should i speck the canton upgrade or stick with standard ?

Good opportunity for me to further my previous point (he says himself) - I've just come home in another mk3 loan car from the dealer. Mine is in till tomorrow have the disappearance of her coolant checked out. I have canton but the loan doesn't obviously and I've using the same bluetooth source from my phone and there is quite a difference between the two. It is simply like someone took the sub and a few speakers out of my car and in turn taken the "feel" out of the music. I thought of your question and was thankful I have canton for my daily driving.

• Like 1

Will be a bit of both...

The amp in the head unit will only be 15-20W per channel at best, so upgrading the speakers would be a bit of a wasted task IMHO.

I used to fit audio in my youth...and one of the most important starting points is your head unit / amplifier, before you think about speakers.

I agree that a decent head unit amp makes a big difference, although naff speakers with poor sensitivity won't help either.

And what's the difference in cost between paying for the upgrade, and buying dynamat and replacing all the speakers?

Not a lot, but if there's a car without it and you want to upgrade, I guess it's a case of is it worth putting in decent speakers.

As for the dynamat type stuff, worth doing regardless of vehicle if you want to retain some privacy on your phone calls and keep the road noise down anyway.

I agree that a decent head unit amp makes a big difference, although naff speakers with poor sensitivity won't help either.

Not a lot, but if there's a car without it and you want to upgrade, I guess it's a case of is it worth putting in decent speakers.

As for the dynamat type stuff, worth doing regardless of vehicle if you want to retain some privacy on your phone calls and keep the road noise down anyway.

I quite fancy adding some deadening when I get mine to reduce the road noise that I was aware of on the test drive. It seems easy enough to do in most places but what is it like to take the doors apart?

I must be a luddite. I don't think there's anything wrong with the standard setup!!

Nothing wrong with liking the standard setup but technically I do not think you qualify as a Luddite :)

Lots of factors involved such as how good/bad your hearing is, maybe age related (?), type of music, quality of source, experience and expectations to name but a few.

Like you I am basically satisfied with the standard 8 speaker system although I was surprisingly impressed by a similar basic system in a Ford Focus which was a lot better IMO.

I was intrigued by one thread that suggested the value of the crossover resistors was incorrect and had achieved far better sound when they were changed.

I like the idea of getting good returns on small investments

Edited by Gerrycan

My complaint with the stock systems in the O3 have always been not that they sound bad....they just simply do not go loud enough.

I think the O3's level of road noise probably doesnt help it as its frankly not the quietest car ive been in, but it artificially cuts volume at certain frequencies and is both bloody obvious and awful in equal measure.

Chalk and cheese from the Mk2 I have prior....the stock system in that went super loud...was extremely bassy and was verging on premium audio levels of sound quality all from bogo speakers and 20w x 4 amplification. Dont get me wrong it wasnt subtle and it did vibrate the rear door trims horribly but I never wanted for more all the while I had that car.

Ive recently had a MIB1 based Mk7 GTD and now a MIB2 based one and both sound better than the Octavia and seem to go louder.

Apologies for late response. Have to disagree with Pipsyreturns. Sorry. There IS a marked difference between MIB1 and MIB2, which is greater levels bass and a more balanced sound. This also means that the volume can be increased without distortion. Like I said, I drove these back to back, so the difference was obvious. However, that said, depends on how LOUD you want it. Obviously the Canton will be better, it's just what price you put on that. I'm happy with my MY16 standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Apologies for late response. Have to disagree with Pipsyreturns. Sorry. There IS a marked difference between MIB1 and MIB2, which is greater levels bass and a more balanced sound. This also means that the volume can be increased without distortion. Like I said, I drove these back to back, so the difference was obvious. However, that said, depends on how LOUD you want it. Obviously the Canton will be better, it's just what price you put on that. I'm happy with my MY16 standard.

You are misunderstanding me.

I have MIB1 Amundsen in a Mk3 Octy...doesnt sound terrible but had really bad frequency levelling. Put a really challenging tune on, sounds fine but past half vol just gets no louder....clips the ass out of the volume and bass output.

