it etc!

Edited by VAGCF

Skoda Europe have always insisted they use their own design facilities rather be pressurised by VW. But the way that the marque is progressing,

with a company "nose" to all the cars similar to the other sheep manufacturers, they are losing their identity. Importantly, each model should be

instantly recognisable from the others, unlike VW, Audi, BMW to name a few. The current trend by car designers however is to bland each model from £10K to £40K (or more so with Audi and BMW)so they look like adverts from a zombie screen. All look the same and boring! The original Yeti sold amazingly well and was generally well received new and second hand. The facelift normalised it and washed the character out of the car from the outside. They could have done a far better job, given that the rest of the car didn`t need changing! Are Skoda happy to lose all these customers in a few years time when change is needed and all there is on the market are corporate blobs?