Skoda rapid 1.2 tsi

Hi all im looking at buying a Skoda rapid 1.2 tsi se. Couple of things read the 1.4 tsi engine can be troublesome snapping chain's. Does the 1.2 variant have any similar problems. The car im looking at is a 2013 model. Currently showing 14 k on the clock main dealer selling it for 8 k does this seem a reasonable price. Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

The 1.2tsi has a chain, but I'm not aware of any issues with them snapping. It's quite an established engine now and tghey must have produced millions, so I would hope any bugs like that have been ironed out. The price seems ok, but it depends on the trim level.

If it's 2012 / early 2013 the spec might be a bit mean.  e.g. no fogs on the SE. 

Also the ride and steering are rather worse on early ones. Mid/late 2013 saw the Spaceback come out with better suspension and steering. This was put on the hatchback at the same time.

Not certain but i think the 14TSi issues go a few years further back - might even be the Twincharger TSi thats the troublesome one.

The 1.2 is a mature motor (2009) although I think you are right it had troubles in its early years too.

Edited by camelspyyder

There are 2 power levels for the 1.2 TSi, 86bhp 5 speed or 105bhp 6 speed.

The 86 is economical, the 105 not so much (real world that is - EU figures claim the 105 is as good or better)

105 is a fun drive for a 1.2 though.

Edited by camelspyyder

You can get the armrest and fit it yourself, but I wouldn't bother. It gets in the way of the handbrake and many of us that already have the armrest (inc me) have it pushed out of the way most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

I'd go for the 105 brake version. The arm rest can be found on superskoda. £8k price ticket is down to you and how you feel. Might be worth looking for a seat Toledo at the same time as they're pretty much the same car... I love our Rapids (the white one we had and the black one we now have...)

• Like 1

You could get a brand new Dacia Logan for £8k OTR. Worth knowing when haggling over price.

Looking at the Seat Toledo is definitely a good idea. It is the same car, but with lower 2nd hand prices and generally higher spec models.

regarding the armrest: I haven't found it interfers with gear changing, but it does interfer with the handbrake. solution: just apply the handbrake in a different way or lift the rest out of the way before you do apply it! I would much prefer to have the handy storage space than not; and i do like to rest my arm. It aint no thing, get one!

The early Rapids have hydraulic power steering, which is not as precise as the electric system used on the Spaceback and later notchbacks. To distinguish the two look for a filler cap for the hydraulic pump in the inner wing structure behind the nearside headlight.

The last car to get this update is the Ibiza, which still used the old system up to the recent introduction of the second facelift MY16. Driven my lads MY15 Ibiza a few times now and the less precise steering is the first thing I notice whenever I drive it.

TP

You could get a brand new Dacia Logan for £8k OTR. Worth knowing when haggling over price.

Looking at the Seat Toledo is definitely a good idea. It is the same car, but with lower 2nd hand prices and generally higher spec models.

Looked at dacia cars as a option but when I had a good look at them wasn't impressed. Really cheap interiors etc I think long term the rapid is a safer bet.

• Like 1

Looked at dacia cars as a option but when I had a good look at them wasn't impressed. Really cheap interiors etc I think long term the rapid is a safer bet.

I agree but I am on my second rapid. Having said that I'm now realising that the rapid (saloon looking one) appears to be the black sheep in the briskoda forums! Especially from the superb drivers that seem to think they drive the best car ever built! He he... I think long term the rapid is better than the Dacia, I'm sure there are better cars than the rapid but ours has everything I/we need.

• Like 1

I am the first to criticise the Rapid but the 1.2 tsi 105 bhp is a nice engine, mines just loosened up, 5k now and it pulls well and with the little turbo it feels strong. MPG isn't great but it's getting better as the engine wears in and it even sounds quite good when pushed hard. The Rapid is also a nice looking car too especially the sport. Right that's enough positive stuff from me, I'm starting to feel light headed!

• Like 2

I agree but I am on my second rapid. Having said that I'm now realising that the rapid (saloon looking one) appears to be the black sheep in the briskoda forums! Especially from the superb drivers that seem to think they drive the best car ever built! He he... I think long term the rapid is better than the Dacia, I'm sure there are better cars than the rapid but ours has everything I/we need.

What's the ride like read its quite harsh. I think it's a superb second hand buy excuse the pun. Ticks all my boxes whys it the black sheep. Have to say not seen many on the road.

Oh dear I'm going to be positive again but it's not too harsh, in any case I prefer the more German harder ride. Mines has Lowe suspension fitted by Skoda so it does ride better, although it's likely they fitted the wrong kit, long story, I won't bore you. The Rapid I bought had some unexpected problems, all sorted but not what I expected when buying a nearly new car. I haven't had any problems for a while now so I'm starting to trust the car a bit. Overall build quality isn't great but it is built to a budget, I looked at Dacias and found they we not well built at all.

What's the ride like read its quite harsh. I think it's a superb second hand buy excuse the pun. Ticks all my boxes whys it the black sheep. Have to say not seen many on the road.

Most of the road tests date back to the launch in 2012 when ride was not well received at all by the press, although the petrol is not as bad as the diesel.

late 2013 saw the improved settings from the Spaceback applied to the hatchback so those cars ride better. the one you've described is early spec though.

Most of the road tests date back to the launch in 2012 when ride was not well received at all by the press, although the petrol is not as bad as the diesel.

late 2013 saw the improved settings from the Spaceback applied to the hatchback so those cars ride better. the one you've described is early spec though.

Ride Can't be as bad as my current car Honda civic 8 gen. Ride is shocking anyway going to test drive it tomorrow hopefully all goes well I will buy it.

• Like 1

I think someone has got there before me, the early ones were apparently a little harsh, both of mine have been 2013 mid models so had some updates. I think the ride is ok... I've driven worse and driven far better, I think the state of the UK road network is getting worse rather than my car's suspension set up. Its no sports car and personally I think they sit a little higher than they should (lets not get started on the 'Skoda Approved lowering springs'!). It does me fine. I say black sheep because of some limited views and people focusing on the non-soft touch interior trims and the fact that they're like everything built to a price point. Overall I'm very happy with our rapid and would recommend them.

Took the rapid out for a test drive was not impressed. Choppy ride lots of rear road noise. Gear change was not great either compared to my civic. So didn't go for it in the end. However while I was there they had a Octavia 1.4 tsi se on a 12 plate for the same money. So took that out for a test drive and was impressed very smooth more comfortable. So ended up with a Octavia instead. Still a Skoda all the same. Thanks for all your input. Pick it up Friday