Had MIB1 Bolero equiv in a GTD, still limited the volume a bit but went much louder than the Octy, the clipping far less obvious. The Golf has far better sound deadening though which no doubt helps.

Now have MIB2 amundsen equiv in a newer GTD and seems that bit better still though the cars so new the speakers havent really bedded in yet.

Overall none of the systems arent bad to the degree Id warrant Canton/Dynaudio a necessity....Id have liked it but its a few hundred quid I think Id personally rather save on the cost of the car.....if I were buying used or ex demo id probably look for the upgrade though.

You are misunderstanding me.

I have MIB1 Amundsen in a Mk3 Octy...doesnt sound terrible but had really bad frequency levelling. Put a really challenging tune on, sounds fine but past half vol just gets no louder....clips the ass out of the volume and bass output.

Had MIB1 Bolero equiv in a GTD, still limited the volume a bit but went much louder than the Octy, the clipping far less obvious. The Golf has far better sound deadening though which no doubt helps.

Now have MIB2 amundsen equiv in a newer GTD and seems that bit better still though the cars so new the speakers havent really bedded in yet.

Overall none of the systems arent bad to the degree Id warrant Canton/Dynaudio a necessity....Id have liked it but its a few hundred quid I think Id personally rather save on the cost of the car.....if I were buying used or ex demo id probably look for the upgrade though.

No worries. Think we both agree the Canton is a nice to have rather than can't live without. Also think the digital input had a part to play with how the system has been "tuned" , my SD card files are crystal. DAB is good too. Not really used my aux in or USB. Bluetooth is ok. Every now and then it drops out for second, but comes straight back. Sound is decent but not a patch on the SD files.

gazv70 was your VRS MY15 or MY16? I only ask as I had the use of a MY15 with Amundsen for the two weeks directly before my MY16 VRS was delivered and the difference on the balance and levels is very noticeable. The new MIB2 units are much improved. I regularly bang out a bit of Drum and Bass in the car and the sound is very impressive. Whack a bit of Deadmau5 on, turn it up and it's a very capable system. As far as factory fit goes. The MY15 set up is just plain wrong. And when heard back to back the difference is clear. So if it was a MY16 you drove and you're not happy, then fair enough. But if it wasn't (and by your "tinny" comment I doubt it was) I'd sample a MIB2 unit from an MY16 car first before shelling out.

I tend to agree on this.  I'm glad I didn't spend the extra.  Whilst I do love my music, the standard unit is quite capable.  Granted there are some tracks it just can't handle and it needs turning down a bit but I've saved myself further grief from the mrs had I added another extra on my MY16 :)

No worries. Think we both agree the Canton is a nice to have rather than can't live without. Also think the digital input had a part to play with how the system has been "tuned" , my SD card files are crystal. DAB is good too. Not really used my aux in or USB. Bluetooth is ok. Every now and then it drops out for second, but comes straight back. Sound is decent but not a patch on the SD files.

Definitely. Poor quality audio sources show the systems up. I think if you jack the bass, mid and trebble up sufficiently and feed it with high bit rate digital audio none of the systems sound really bad.

God only knows why VAG employed the silly frequency capping software.....id rather decent sound at risk of blowing a driver than have it massively handicapped to prevent it. I think it was badly implemented on the earlier MIB1 equipped Octavias to prevent complaints of door trim rattles...given they are all hard plastic and have v little sound deadening in them.

Its odd but something I have noticed between the O3 and the Golf 7....the engine is so much harsher in the O3 even though its a 150 and ought to be a bit sweeter than the 184 in the Golf. Also other than tyre roar (the Golf has its share of that) the Golf is alot quieter otherwise. I do think the difference in sound deadening between the two really plays a part in audio quality too....as others have said Id wager chucking some dynamat in the doors and boot the audio will sound better still.

update test drove a brand new scout manual today 70 miles on clock stereo sounded far better than the 64 plate vrs i tested a few weeks ago so maybe just go with standard set up BUT what about the booming in the cab when doing over 60 wtf is this a scout thing or estate issue this could put me off a sale.but i think if i do go ahead ille be going for scout dsg for the extra power, manual was great but just missing the extra punch in my opinion.