Russia in Syria

Well they'll have to be able to show both the US and China that Russia is still a big man soon enough.

Maybe it's that?

A big filling station? For now they've managed to show that while the world economy grows by 3.3%, Russian economy declines by 4%.

Navy's need forward bases or they cannot operate effectively far from home.

Yes, of course, maybe it makes sense from the military standpoint. I don't see why they need it from the political standpoint.

Yes, of course, maybe it makes sense from the military standpoint. I don't see why they need it from the political standpoint.

How are the economic sanctions biting in Moscow?

Political distraction - get involved in another conflict - get more popularity :)

Political distraction - get involved in another conflict - get more popularity :)

The in laws regularly go to Bulgaria and their friends out there say that there has been a big drop off in Russian holiday makers this year.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Pretty nasty, as you may guess :)

Yes, this is always a consideration, of course.

Putin is a cleaver guy. Plan A ?, turn up in Syria, create havoc and then negotiate the lifting of sanctions if he redeploys troops back to Russia. He then keeps part of Ukraine without further penalty.....   :sun:

OK I have probably been reading too much Follett. 

The A-mericans are in no position to lecture Putin given that they just bombed a hospital in Afghanistan today, kiiling 16 people including 9 doctors.

Yes but when the USA does this it is just a b***s up, the Russians will do this intentionally.    

He doesn't need to. Taxpayers do it for him. And this:

so it doesn't matter how rich you are, if you can be arrested, put in jail and have your money taken away, the guy who can do that to you is the most powerful person in Russia.

also applies to himself. That's why he is not going to leave power of his own free will (and will advocate every dictator in a similar situation).

• 4 weeks later...

BS to me, as it sounds like a stall, not a shooting down.

Does look the aircraft fell out of the sky, so something fairly catastrophic must have occurred.

• Like 1

Islamic State - The "dun it Duncan" of the real world....! "I dun that, yeah, I nicked that.... and that other one last week".  Maybe if we gave them an ASBO (ISBO?!?) they'd keep quiet for a while.

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/Done_It_Duncan

As for the airliner, too soon to say categorically what happened. Could even be a software glitch!

As for the airliner, too soon to say categorically what happened. Could even be a software glitch!

Would a software glitch cause a plane to break up in mid air?

With "fly by wire" and a mode that causes the aircraft to use positive feedback rather than negative for stabilisation, yes that's possible.

Edited by KenONeill

Theoretically, a software glitch could cause thrust reverser to deploy in flight, similar to this accident: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Air_Flight_004

The aircraft broke up in mid-air on the way down at 4,000 feet (1,200 meters)

Edited by briskycat